ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Should Royal Mail policy be returned to sender?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Should Royal Mail policy be returned to sender?
http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/latest-n ... -1-4227321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A BUSINESSMAN is outraged by a change in Royal Mail policy that will see undeliverable parcels and packages taken to neighbours instead of back to the sorting office.
Robert Woodhouse, 63, who owns Delawood Antiques in Westgate, Hunstanton and lives above the shop, is urging others who are not happy with the proposal, which Royal Mail has said was popular in trials, to respond to a consultation.
Mr Woodhouse said: “I think it’s a national disgrace and as for the way to opt out being to display a three inch by three inch sticker on your front door that is even more unbelievable.
“It’s the biggest change in the post office system ever. Anything that is bigger than your letter box can now be left with a neighbour who you possibly don’t know and possibly don’t trust.”
Mr Woodhouse also feared the potential consequences for confidential post destined for doctors or solicitors.
Ofcom, the communications watchdog, will decide if the Royal Mail can proceed with the so-called Delivery to Neighbour scheme.
Royal Mail reported 92 per cent of recipients whose post was left with a neighbour in trials were satisfied, six per cent were indifferent and two per cent dissatisfied.
A consultation at http://www.ofcom.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; closes on Wednesday, September 12
A BUSINESSMAN is outraged by a change in Royal Mail policy that will see undeliverable parcels and packages taken to neighbours instead of back to the sorting office.
Robert Woodhouse, 63, who owns Delawood Antiques in Westgate, Hunstanton and lives above the shop, is urging others who are not happy with the proposal, which Royal Mail has said was popular in trials, to respond to a consultation.
Mr Woodhouse said: “I think it’s a national disgrace and as for the way to opt out being to display a three inch by three inch sticker on your front door that is even more unbelievable.
“It’s the biggest change in the post office system ever. Anything that is bigger than your letter box can now be left with a neighbour who you possibly don’t know and possibly don’t trust.”
Mr Woodhouse also feared the potential consequences for confidential post destined for doctors or solicitors.
Ofcom, the communications watchdog, will decide if the Royal Mail can proceed with the so-called Delivery to Neighbour scheme.
Royal Mail reported 92 per cent of recipients whose post was left with a neighbour in trials were satisfied, six per cent were indifferent and two per cent dissatisfied.
A consultation at http://www.ofcom.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; closes on Wednesday, September 12
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Should Royal Mail policy be returned to sender?
Whilst most of us would agree with his concerns, adding "Mr Woodhouse also feared the potential consequences for confidential post destined for doctors or solicitors" doesn't add much to his argument in that doctors and solicitors are generally staffed during the working day and if they're not confidential items, unlike antiques, will mostly fit through a letter box. 
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16702
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Should Royal Mail policy be returned to sender?
Perhaps he meant post from solicitors...Lounge Lizard wrote:Whilst most of us would agree with his concerns, adding "Mr Woodhouse also feared the potential consequences for confidential post destined for doctors or solicitors" doesn't add much to his argument in that doctors and solicitors are generally staffed during the working day
If your solicitor sends you a Recorded Delivery it could end up with a neighbour.
And what, if anything, are people being told about jury citations sent by Recorded Delivery?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Should Royal Mail policy be returned to sender?
About six months ago our local social work department started sending out all it's mail by recorded delivery.
Without going into details the reason they had to do this was because highly sensitive material found it's way into the hands of the neighbour of one of their cases.
Can you imagine the fallout if this scheme causes another incident like this?
Without going into details the reason they had to do this was because highly sensitive material found it's way into the hands of the neighbour of one of their cases.
Can you imagine the fallout if this scheme causes another incident like this?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
pav
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 10:46
Re: Should Royal Mail policy be returned to sender?
the knocking on neighbours is a insane idea the can of worms it is going to open is unbelievable for instants neighbours very friendly take parcels no problem but what if a teenage son with maybe a problem with drugs or drink decides to take where will the suspicion fall on yes you
-
S6 Stroller
- Posts: 199
- Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 23:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Should Royal Mail policy be returned to sender?
This whole idea is going to cause an explosion of complaints. Deeply flawed on every level. No shock there then.
-
FairyFoot
- Posts: 78
- Joined: 08 Jun 2012, 12:38
- Gender: Female
Re: Should Royal Mail policy be returned to sender?
I just requested the delivery to neighbour sticker via the web (received a leaflet through door). The webpage said
The form to request a sticker asked why I wanted to opt out.... I put that I did not trust all of my neighbours.Please note that senders of items will not be able to opt-out from Delivery to Neighbour.
I am a Postcrosser, and penpaller. I send nice post.
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Should Royal Mail policy be returned to sender?
This whole thing is very badly managed (no surprise there then
), I was talking to someone on my duty today about delivery to neighbour, he wanted to know why I didn't leave his packet with the neighbour and I just told him it hadn't started yet................and he told me that I could leave it with x person from now on, that is the way we should be doing it, people letting us know where to deliver it to instead of this random leaving them with random people.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
gary1975
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
- Gender: Male
Re: Should Royal Mail policy be returned to sender?
i will not be knocking on other peoples doors with the amount of packets i get they can have a p739. if asked i will just say i tried the whole thing is a joke couldn't give a toss 4.30 delivery spans that can't be done with a trolley handed back a nice big loop today lol manager said thats one hell of a loop i said well you planned it lol
-
glenfiddich
- Posts: 1012
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15
Re: Should Royal Mail policy be returned to sender?
didnt matter today left all packets so we could collapse a duty 
-
barbario
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 31 Jul 2007, 11:28
Re: Should Royal Mail policy be returned to sender?
Hopefully,Ofom will block this.
-
Patrick Clifton
- Posts: 430
- Joined: 16 May 2010, 12:37
- Gender: Male
- Location: Greendale
Re: Should Royal Mail policy be returned to sender?
This is exactly why it should be an opt-in thing. A sticker for those who have opted-in and somewhere on the sticker it can say words to the effect of 'Preferred neighbours:-' and the homeowner can write in the house number/s of neighbours that packets can be left with.DGP1 wrote:This whole thing is very badly managed (no surprise there then), I was talking to someone on my duty today about delivery to neighbour, he wanted to know why I didn't leave his packet with the neighbour and I just told him it hadn't started yet................and he told me that I could leave it with x person from now on, that is the way we should be doing it, people letting us know where to deliver it to instead of this random leaving them with random people.
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Should Royal Mail policy be returned to sender?
Which is why aren't ruining the businessPatrick Clifton wrote:This is exactly why it should be an opt-in thing. A sticker for those who have opted-in and somewhere on the sticker it can say words to the effect of 'Preferred neighbours:-' and the homeowner can write in the house number/s of neighbours that packets can be left with.DGP1 wrote:This whole thing is very badly managed (no surprise there then), I was talking to someone on my duty today about delivery to neighbour, he wanted to know why I didn't leave his packet with the neighbour and I just told him it hadn't started yet................and he told me that I could leave it with x person from now on, that is the way we should be doing it, people letting us know where to deliver it to instead of this random leaving them with random people.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Should Royal Mail policy be returned to sender?
If I can be controversial I think your both looking at it from the point of senders and receivers. However in my estimation this "scheme" was not brought in with either in mind. This is ultimately a budget saving tool, nothing more nothing less. It will save on re-deliveries, it will save on resourcing the callers office, it will cut down the admin costs for Local Collect, its more likely to fill (well actually over fill) our working day so it will seem more efficient and will be reflected in future budgets. This is as I say for ££££££ nothing else.DGP1 wrote:Which is why aren't ruining the businessPatrick Clifton wrote:This is exactly why it should be an opt-in thing. A sticker for those who have opted-in and somewhere on the sticker it can say words to the effect of 'Preferred neighbours:-' and the homeowner can write in the house number/s of neighbours that packets can be left with.DGP1 wrote:This whole thing is very badly managed (no surprise there then), I was talking to someone on my duty today about delivery to neighbour, he wanted to know why I didn't leave his packet with the neighbour and I just told him it hadn't started yet................and he told me that I could leave it with x person from now on, that is the way we should be doing it, people letting us know where to deliver it to instead of this random leaving them with random people.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Should Royal Mail policy be returned to sender?
An FOI on this subject - should be interesting to see the response.
Dear Royal Mail Group Limited,
With reference to your planned 'Neighbour Delivery Scheme' I
recently received your leaflet, informing me that from late
September (subject to regulatory approval) I will be:
a) Automatically opted in to the scheme.
b) Any parcels bound for me might be left with someone unspecified
by myself should I not be at home/answer the door in time.
c) Will be asked take receipt of packages on a more regular basis
than before this scheme began.
The leaflet states that if I wish to not be part of this scheme
(opt out) that I need to register with your website or call you in
order to apply for a sticker to be displayed near my letterbox.
Not accepting this as a viable option, and nor having any wish to
register on your website, I phoned your customer service number in
order to inquire what the alternative would be to displaying the
sticker.
Not only could this question not be answered by your at least three
of your customer service staff, but you were unable to even tell me
what size the sticker would be. I was then given the option to turn
my inquiry into a complaint, which I was told would be passed along
for a more detailed and I'd hoped informed response.
The subsequent letter I received in response gave no more
information than already given on your original leaflet and bore no
reference to the questions I asked.
With the above in mind:
1. The consulation information given on your website states your
trial involved only 360 households. Is this correct?
2. If #1 is correct, do you think 360 out of an estimated 26
million households in the UK is a sufficient amount to gain a true
reflection of public opinion?
3. Why were no areas in the Midlands involved in the trial?
4. Why is everybody to be automatically opted in and have to go to
the bother of having to opt out of something they've not been
consulted on?
5. What are the dimensions of the 'opt out' sticker?
6. When a household opts out of the scheme, will their information
be recorded as no longer participating in the scheme?
7. If a person should not wish to display a sticker on or near
their door, but also not want to be a part of this scheme, what
other alternative is available?
Yours faithfully,
P Jones
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.