ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Unite activists want scab managers out the union
-
topgeezer
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 28 Aug 2008, 12:21
- Gender: Male
Unite activists want scab managers out the union
http://www.socialistworker.co.uk/art.php?id=19203
Why are those Royal Mail managers who are busy helping the company break the postal workers’ strike allowed to be members of a TUC‑affiliated trade union?
That is the question that many members of the Unite union are asking after discovering that some members of the Communication Managers Association (CMA) are volunteering to cross picket lines and deliver mail.
The CMA is part of Unite.
A senior Unite rep told Socialist Worker that he was supporting a strongly worded motion that backs the postal workers’ strike and calls on his union’s national executive to expel CMA members who are scabbing.
The rep said, “There are some among our leadership who are burying their heads in the sand.
“They don’t want to believe that members of our union could be involved in bullying and strike breaking.
“But it is happening and I would urge every Unite member to find out for themselves.
“Unite members should take solidarity collections from their workplaces to postal workers’ picket lines.
“Once there they will soon hear scandalous stories about the way these managers are behaving.
“There can be no place for them in our union.”
Why are those Royal Mail managers who are busy helping the company break the postal workers’ strike allowed to be members of a TUC‑affiliated trade union?
That is the question that many members of the Unite union are asking after discovering that some members of the Communication Managers Association (CMA) are volunteering to cross picket lines and deliver mail.
The CMA is part of Unite.
A senior Unite rep told Socialist Worker that he was supporting a strongly worded motion that backs the postal workers’ strike and calls on his union’s national executive to expel CMA members who are scabbing.
The rep said, “There are some among our leadership who are burying their heads in the sand.
“They don’t want to believe that members of our union could be involved in bullying and strike breaking.
“But it is happening and I would urge every Unite member to find out for themselves.
“Unite members should take solidarity collections from their workplaces to postal workers’ picket lines.
“Once there they will soon hear scandalous stories about the way these managers are behaving.
“There can be no place for them in our union.”
-
mailsort6
- Posts: 356
- Joined: 11 Aug 2007, 13:22
Re: Unite activists want scab managers out the union
Overal Unite is a strong union, however, I cannot understand why the CMA members of Unite have no backbone. They tend to believe everything their seniors tell them. When these mail centres and delivery offices merge or close will some managers still have a job?
-
BELIAL
- Posts: 6758
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
- Gender: Female
- Location: Nowhere
Re: Unite activists want scab managers out the union
The answer is no . best scenario is 75% of management jobs axed. Team working cuts out most management duties. One full time postie prepping 6-8 walks and with the responsibility for ensuring that his 6-8 16hr contract delivery only PT's or PT casual mix complete daily. Every cloud 
Bye
-
Danelectro
- Posts: 1058
- Joined: 13 Apr 2008, 01:02
Re: Unite activists want scab managers out the union
Surely in the team leader scenario (which im sure would be the case if the union is swept aside) you mean more than 16 hrs for p/t delivery staff? ie 5 days at the 3.5 hours delivery span would be 17.5 hrs plus pouch off time etc.Sorry for splitting hairs but like to get my numbers and facts as accurate as possible when im having a ding dong with a manager or putting the case for strike action.Though come to think of it if they reduce the delivery spans and employed more people it gives them a bigger workforce who are all hungry for overtime and can cover sick absence more easily.
But aye managers are cutting their own throats, like a lot of people in royal mail they don't see much further than the next bonus and or pay cheque.
But aye managers are cutting their own throats, like a lot of people in royal mail they don't see much further than the next bonus and or pay cheque.
-
pinstripe
- Posts: 2474
- Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
- Gender: Male
- Location: 2 left turns from reality
Re: Unite activists want scab managers out the union
The 16 hour contract is a TNT idea and it just would not work in RM. For a start it would mean that p/t staff only working 4 days, and only doing deliveries. No waiting, no prepping, no bagging up, no redirections, no kill offs, nothing except walk into the office, pick up the ready prepared bags of mail and instant transportation to their start point. Royal Mail cannot even get the mail to the delivery offices at the same time, two days in a row. It would only take one very small break and the chain would collapse. Yes, they would have to pay overtime, but then the office budget would be out. There would be so many problems with this system I am surprised that RM don't do it already.Dunnzer wrote:Surely in the team leader scenario (which im sure would be the case if the union is swept aside) you mean more than 16 hrs for p/t delivery staff? ie 5 days at the 3.5 hours delivery span would be 17.5 hrs plus pouch off time etc.Sorry for splitting hairs but like to get my numbers and facts as accurate as possible when im having a ding dong with a manager or putting the case for strike action.Though come to think of it if they reduce the delivery spans and employed more people it gives them a bigger workforce who are all hungry for overtime and can cover sick absence more easily.
But aye managers are cutting their own throats, like a lot of people in royal mail they don't see much further than the next bonus and or pay cheque.
With regard to CMA/Unite members, they should not be allowed to call themselves Trade Union Members. I know that the CWU isn't perfect, far from it, but if they ever either told me or turned a blind eye to me crossing a picket line, then I would leave the union.
-
redman
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 12 Sep 2007, 15:35
Re: Unite activists want scab managers out the union
I don't really want to get in a debate about the strike, I don't agree with it but kicking us out of Unite is laughable. Unite don't even do anything for RM Managers and never have. We were sold down the river by the old CMA and prior to that we had more control and more say.
Managers are not (most) stupid and know our turn is not far away, indeed the admin side has been decimated with more cuts to come. The operational side will be next. As for crossing a picket line if its a choice between that and dismissal its no contest. Who would support a manager sacked UNITE - your having a laugh they are a waste of space. I was a CMA activist for a few years,we were quite strong, now we have no say and very little representation, when its our turn for more cuts we will have nobody in our corner.
I hope UNITE kick me out in fact I may just save myself the subs because it is shite union with shite leaders.
Managers are not (most) stupid and know our turn is not far away, indeed the admin side has been decimated with more cuts to come. The operational side will be next. As for crossing a picket line if its a choice between that and dismissal its no contest. Who would support a manager sacked UNITE - your having a laugh they are a waste of space. I was a CMA activist for a few years,we were quite strong, now we have no say and very little representation, when its our turn for more cuts we will have nobody in our corner.
I hope UNITE kick me out in fact I may just save myself the subs because it is shite union with shite leaders.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Unite activists want scab managers out the union
If you feel that strongly you could resign from the CMA and cancel your subs - just a suggestion.redman wrote:I hope UNITE kick me out in fact I may just save myself the subs because it is shite union with shite leaders.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
redman
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 12 Sep 2007, 15:35
Re: Unite activists want scab managers out the union
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:If you feel that strongly you could resign from the CMA and cancel your subs - just a suggestion.redman wrote:I hope UNITE kick me out in fact I may just save myself the subs because it is shite union with shite leaders.
I think thats what I was suggesting.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Unite activists want scab managers out the union
I don't blame the managers, they are between a rock and a hard place - I just wonder if the shoe was on the other foot how many CWU members would cross their picket line, in fact there are some members of the CWU crossing their own picket lines. If the TUC has the power to do anything, and I seriously doubt that they do, they aren't likely to alienate the powers that be.redman wrote:TrueBlueTerrier wrote:If you feel that strongly you could resign from the CMA and cancel your subs - just a suggestion.redman wrote:I hope UNITE kick me out in fact I may just save myself the subs because it is shite union with shite leaders.
I think thats what I was suggesting.
-
IWW Fellow Worker
- Posts: 3644
- Joined: 30 May 2007, 14:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Unite activists want scab managers out the union
I do. It's not just the fact that they're strike breakers, they're enthusiastic strike breakers. Only last week they were wandering around the office asking people to vote 'No'. It's got nothing to do with them how we vote. They're a mob of bullies who believe any crap Royal Mail tell them. They have no initiative, which is why they pass everything up to those above them. Certainly there used to be a few with integrity years ago when people were promoted on merit after a few years as PHG. You could respect people like that. These days they're a shower of gel haired half-wits who aren't really managers at all.dvbuk55 wrote:I don't blame the managers
The Industrial Workers of the World. The union whose members never scab!
"The working class and the employing class have nothing in common."
"The working class and the employing class have nothing in common."
-
westlondonpostie
- Posts: 559
- Joined: 15 Jun 2009, 19:19
- Gender: Male
- Location: Close to the edge
Re: Unite activists want scab managers out the union
f**k em, they made they're choice so when RM start slashing they're jobs who's gonna help them? not us!
-
redman
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 12 Sep 2007, 15:35
Re: Unite activists want scab managers out the union
IWW Fellow Worker wrote:These days they're a shower of gel haired half-wits who aren't really managers at all.dvbuk55 wrote:I don't blame the managers
I really don't give a toss about the rest of your post but that is below the belt.
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Unite activists want scab managers out the union
redman wrote:IWW Fellow Worker wrote:These days they're a shower of gel haired half-wits who aren't really managers at all.dvbuk55 wrote:I don't blame the managers
I really don't give a toss about the rest of your post but that is below the belt.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Unite activists want scab managers out the union
Well maybe - but you wouldn't notice it probably.disgruntledpostie1 wrote:redman wrote:IWW Fellow Worker wrote:These days they're a shower of gel haired half-wits who aren't really managers at all.dvbuk55 wrote:I don't blame the managers
I really don't give a toss about the rest of your post but that is below the belt.Do you not wear hair gel then?
![]()
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Unite activists want scab managers out the union
I just use Mr Sheendvbuk55 wrote:Well maybe - but you wouldn't notice it probably.disgruntledpostie1 wrote:redman wrote:IWW Fellow Worker wrote:These days they're a shower of gel haired half-wits who aren't really managers at all.dvbuk55 wrote:I don't blame the managers
I really don't give a toss about the rest of your post but that is below the belt.Do you not wear hair gel then?
![]()
Below the belt
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio