ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal Mail suspend Invergowrie community leader alleged to have used racial slurs online

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Royal Mail suspend Invergowrie community leader alleged to have used racial slurs online

Post by POSTMAN »

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/pe ... ial-slurs/

Jamie Brown is alleged to have used racial slurs in online forums

Jamie Brown, chairman of Invergowrie and Kingoodie Community Council, works for the postal service locally.

The Royal Mail confirmed it has launched a probe following reports Mr Brown is a supporter of far-right groups and had used racist language in online chats.

A spokesman said: “We have been made aware of the reporting and are currently carrying out our own investigation.

“It would not be appropriate to comment on the details of any individual case, however we do suspend employees when serious allegations are made in order to protect colleagues and customers.”

Mr Brown has been approached for comment.

Anti-racism charity Hope Not Hate this week revealed his links to the white-nationalist group Patriotic Alternative.

In January 2022, during an online podcast speaking under the pseudonym “Mean Peem”, Mr Brown detailed his support for the group and his experience growing up in Dundee.

In a statement to The Courier, the community council leader said he had since moved on from Patriotic Alternative, saying the group were not interested in “serious politics”.

He is now a member of the Homeland Party, a group founded by former British National Party activist Kenny Smith.

Screenshots from different platforms show a user positing under Mr Brown’s name using racial slurs.

In one post in December 2020, Hope Not Hate say Mr Brown branded Russian author Ayn Rand “k*ke scum”.

Responding to the claims made against him, Mr Brown denied using the language and attacked Hope Not Hate’s motives.
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.

hans solo

Re: Royal Mail suspend Invergowrie community leader alleged to have used racial slurs online

Post by hans solo »

He should just say he apologised
Good enough for toriy donors should be for everybody
Barnacle

Re: Royal Mail suspend Invergowrie community leader alleged to have used racial slurs online

Post by Barnacle »

I’m amazed they suspended him because whenever I have reported racism or racist language, literally NOTHING happens.
’You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.’
rubberbond

Post by rubberbond »

Barnacle wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 16:55
I’m amazed they suspended him because whenever I have reported racism or racist language, literally NOTHING happens.
I don’t know why he was suspended, was he using these alleged slurs as a representative of Royal Mail, if not what the hell has it got to do with them. I don’t agree with the use of racial slurs but he has the right to free speech, whether you agree with it or not. I believe Voltaire sort of said , I may disagree with your view , but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
Barnacle

Post by Barnacle »

rubberbond wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 19:59
Barnacle wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 16:55
I don’t know why he was suspended, was he using these alleged slurs as a representative of Royal Mail, if not what the hell has it got to do with them. I don’t agree with the use of racial slurs but he has the right to free speech, whether you agree with it or not. I believe Voltaire sort of said , I may disagree with your view , but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
Doesn’t say in what capacity he worked at RM. Everyone has a right to free speech but racist language is racist and using it on a public platform where your identity and occupation is known, is bound to have repercussions.
’You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.’
Mr Rush

Post by Mr Rush »

POSTMAN wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 09:55
In one post in December 2020, Hope Not Hate say Mr Brown branded Russian author Ayn Rand “k*ke scum”.
Of all the things you could say about noted loon Ayn Rand, why would you go with that? :d'oh!
Any Questions?
Yeah, how do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?
sweepster70

Post by sweepster70 »

My Wife told me about two people, both foreign. One was Romanian and the other was African. They were good friends at work.
One day the Romanian girl said to the African that he looked like a monkey. The African was black and mulled over what she said for a week, then reported her, and eventually she was sacked for a racist comment.
I believe she said it, not as a racist comment, but as a friendly comment and any racial slur was far from what she meant. Because of that alone, she shouldn't have been sacked but told what she said could be perceived by some as a racist comment.
I believe the racist thinking came from the African and the manager who sacked her.
Barnacle

Post by Barnacle »

sweepster70 wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 19:31
My Wife told me about two people, both foreign. One was Romanian and the other was African. They were good friends at work.
One day the Romanian girl said to the African that he looked like a monkey. The African was black and mulled over what she said for a week, then reported her, and eventually she was sacked for a racist comment.
I believe she said it, not as a racist comment, but as a friendly comment and any racial slur was far from what she meant. Because of that alone, she shouldn't have been sacked but told what she said could be perceived by some as a racist comment.
I believe the racist thinking came from the African and the manager who sacked her.
I personally think that sacking was the correct decision because you would have to have been born on the Moon to not know that that comment was racist. When spoken to about it she must have said things which made it clear that this was her belief.

Having said that, I do think there ought to be staff awareness sessions to make some of those who are stuck in a timewarp aware of their racist and sexist language.
sweepster70

Post by sweepster70 »

I disagree. They were friends so what she said was not racist to her.
What you said in your second paragraph shows there is only one way of thinking from you, and that is always dangerous.
This was a young girl that wasn't even born in that era.
Barnacle

Post by Barnacle »

sweepster70 wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 20:10
What you said in your second paragraph shows there is only one way of thinking from you, and that is always dangerous.
The person it was said to, felt it was racist, and they were work friends so possibly other comments had been made. We don’t know that. But it is dodgy ground to tell someone who has reported racism that they were wrong and what they thought was racist language was just friendly banter.
sweepster70

Post by sweepster70 »

Barnacle wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 20:27
sweepster70 wrote:
The person it was said to, felt it was racist, and they were work friends so possibly other comments had been made. We don’t know that. But it is dodgy ground to tell someone who has reported racism that they were wrong and what they thought was racist language was just friendly banter.
I wasn't talking about your experience, so it's not dodgy ground. Why is your way of thinking right and mine wrong?
Barnacle

Post by Barnacle »

sweepster70 wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 20:38
Barnacle wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 20:27
sweepster70 wrote:
I wasn't talking about your experience, so it's not dodgy ground. Why is your way of thinking right and mine wrong?
I wasn’t talking about my experience? Don’t know what you mean? I was just referring to your example.

You can think whichever way you want. I was just saying that if someone tells you that a comment made to them was racist, you can’t dismiss that racist comment as ‘friendly banter’.

I know you disagree.
sweepster70

Post by sweepster70 »

We would never say that, but someone who doesn't know might?
Tman

Post by Tman »

Eastern Europeans have a very different attitude when talking to /about other races, particularly those who identify as Black. Eastern European football matches where incidents of monkey noises and banana throwing are commonplace prove that.
sweepster70

Post by sweepster70 »

Tman wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 22:01
Eastern Europeans have a very different attitude when talking to /about other races, particularly those who identify as Black. Eastern European football matches where incidents of monkey noises and banana throwing are commonplace prove that.
Your comments are racist, you are a racist.