ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal Mail workers have endured 'roller coaster' few years, says union

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Royal Mail workers have endured 'roller coaster' few years, says union

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/bus ... 53577.html

The postal group needs a ‘change of direction’, said Communication Workers Union leader Dave Ward.

Royal Mail workers have endured a “roller coaster” few years as a bitter dispute over pay and conditions has been followed by speculation over the postal group’s future, a union leader has said.

Dave Ward, general secretary of the Communication Workers Union (CWU) said the Royal Mail needed a “change of direction” as he criticised the company’s current model.

It comes as Royal Mail’s owner, International Distributions Services, rejected a £3.1 billion takeover approach from Czech billionaire Daniel Kretinsky, who is already the largest shareholder.

The Royal Mail needs a new ownership and governance model that builds a postal service for the workers and customers

DAVE WARD, CWU

Analysts expect another bid to be made.

Mr Ward, speaking at the union’s annual conference in Bournemouth, said: “It has been a roller coaster for employees in the past few years, going from being key workers during the pandemic, then involved in the most brutal industrial dispute I have ever seen, a debate about the quality of service and now a takeover bid.”

Mr Ward said handing over the ownership of one of the UK’s most prestigious organisations to a foreign investor “cannot be right”, but he added: “Neither is the current model or direction of the company.

“The Royal Mail needs a new ownership and governance model that builds a postal service for the workers and customers and not one built solely focused on shareholder payouts and driving down the service and the terms and conditions of workers.”

The CWU is also campaigning against any attempt to reduce the frequency of mail deliveries.

Royal Mail has proposed cutting second-class letter deliveries to every other weekday after regulator Ofcom suggested the company could reduce the number of delivery days.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
Now retired

Barnacle

Re: Royal Mail workers have endured 'roller coaster' few years, says union

Post by Barnacle »

And it continues. Just by glibly announcing the idea of alternate 2c deliveries is unnerving. There is zero trust in the owners of the company - no one believes they have a Scooby.
’You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.’
George50

Post by George50 »

The old guard has had it so much easier than everyone else.but no more Mr nice guy no more Mr hehehehhehehe
Philbag70

Post by Philbag70 »

The roller coaster hasn't stopped yet. The deceitful, dishonest, bullies that run the company won't stop until they've got a company full of teenage robots, who don't think for themselves, don't have a personal life and run themselves into the ground for minimum wage
Barnacle

Post by Barnacle »

Philbag70 wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 12:42
The roller coaster hasn't stopped yet. The deceitful, dishonest, bullies that run the company won't stop until they've got a company full of teenage robots, who don't think for themselves, don't have a personal life and run themselves into the ground for minimum wage
That’s what it seems like to me. From the start it has seemed as if their main aim has been to break any notion of seniority or staying on a pick etc.
’You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.’
worktotime

Post by worktotime »

Ward and co just need to get in with the company and sort a decent redundancy package out and give them that want to go a chance to get out . the jobs f****d and will only get worse .
DiamondSmiles

Post by DiamondSmiles »

George50 wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 11:33
The old guard has had it so much easier than everyone else.but no more Mr nice guy no more Mr hehehehhehehe
Another brilliant post, who is Mr hehehehehehe?
Sean06

Post by Sean06 »

worktotime wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 13:47
Ward and co just need to get in with the company and sort a decent redundancy package out and give them that want to go a chance to get out . the jobs f****d and will only get worse .
That ship has long sailed.
Linden14

Post by Linden14 »

worktotime wrote:
Linden14

Post by Linden14 »

That's what we're hoping for bit I think there's that many that want out it's hard,royal mail know most of their staff want out
Mr Rush

Post by Mr Rush »

To correct the rollercoaster metaphor, the last two years we've only been ratcheting up the incline and plenty of colleagues have already stepped off. The wild ride hasn't started yet.
Any Questions?
Yeah, how do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?
pieoftheday

Post by pieoftheday »

Philbag70 wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 12:42
Not sure I agree, the young'uns that come through our DO will not be walked over and many wont work a minute past their 25hr contract, they have lives to live
pieoftheday

Post by pieoftheday »

George50 wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 11:33
Eh?
Dorset Plodder

Post by Dorset Plodder »

worktotime wrote:
Why would the Company give us a "Decent" Redundancy package when the Businesss is losing Experienced Staff at an incredible rate?

You only offer Attractive Redundancy Packages when you've got to shed staff who don't want to leave a decent job, and you need to get rid of them. We're already doing that for them, many without any kind of Redundancy Package, because we're sick of the way the company's been run into the ground and staff are treated.

If you want to go now's the time. I wouldn't hang around on the chance that RM's going to beg you to leave, and offer you a Golden Handsake! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
worktotime

Post by worktotime »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 21:42
worktotime wrote:
Why would the Company give us a "Decent" Redundancy package when the Businesss is losing Experienced Staff at an incredible rate?

You only offer Attractive Redundancy Packages when you've got to shed staff who don't want to leave a decent job, and you need to get rid of them. We're already doing that for them, many without any kind of Redundancy Package, because we're sick of the way the company's been run into the ground and staff are treated.

If you want to go now's the time. I wouldn't hang around on the chance that RM's going to beg you to leave, and offer you a Golden Handsake! :cuppa
thanks for your offer but i think i will stay until the company is sold off then i will walk away with summat in your pocket :thumbup