http://www.in-cumbria.com/popular-posti ... ws-archive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A POPULAR Whitehaven postman, who provides good customer service to residents and businesses, has retired.
Bob Robey says he has thoroughly enjoyed meeting and talking to people in the six years he worked as a postman in the town centre. He has even sent personalised Christmas cards to his customers signing them from Postman Bob!
One of his customers contacted The Whitehaven News to say: “I would like to wish the magnificent Bob the Whitehaven town centre postie a healthy and very happy retirement. He is a smasher. Always friendly, smiley and efficient.
“I will miss him and his beaming smile, as I am sure many of the town centre shopkeepers will as well, as he chatted his way around this delivery route each day. All too often we forget to appreciate and say thank you to people like Bob and this is my way of hopefully making him feel special for the lovely and professional way he did his job.”
Bob says following his retirement customers have kindly given him gifts including a book on local dialect, which has proved useful for the postie, who is originally from Birmingham.
Bob and his wife, Joan, moved to Egremont six years ago. He previously worked in the quality control section of a factory in Birmingham which led to him travelling around the country.
“I’ve always enjoyed meeting new people,” he said. “I wanted to try something different and I’d thought about becoming a postman for a while.”
On moving to Egremont, Bob started working at Royal Mail delivering post to residents and businesses on the two postal routes in Whitehaven town centre.
He said: “I’ve been keeping fit and meeting new people.
“I have made so many new friends, they all keep on saying to me that I need to go and see them when we go into town.”
The 65-year-old says although he may look for another job sometime in the future, he is enjoying his retirement and is currently doing odd-jobs at his Egremont home.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
POPULAR POSTIE BOB HANGS UP HIS MAILBAG
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
POPULAR POSTIE BOB HANGS UP HIS MAILBAG
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: POPULAR POSTIE BOB HANGS UP HIS MAILBAG
OK, I'm first then.
Did he get his breakfast too

Did he get his breakfast too
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio