SOMEBODY ELSE FALLEN FOUL BECAUSE THE SENDER DID NOT USE Special Delivery™ Next Day http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump ... aId=400026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/news/ ... ticle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A POSTAL theft victim has been offered just six first class stamps to compensate for the loss of £41 of jewellery.
Andy Parr of Higher Polsham Road in Paignton fell foul of the theft after a Royal Mail van was stolen during its rounds in the town.
Police say the mail van was taken after it was left insecure, unattended and with the keys in the ignition.
The van was found abandoned but without the contents of packages which had been tampered with.
One of these packages was destined for Mr Parr and he says it contained £41 of jewellery he had ordered from an internet auction website.
He says the Royal Mail had tried to deliver the package but he was not at home to receive it.
They posted him a card saying it could be collected from their Paignton office.
The package was put back in the delivery van that was then stolen.
When Mr Parr attempted to collect his parcel he was told about the stolen van and Royal Mail had the envelope but not the contents.
Mr Parr put in a claim to the Royal Mail for the value of his missing goods but was shocked when he was offered just six first class stamps in compensation.
Bank manager Mr Parr said: "I have asked the Royal Mail to pay for the goods. But they said they couldn't because the package was sent recorded delivery and that doesn't include insurance.
"They said they could give me six first class stamps.
"I work in the customer service industry and this is poor customer service."
A spokesman for the Royal Mail said: "Unfortunately under the terms of standard postal services, including recorded delivery, Royal Mail does not pay compensation for items such as cash, jewellery and gift vouchers sent by this service.
"Such items of value should always be sent using the special delivery service.
"We apologise to the customer for any inconvenience caused."
But Mr Parr was annoyed with this response and maintains that Royal Mail should compensate him for his loss.
He said: "I don't see why I should be out of pocket.
"I handed the stamps back.
"This isn't about the money it is the principle."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Compensation 'insult' for stolen jewellery
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Compensation 'insult' for stolen jewellery
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Spedley
- Posts: 1209
- Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
- Location: Warwickshire
Re: Compensation 'insult' for stolen jewellery
I didn't know that. I did know that recorded delivery is only insured upto £34 but I had no idea that somethings were exempt from the insurance, It seems a little odd to me, does RM expect a lot of cash and jewllery to get stolen by postmen?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:A spokesman for the Royal Mail said: "Unfortunately under the terms of standard postal services, including recorded delivery, Royal Mail does not pay compensation for items such as cash, jewellery and gift vouchers sent by this service.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Compensation 'insult' for stolen jewellery
And of course the loss of £41 will have been a severe financial blow to "Bank Manager Mr Parr"
Can we have a whip round for him ?
Can we have a whip round for him ?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Compensation 'insult' for stolen jewellery
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/cont ... Id=3100011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;Spedley wrote:I didn't know that. I did know that recorded delivery is only insured upto £34 but I had no idea that somethings were exempt from the insurance, It seems a little odd to me, does RM expect a lot of cash and jewllery to get stolen by postmen?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:A spokesman for the Royal Mail said: "Unfortunately under the terms of standard postal services, including recorded delivery, Royal Mail does not pay compensation for items such as cash, jewellery and gift vouchers sent by this service.
Valuable mail
If you’re sending valuable items, we recommend you use one of our Special Delivery services. These receive special handling and are the only UK services we offer which provide compensation if you’re sending any of these items:
* Current British and foreign bank notes and coins
* Uncrossed postal orders
* Uncrossed cheques and dividend warrants payable to the bearer
* Any postage, revenue, National Insurance or savings stamps valid for use
* Credit notes, coupons, vouchers, gift tokens, tickets or anything that can be exchanged for money, goods or services
* Bearer securities, including share warrants, bonds or relative coupons and scrips or subscription certificates
* Jewellery, precious stones and metals
We can’t offer compensation for any of these items if you send them by First Class mail, Second Class mail, Recorded Signed For or in a Standard Parcel.
Recorded Signed For™
What happens if your mail gets lost?
If your mail gets lost, we’ll give you a minimum compensation of 12 First Class stamps. However, if there was something of value in your mail, we’ll refund you the market price, up to a maximum of £36. Please apply for this within 12 months.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
not me
- Posts: 2735
- Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
- Gender: Female
- Location: Uranus
Re: Compensation 'insult' for stolen jewellery
all they had to do was file a paypal dispute ofr an item not recieved
the sender would then file a claim with RM,if they used a service which doesnt cover them then.........
the sender would then file a claim with RM,if they used a service which doesnt cover them then.........
-
andy2007
- Posts: 3971
- Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: Earth
Re: Compensation 'insult' for stolen jewellery
No, it's just a case of "you get what you pay for". If you want proper protection for valuable items, you should pay the extra. It's the same with most things in life.Spedley wrote:I didn't know that. I did know that recorded delivery is only insured upto £34 but I had no idea that somethings were exempt from the insurance, It seems a little odd to me, does RM expect a lot of cash and jewllery to get stolen by postmen?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:A spokesman for the Royal Mail said: "Unfortunately under the terms of standard postal services, including recorded delivery, Royal Mail does not pay compensation for items such as cash, jewellery and gift vouchers sent by this service.
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
it's just another outlook on Reality!