http://www.thisisdorset.co.uk/story-164 ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A FATHER and daughter team from Sixpenny Handley have given four decades of postal delivery services to their local villages.
Rob Jesse from Sixpenny Handley started his job as local postman 30 years ago. He's a familiar sight in his van, delivering parcels to Sixpenny Handley and post to Ashmore and Tollard Royal.
Sarah Jones followed in her father's footsteps, swapping her previous job in a hunt yard for a postal round 10 years ago. Relying on pedal power, Sarah can often been seen cycling around Sixpenny Handley where she delivers post. "The job came up and I knew that dad enjoyed it so I thought I'd go for it. I was only taken on for six months but I'm still here," Sarah said.
"Most of all, I enjoy meeting people. Keeping an eye on elderly residents and looking out for them is very important to me."
And Sarah thinks there could be a third generation postman in the making if 18-month son Arthur takes an interest in what is turning out to be the family trade.
Rob has lived in Sixpenny Handley all his life, "It has been a very enjoyable job. I never dread going to work - in fact, I look forward to it," he said.
"It's great having Sarah working here too."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Father and daughter clock up 40 years of postal service
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Father and daughter clock up 40 years of postal service
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Red Robbo
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 680
- Joined: 31 Jan 2012, 09:23
- Gender: Male
Re: Father and daughter clock up 40 years of postal service
With what's happening to the business clocking up 40 years between two members of staff is an achievement these days.

-
Talell
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 227
- Joined: 16 Aug 2010, 22:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Father and daughter clock up 40 years of postal service
a family at my work have about 100 years seniority, if they were added together...
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Father and daughter clock up 40 years of postal service
"And Sarah thinks there could be a third generation postman in the making if 18-month son Arthur takes an interest in what is turning out to be the family trade." - no incentive for young Arthur to work hard at school then
not that Handley SPDO will still be open by the time he reaches working age
.