ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Bronze postbox makes mail chiefs see red

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Bronze postbox makes mail chiefs see red

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2012-08- ... s-see-red/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Royal Mail is to repaint a postbox red despite a Facebook campaign to keep it bronze in honour of one of our Olympians.

Over 2,000 people want the unofficial tribute in Lowestoft in Suffolk to stay in celebration of local boxer Anthony Ogogo.

The middleweight fighter beat the world number one on his way to winning a bronze at the London Games.

Mother-of-three Clare Robson set up the Save Anthony Ogogo's bronze postbox page on Facebook after a mystery fan painted the postbox in Rectory Road.

It really inspired a lot of conversation in the family about drive and determination and Olympic spirit so when I found out that it was actually a rogue postbox and it was due to be repainted red I was really disappointed about that so I thought I'd see how many people I could get to support me int the hope it would stay bronze.

I think we're just very proud of our local lad. He's done really well and I personally think that bronze, silver and gold should all be honoured in the same way.

– Clare Robson

Anthony Agogo is thrilled even though it's an unofficial tribute.

He returned home to Lowestoft on Tuesday to a raptuous welcome... clearly overwhelmed by the support from the town.

"Speechless. I am so overwhelmed.. it's phenomenal .. I don't know what to say. I am doing silly things with my arms I don't know why. This is amazing somehing I've dreamed of - people in Lowestoft supporting me."

Royal Mail has been honouring British gold medallists by painting more than 50 postboxes gold. It hasn't decided how long they'll remain gold but says unofficial ones like the one in Lowestoft will be repainted as soon as possible.

A spokesman said : "We'd appreciate it if the public would leave the painting of postboxes to us."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Bronze postbox makes mail chiefs see red

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Why's it all about Royal Mail painting postboxes gold or bronze, not the local authority painting a lamppost or something similar a winning colour ? :crazy:
chunk
Posts: 957
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 20:21
Gender: Male

Re: Bronze postbox makes mail chiefs see red

Post by chunk »

it was only a matter of time. :Very Happy
rm should leave it alone. and avoid exacerbating the situation.
I'm a postman-and i know where you live.....
Mr Rush
Posts: 3352
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

Re: Bronze postbox makes mail chiefs see red

Post by Mr Rush »

chunk wrote:rm should leave it alone. and avoid exacerbating the situation.
Dare I say, they shouldn't have come up with the scheme in the first place. Now the PR stunt has inspired everyone to repaint RM street furniture at whim :Applause
The machine stops.
chunk
Posts: 957
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 20:21
Gender: Male

Re: Bronze postbox makes mail chiefs see red

Post by chunk »

you right ! rm stunt backfires. but they love throwing petrol on the fires.
I'm a postman-and i know where you live.....
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Bronze postbox makes mail chiefs see red

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

All part of a scheme to take publicity away from "teething issues."