ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal Mail must team up with NHS and pharmacies, CWU says

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Royal Mail must team up with NHS and pharmacies, CWU says

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article ... s-cwu-says

ROYAL Mail must look at embedding itself into the NHS and pharmacies as part of plans to water down its legal obligation to deliver letters six days a week, the Communication Workers Union (CWU) said yesterday.

Deputy general secretary Martin Walsh laid out its strategy for the changes to the firm’s universal service obligation (USO) in a motion backed by delegates at the union’s annual conference.

He said the firm’s “optimised delivery model” — which would see the end of second-class deliveries on Saturday and slow so-called DSA deliveries — will soon be trialled across the four nations of the UK.

Mr Walsh said Royal Mail has also warned that the Parcelforce section of the business is “doomed” unless it takes the fight to Amazon by introducing later shifts to process online orders, of which 80 per cent are made between 6pm and 10pm.

“We know that is not a popular period for our members to work,” said Mr Walsh.

“We’ve got to have that discussion with our members around innovative duty structures which move the future of work.”

Along with better conditions for new entrants, he said: “Those decent jobs must be looking at how to support communities, work with metropolitan mayors, deliver for pharmacies and help the NHS going forward — all of these things will be in that project.”

He added that the union must also consider reducing Royal Mail’s 93.5 per cent target for first-class next-day deliveries to the European average of around 85 per cent.

Mr Walsh said the target — currently at 82 per cent — hasn’t been met for years, but affects worker start times.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
Now retired

ted_e_bear

Re: Royal Mail must team up with NHS and pharmacies, CWU says

Post by ted_e_bear »

"Deputy general secretary Martin Walsh laid out its strategy for the changes to the firm’s universal service obligation (USO) in a motion backed by delegates at the union’s annual conference.

He said the firm’s “optimised delivery model” — which would see the end of second-class deliveries on Saturday and slow so-called DSA deliveries — will soon be trialled across the four nations of the UK.
"

Is this for real, trialling that latest bollocks idea ?
Barnacle

Post by Barnacle »

ted_e_bear wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 10:25
"Deputy general secretary Martin Walsh laid out its strategy for the changes to the firm’s universal service obligation (USO) in a motion backed by delegates at the union’s annual conference.

"

There seems to be literally no one at the top who can see stupid a mile off.
’You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.’
77SAMPOST77
PARCELFORCE

Post by 77SAMPOST77 »

Martin Walsh is talking nonsense as usual ,

Re Parcelforce most of its parcels are Business to Business Parcels , most of these shut at 5pm so how does working late shifts until 8pm work there .

Also we are not competing with Amazon they deliver there own Parcels and are not delivering for any other companies as far as I am aware .

Royal Mail/Parcelforce should have its own high quality Business model with achievable workloads for its staff , Modern vehicles and fully uniformed employed staff (no owner drivers at all) we should aim to be the best not the cheapest .
kazardaimenu

Post by kazardaimenu »

The pharmacy prescription delivery people go and pick up their deliveries from the pharmacy. Would we have to do this or would they be happy to have them picked up by collections drivers and delivered next day?
BenacreNick

Post by BenacreNick »

What if there is no answer at the door when trying to deliver prescriptions for customers ?

I think that this area should be left well alone for customers to pick up their prescriptions from the pharmacy for themselves.

I have a pharmacy on one of my loops, what's the point of me trying to deliver something that the customer could get themselves at their convenience by walking 100-200 yards. And at the same time the customer somehow pays for the service.

It doesn't make any sense to me. :cuppa
Barnacle

Post by Barnacle »

BenacreNick wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 16:38
What if there is no answer at the door when trying to deliver prescriptions for customers ?

I think that this area should be left well alone for customers to pick up their prescriptions from the pharmacy for themselves.

I have a pharmacy on one of my loops, what's the point of me trying to deliver something that the customer could get themselves at their convenience by walking 100-200 yards. And at the same time the customer somehow pays for the service.

We already offer a prescription delivery service. I delivered a RM promo leaflet about just a month ago. There are repeat prescription patients who are at home and can’t be going out because they aren’t well enough, so it is a very useful service for them.
’You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.’
postslippete

Post by postslippete »

He added that the union must also consider reducing Royal Mail’s 93.5 per cent target for first-class next-day deliveries to the European average of around 85 per cent.

Mr Walsh said the target — currently at 82 per cent — hasn’t been met for years, but affects worker start times.

Dave Ward has spoken many times about improving the quality of service. How is actually reducing the 1st class targets for next day deliveries improving the quality of service?

The main reason why we haven't reached the quality of service targets is because the duties aren't being covered mail wise which saves the company money. What is the point in starting and finishing later due to the reduction of flights if we aren't going to be delivering these 1st class letters or have to meet these targets anyway?
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

Barnacle wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 17:05
BenacreNick wrote:

We already offer a prescription delivery service. I delivered a RM promo leaflet about just a month ago. There are repeat prescription patients who are at home and can’t be going out because they aren’t well enough, so it is a very useful service for them.
It does make you wonder about our union if they don't realise that we already offer such a service? I can't see this would save the USO or many jobs as the service offered by the pharmacists in my town seems fairly limited.
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

ted_e_bear wrote:

"

Is that what Delivery 2.0 is all about, sooner or later those DO's chosen are going to trial the new approach?
ted_e_bear

Post by ted_e_bear »

TopperGas wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 22:16
ted_e_bear wrote:

"

Is that what Delivery 2.0 is all about, sooner or later those DO's chosen are going to trial the new approach?
No I don't think so, I thought delivery 2.0 was that s**t idea where there's a continuous fitting and you get allocated your section on a daily basis (what could possibly go wrong) this reads as though they're going to trial stopping delivering mail except 1st class on Saturdays.
enskied

Post by enskied »

TopperGas wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 22:14
Barnacle wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 17:05
BenacreNick wrote:

It does make you wonder about our union if they don't realise that we already offer such a service? I can't see this would save the USO or many jobs as the service offered by the pharmacists in my town seems fairly limited.
We could offer a service to council and housing associations , reporting who needs to clean up the dog muck , sort their garden out, who's gutters are blocked and leaking (always right over the letterbox) issue parking tickets. It's endless with possibilities.
Mr Rush

Post by Mr Rush »

enskied wrote:
30 Apr 2024, 18:11
We could offer a service to council and housing associations , reporting who needs to clean up the dog muck , sort their garden out, who's gutters are blocked and leaking (always right over the letterbox) issue parking tickets. It's endless with possibilities.
And then once our little Gestapo notepad is filled up we eventually deliver a Tracked or two? :wink:
Any Questions?
Yeah, how do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?
postslippete

Post by postslippete »

enskied wrote:
30 Apr 2024, 18:11

I was thinking that we really need to be delivering the morning papers and the milk in the afternoons as well. However, we would still need to put a Tracked barcode on them and scan on the doorstep. Any milk that is leaking would obviously need to go in a damage bag first.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

ted_e_bear wrote:
30 Apr 2024, 07:22
TopperGas wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 22:16
ted_e_bear wrote:

"

No I don't think so, I thought delivery 2.0 was that s**t idea where there's a continuous fitting and you get allocated your section on a daily basis (what could possibly go wrong) this reads as though they're going to trial stopping delivering mail except 1st class on Saturdays.
The trial seems to be based on the recent RM USO proposals not just delivering 1c mail on Saturday's? It's been rumoured Delivery 2.0 will be rolled out Nationwide so I'd have thought it made sense to trial any other changes at the offices already trailing D 2.0