http://www.berwick-advertiser.co.uk/new ... -1-2410689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BERWICK postman is hanging up his postbag after nearly 40 years of delivering letters and parcels.
John Law says he will be doing the traditional things in his retirement, like golfing and enjoying time with his wife, Myra.
“I’m not much of a golfer, but I’ve had my clubs re-gripped, so that’ll be a nice occasion now and then to meet people and have a bit of a chat. And there are a couple of grandsons who were rubbing their hands at the thought of a retired grandad in their summer holidays!”
One thing that he won’t be missing is the weather. John says that the recent cold winters have been some of the hardest he has had to work in. But even then, he found things to enjoy on his rural routes.
One frosty morning in Ladykirk in particular stayed wth him.
“These last two years have be like nothing I’ve ever seen. There was this blanket of snow, and these beautiful bare trees and a meadow with the estate house - it was just a picture. It was such a pity that I never had a camera with me.”
John has a softer spot regarding that other traditional enemy of the postie - the dog.
He remembers being bitten by a ladies’ poodle as he delivered post in a shop.
“It got me on my ankle,” he said, “and I turned to the woman who was getting her groceries and said, ‘Hey, your dog just bit me’. She never raised an eyebrow, just said, ‘Oh, he always gets the postman,’ and went on shopping!”
“I always talk to the dogs. When I was training up my replacement, this one dachshund was yapping at him. I said to the dog, ‘Hey, be gentle with him, like you were with me’. Then it rolled over to have it’s belly tickled.”
John says he will miss the people on his routes who he has met in the last 38 years.
“I was lucky to have worked both sides of the border. I’ve met all different types of people. The postman sees a lot. He’s there with the birthday cards, the exam results, all the milestones in life.”
And it is evident from the cards, presents and bottles of whisky now decorating his front room that he will be equally missed.
Myra says this was because her postie husband always went out of his way to help.
“When we were in town,” she said, “it was never just our own shopping we were doing. He was always getting bits and bobs to take for other folk, especially the older people on his routes.”
This willingness to help sometimes brought John close to trouble.
“There was this one older lady who I used to deliver to,” he told the ‘Advertiser’ “One morning, as we were talking, she said, ‘I’m struggling a bit today, would you do me a favour and tie my laces for me? So, I did them up for her, and the next time I see her, I asked how she was and she said, ‘I’m fine, and my doctor is very impressed with how my laces are tied!’”
John was rewarded for his service in other ways, including being voted ‘Postman of the Year’ for the whole UK in 1981 at a ceremony held in London’s swanky Sloan Street.
“I’d been nominated without knowing anything about it,” he went on. “A Mrs Henderson of Ancroft, it turns out, had voted for me because she saw how I wrote things down on the back of my hand to remember them.
“I had no clue I was nominated until a friend opened a newspaper and showed me a picture of myself. Everybody said that I was going to London, but I thought I was working. Of course, the boss told me to get myself down there.
“I couldn’t believe it when I won, I was hoping just to come third or something. It was great, especially for a place like Berwick to get put on the map like that.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Last post for John after 38 years of delivering the mail
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Last post for John after 38 years of delivering the mail
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DirtyHarry
- Posts: 5051
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Re: Last post for John after 38 years of delivering the mail
What a blessing it must seem, never having to slave for this shitty firm ever again. I envy him, I really do.
-
R@YAL F@IL
- Posts: 448
- Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 19:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Last post for John after 38 years of delivering the mail
Good luck to him, in this present climate were R.M seem to target (sack) long serving full time employees I am happy another one has succeeded to escape

NO bags on shoulders please except for Moya who keeps her big fat wage packet in hers
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Last post for John after 38 years of delivering the mail
"John Law says he will be doing the traditional things in his retirement, like enjoying time with his wife, Myra"
well, he had to say that really didn't he.

-
silly suffolk
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 728
- Joined: 04 Mar 2011, 21:31
- Gender: Male
- Location: deepest suffolk
Re: Last post for John after 38 years of delivering the mail
there are some happy marriage's out there you pessimist.Lounge Lizard wrote:"John Law says he will be doing the traditional things in his retirement, like enjoying time with his wife, Myra"well, he had to say that really didn't he.
![]()
![]()
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Last post for John after 38 years of delivering the mail
Maybe, but you must have noticed how retired men look that much older than us working men - probably the constant have-you-done-this?, have-you-done-that?, how-many-pints-have-you-had?, how-many-times-have-I-told-you-blah-blah-blah? all day long.silly suffolk wrote:there are some happy marriage's out there you pessimist.Lounge Lizard wrote:"John Law says he will be doing the traditional things in his retirement, like enjoying time with his wife, Myra"well, he had to say that really didn't he.
![]()
![]()
Not that I'm complaining though. I'm often reminded how happilly married I am.