ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal Mail to introduce new stamp rules within weeks - and people are fuming

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Royal Mail to introduce new stamp rules within weeks - and people are fuming

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/real-life/r ... p-32264981

In April, Royal Mail is making changes to his stamps policy that will make it more expensive to send post. Here's everything you need to know about the new rules

Royal Mail has announced a hike in stamp prices from April 2024.

While First Class stamps will go up by 10p to £1.35, Second Class stamps will also increase by 10p to 85p. Royal Mail says the new prices are still below the European average of £1. 66 for First Class and £1.26 for Second Class.

What's more, the average adult spends less than £7 a year on stamps. And people now receive an average of just two letters per week, reports Birmingham Live.

Nick Landon, chief commercial officer at Royal Mail, said: "We always consider price changes very carefully, but we face a situation where letter volumes have reduced dramatically over recent years while costs have increased.

"It is no longer sustainable to maintain a network built for 20 billion letters when we are now only delivering seven billion. As a result of letter volume decline, our posties now have to walk more than three times as far to deliver the same number of letters as before, increasing the delivery costs per letter."

The cost of stamps is set to get more expensive – in a matter of weeks (Image: Bloomberg via Getty Images)

Despite Royal Mail saying the price hikes are a necessary measure, people aren't happy that it will cost them more to send post.

Financial journalist Paul Lewis said: "A month to buy 1st and 2nd class stamps at current price before they rise to £1.35 to possibly not get there the next day and 85p to definitely not get there the next day. In ten years £2billion paid to shareholders and £27m to two bosses. Something wrong."

Another said: "Struggling Royal Mail puts first-class stamp up to £1.35. Paying £2billion to shareholders and £27m to two bosses has got to be funded somehow... By us mugs."

And a third added: "Royal Mail increasing Stamps prices again – First class by 10p to £1.35 and 2nd class by 10p from 75p to 85p! The fourth hike in 2 years from a 3rd class service!!!"
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

qwerty2

Re: Royal Mail to introduce new stamp rules within weeks - and people are fuming

Post by qwerty2 »

It is no longer sustainable to maintain a network built for 20 billion letters when we are now only delivering seven billion
JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!!!!! how many times are they going to say this :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
wally7

Re: Royal Mail to introduce new stamp rules within weeks - and people are fuming

Post by wally7 »

My question is if year's ago we could deliver 20 billion letters why the hell can't deliver 7 billion on time now?
ted_e_bear

Post by ted_e_bear »

I might be mistaken here but didn't the network that could accommodate 20 billion letters consist of quite a few more mail centres, plus there's fewer letter sorting machines within the remaining ones and on top of that there used to be a s**t load more staff, not to mention more delivery offices

So really unless I am mistaken it's not actually the same network after all.
Barnacle

Post by Barnacle »

I love the way they make 7 billion letters sound like nothing.
’You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.’
Mr Rush

Post by Mr Rush »

ted_e_bear wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 18:20
plus there's fewer letter sorting machines within the remaining ones and on top of that there used to be a s**t load more staff
With an army of staff it all got sorted by hand faster than by machine and we hit the streets for 7AM. Machines are not more efficient, just a lot cheaper in the long run.
Any Questions?
Yeah, how do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?
Dorset Plodder

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I love the way he says, "Our Posties now have to walk more than three times as far to deliver the same ammount of letters as before, INCREASING THE DELIVERY COSTS PER LETTER" :d'oh!

Lets stress the delivery costs never mind about the knackered posties, who are covering anything up to 50 miles a week, week after week! :thumbdown

And we used to have a bike to cover that distance! I've never walked as much in my life, it's a good job the Medical Profession are always telling us Walking is the best form of excercise....... Us Posties must all be Super Fit by now! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)