http://www.rutherglenreformer.co.uk/rut ... -24868359/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A RUTHERGLEN postman made an extra-special delivery of his own last week.
Paul MacBeth (35), who works as a postman in Rutherglen, delivered his own baby son.
He flew into action when he received a phone call from girlfriend Michelle McDougall saying that she was in labour at their Fernhill home.
After receiving the phone call, the former Trinity High pupil raced to Michelle’s aid.
More used to delivering letters than babies, Paul phoned an ambulance and was given advice by operators, but his mobile phone kept cutting out. Despite obvious nerves and losing the link with the operator, Paul managed to deliver their baby son safely. Healthy baby Ashton was born in the couple’s bedroom, weighing a respectable 7lbs 1oz.
Mum and baby were taken to hospital and remained there overnight as a precaution. Both were allowed home the following day.
Michelle (30) had visited Glasgow’s Princess Royal maternity unit at around 4.30pm on Thursday after having contractions. She was discharged two hours later because she was dilated just 2cm. Michelle, who also has son Lee (10), decided to run herself a bath to soothe the pain, but when she got in, her contractions were just two minutes apart and she realised her baby was on its way.
Paul said: “I was in a bit of a panic, I was in the car at the time but I wasn’t far away so I ran into the house and ran upstairs.
“I don’t know if I was scared or not - I didn’t actually think that it was happening - but obviously it was.”
“I phoned an ambulance and the woman was trying to talk me through it.
“My phone kept cutting out and it was a bit of a nightmare, but the operator kept phoning back and was saying that the paramedics would be on their way.
“I just did what I had to do to the best of my ability.
“The woman was telling me over the phone to make sure that Michelle was comfortable and put pillows behind her - the operator was really good.
“It just happened so suddenly and I haven’t really had a chance to think about it.
“Now I am absolutely over-the-moon.”
Paul added: “I make deliveries in my day job, but I never expected to be delivering my son!”
Delighted mum, Michelle said: “I don’t think Paul expected to have to deliver the baby, but everything went brilliantly and the baby came out fine.
“The hospital sent me home at around 6pm as I was only 2cm dilated.”
She added: “By the time I got into the house, my waters had broken and the baby was not wanting to wait.
“I was in myself at first and had to start pushing in the bath, but I managed to get myself out of the bath and go and phone Paul. He did really well.
“Ashton has been brilliant, he is a really content baby and hardly cries.”
Paul’s sister, Julie McCartney (39), said:”I just can’t believe that he actually done it.
“My brother comes across as being so quiet and performing something like that is amazing.”
Julie added: “Ashton is a lovely wee thing - a smasher and I haven’t even heard him cry yet.”
A Royal Mail spokesperson said: "We are delighted to hear of Paul's special delivery and wish him, his partner and new addition to the family all the best."
A spokeswoman for NHS, said: “NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde would like to send its warmest wishes and congratulations to the mother and her new baby.”
She added: “Unfortunately, babies do not stick to a regular timetable and often arrive quicker than expected as happened in this instance.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Rutherglen postman delivers his own baby
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Rutherglen postman delivers his own baby
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
andy2007
- Posts: 3971
- Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: Earth
Re: Rutherglen postman delivers his own baby
Congratulations Paul MacBeth, and Michelle McDougall.
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
it's just another outlook on Reality!