ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Call for speed limiters on cars

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Call for speed limiters on cars

Post by DGP1 »

http://uk.reuters.com/article/domesticN ... 30?sp=true

Call for speed limiters on cars
Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:24pm GMT

By Tim Castle

LONDON (Reuters) - Cars should be fitted with devices to regulate their speed to cut fatal accidents by a quarter, a government advisory body said on Tuesday.

The Commission for Integrated Transport and the Motorists' Forum said the voluntary use of so-called intelligent speed adaption would cut 40,000 road deaths over a 60-year period.

The proposed system would automatically slow the engine and apply the brakes to keep a car within local speed limits, although the driver would be able to override the limiter.

It said the limiters would also reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 6 percent on roads where cars go at speeds of up to 70 miles per hour.

The commission called on the Department of Transport to start building a database of road speed limit maps which would be needed to operate the system.

It said was not recommending mandatory limiters which allowed no override, although it estimated these would have the greatest effect by reducing fatal accidents by 44 percent.

A Leeds University study for the commission calculated the potential reduction in accidents by analysing the results of a government-funded study in which 79 drivers used cars fitted with a speed limiter for their everyday motoring.

The Motorists' Forum, which is part of the commission and represents car users' views, said it backed the study.

"The UK has an enviable record on road safety but we still kill nearly 3,000 people on our roads each year," said the forum's chairman, Trevor Chinn.

But motoring pressure group Safe Speed said limiters could make driving more dangerous by taking responsibility away from drivers.

Safe Speed spokeswoman Claire Armstrong said truck drivers in speed-limited lorries go into "zombie mode."

"They stick foot on floor because they know the equipment will not go any faster," she told BBC radio. "They stop paying attention to the road. That makes it highly dangerous."

The Department of Transport said it had no plans to enforce the use of speed limiters but said they could help road safety for drivers who wished to adopt them.

"We will work with vehicle manufacturers, local authorities, insurance companies and others to consider what steps should be taken to support the future availability of the technology," said a department spokeswoman.



What do you think are the chances of RM putting these limiters to all their vehicles :hmmmm
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Big Daz
Posts: 5668
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 20:27
Gender: Male

Re: Call for speed limiters on cars

Post by Big Daz »

Id say it will happen just a matter of when and not if.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Call for speed limiters on cars

Post by NWpostie »

It will make no difference except it will make it more dangerous on the motorway, as you get get out of trouble if needed, speed is not the killer, its careless driving, speed is only a factor in 17% of accidents. a lot of it is low speed rear shunts, pulling out of junctions, driving in narrow roads with cars on either side and kids running out from between them, not looking where you are going, being "blind" to motorcyclists, I could go on most of these usually occurs at lower speeds.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
LDV 350
Posts: 124
Joined: 04 Oct 2007, 18:47
Location: hiding behind my couch

Re: Call for speed limiters on cars

Post by LDV 350 »

Royal Mail will never fit them to the vans as they are scared they will have to add hours back into the office, as the darling blue eyed drivers that fly round will go at the same speed as us mere mortals
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: Call for speed limiters on cars

Post by BELIAL »

Shouldn't give it too much thought, there is a distinct possibility that there won't be that many cars on the roads in 18 months time :shhhhh
Bye
smokerjim
Posts: 1921
Joined: 13 Jun 2007, 22:27
Gender: Male
Location: In a corner, thinking "I've picked a bad week to give up smoking..."

Re: Call for speed limiters on cars

Post by smokerjim »

Wise words I remember from my driving instructor ( an ex-Met police traffic division pursuit driver ) include "You should always speed out of trouble, never speed into it." and "Speed is not dangerous, inappropiate speed is dangerous." Ask any serving copper now & I doubt you will find any disagreements.
I don't suppose your mouth bleeds every 28 days, does it?

Mail delivery; those that can, do, those that can't, MANAGE!
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Call for speed limiters on cars

Post by Stormproof »

I drove a van with a speed limiter the other week, was on the M/way on the way to the delivery, got up to 60 and it kicked in, scared the cr@p out of me as I thought I was going to break down in the middle of the motorway :shock: , if I needed to speed up to get out of a situation I could'nt, my foot was literally on the floor. Maybe they are ok for 30/40 mph zones but not for dual carriageways/motorways.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Call for speed limiters on cars

Post by DGP1 »

k66yla wrote:I drove a van with a speed limiter the other week, was on the M/way on the way to the delivery, got up to 60 and it kicked in, scared the cr@p out of me as I thought I was going to break down in the middle of the motorway :shock: , if I needed to speed up to get out of a situation I could'nt, my foot was literally on the floor. Maybe they are ok for 30/40 mph zones but not for dual carriageways/motorways.
The limiters are set to 70 on the vans :Very Happy you're a naughty little girl :no no keep that up and you'll get spanked :nervous :oops:
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Call for speed limiters on cars

Post by Stormproof »

disgruntledpostie1 wrote:
k66yla wrote:I drove a van with a speed limiter the other week, was on the M/way on the way to the delivery, got up to 60 and it kicked in, scared the cr@p out of me as I thought I was going to break down in the middle of the motorway :shock: , if I needed to speed up to get out of a situation I could'nt, my foot was literally on the floor. Maybe they are ok for 30/40 mph zones but not for dual carriageways/motorways.
The limiters are set to 70 on the vans :Very Happy you're a naughty little girl :no no keep that up and you'll get spanked :nervous :oops:
Could've swore I was only doing 60, honest guv :angel :whistle
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum