ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

High price for mail delivery

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

High price for mail delivery

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/High- ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THE postman dropped a card through the door of my 87-year-old mum's house telling her they will not be delivering a letter as there was an underpayment of 9p.

To get the item she could either travel from Sketty to collect it in Llansamlet or pay the outstanding online.

​
However the price is now not 9p, but £1.09.

Anyway I thought I'd pay it online for her then it could be redelivered.

However after being forced to set up an account, I finally got to the payment screen and paid, but I got an error message saying "payment unsuccessful".

I tried again and got the same message, so I checked my card provider who said the card was showing payment as having been taken four times!

Now the fun began, calling Royal Mail Customer services.

This is where the profit really begins as I am put in a queue. After about 20 minutes I gave up.

I tried later and after another 20 minutes an unhelpful agent tells me I will have to phone another number as it's a technical problem and no refund is given for telephone calls.

Only a 10 minute wait this time as I need to know if payment has been made, otherwise the letter will be returned to sender.

A helpful person discusses the problem with the system and transfers again so that I can make a payment so that the letter will be delivered.

If you take into account the profit Royal Mail made from this 9p underpayment with first the £1 for handling added, then the cost of the lengthy waits due to under-staffing of their customer services, we must all be in the wrong business!
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: High price for mail delivery

Post by Lounge Lizard »

"To get the item she could either travel from Sketty to collect it in Llansamlet or pay the outstanding online. However the price is now not 9p, but £1.09." :crazy:
In such circumstances recipients of £1.09 To Pay cards on my round are most likely to give me the card and the cash the following day for the underpaid item to be delivered one day after that. :Very Happy
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: High price for mail delivery

Post by Pinky 1 »

As well as LL's suggestion, why didn't she just put stamps to the value of £1.09 on to the back of the card ?
The item would have then been delivered, saving her a trip to Llansamlet . :hmmmm
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: High price for mail delivery

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Pinky 1 wrote:As well as LL's suggestion, why didn't she just put stamps to the value of £1.09 on to the back of the card ?
The item would have then been delivered, saving her a trip to Llansamlet . :hmmmm
Indeed. A first Class stamp plus a Second Class stamp totals £1.10, just 1p wasted and no trip to Llansamlet. :nana
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: High price for mail delivery

Post by TeeferTiger »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
Pinky 1 wrote:As well as LL's suggestion, why didn't she just put stamps to the value of £1.09 on to the back of the card ?
The item would have then been delivered, saving her a trip to Llansamlet . :hmmmm
Indeed. A first Class stamp plus a Second Class stamp totals £1.10, just 1p wasted and no trip to Llansamlet. :nana
Or even if she was near a post office, she could've got exact postage put on... no 1p wasted or a trip to Llansamlet, and it gets her out the house :wink:
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
FairyFoot
Posts: 78
Joined: 08 Jun 2012, 12:38
Gender: Female

Re: High price for mail delivery

Post by FairyFoot »

To companies make money on 0845 numbers?
I am a Postcrosser, and penpaller. I send nice post.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: High price for mail delivery

Post by Stormproof »

FairyFoot wrote:To companies make money on 0845 numbers?
I don't think they make money on 0845 numbers. A lot of call providers have 0845 numbers free of charge as part of a package.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum