ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The great Christmas post fiasco: Royal Mail is setting aside festive cards and even cancer scans to prioritise lucrative parcels it can cash in on

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

The great Christmas post fiasco: Royal Mail is setting aside festive cards and even cancer scans to prioritise lucrative parcels it can cash in on

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... scans.html

Depot managers accused of telling staff to focus on shifting 'premium products'

Christmas cards and cancer scans are piling up in sorting offices as postal workers are told to prioritise money-spinning parcels.

Depot managers are accused of telling staff to focus on shifting 'premium products' such as Amazon deliveries 'at the expense of letters', despite it being a breach of the Royal Mail's legal duties, a Mail investigation uncovered.

Posties say it means parcels containing trivial items such as buckets and vapes are being delivered more quickly than hospital appointments and cancer screening results.

Tens of millions of Christmas cards are due to be sent this month, but insiders warned they will be 'sacrificed in favour of parcels' and sit undelivered in sorting offices.

'Come January, people will be getting Christmas cards,' a postman based in the North of England said. 'They'll have been sitting in the [sorting] frames going nowhere.'

Tens of millions of Christmas cards are due to be sent this month, but insiders warned they will be 'sacrificed in favour of parcels' and sit undelivered in sorting offices. Pictured: File photo

Last night charities and MPs hit out at the 'immoral' prioritisation of parcels.

Royal Mail bosses have long denied that the company – which was last year forced to pay £26 million in compensation to customers who experienced poor service – put lucrative parcels before letters, and the regulator Ofcom found no evidence of it being a formal policy during a review last month.

But the Mail has spoken to staff at depots across the country. They said managers routinely told them to 'ignore' letters in favour of parcels.

All spoke on the condition of anonymity out of fear for their jobs.

The price of a second-class letter starts at 75p and £1.25 for first-class. But the Royal Mail can charge businesses between £2.99 and £10.99 for a parcel, depending on weight and size.

One postman in the South of England said an elderly woman recently asked him where her post was because she was expecting cancer scan results. After waiting for nine days, she had to collect it herself from the local depot.

'If you're waiting for anything important, you're not going to get it, but I can deliver parcels,' the postman said. 'It was a metal bucket this morning to a house next door... because that's tracked, it's more important than [someone] waiting for cancer screening documents.'

A postie in South Yorkshire said the service was at 'rock bottom'. An elderly man she serves waited for an NHS referral for six months but missed the appointment because it didn't arrive on time.

A colleague based in rural North Wales said it was 'carnage' in her sorting office.

'A person on one delivery got their cancer appointment letter a few days after the appointment and now has to wait until January for another one. It's awful,' she said.

An ex-postman, who recently left the Royal Mail after more than 30 years, said: 'Parcels are being prioritised over letters, it's that simple. On a daily basis, we were told to leave letters and take parcels.

'As much as Royal Mail say they don't [prioritise parcels], they do.'

One postman said: 'If we don't deliver your parcel and you're a firm, you can say okay, I'm going to use a competitor. There are no competitors for delivering letters. It's a captive market, so it doesn't matter how late your letter is.'

Under the Universal Service Obligation, Royal Mail is legally required to deliver letters to every address in the UK, six days a week, and parcels five days a week. But postal workers say the company hasn't been undertaking the obligation for months, with one saying there is 'a constant backlog of letters'.

Delivery workers said they got complaints from residents waiting for other important documents such as divorce papers, mortgage paperwork and bank cards.

Dennis Reed, from the charity Silver Voices, said he regularly received complaints from elderly people about the Royal Mail's 'erratic' service, which was 'breaking down'.

'The experience is terrible, it's not a service we should expect for the cost of a postage stamp. It's a very poor service these days,' he said.

'It's immoral and it's been going on for longer than just recently. It's been obvious that you can get a daily parcel service from the Royal Mail, but not letters.'

Tory MP Siobhan Baillie, whose Stroud constituents regularly fail to receive mail on time, said: 'Some stories of missed appointments are really upsetting, deeply frustrating and are countrywide.

'Local posties are still well loved but there is not a lot of faith that things will improve, despite several promises.'

A spokesman for Ofcom, which issued the Royal Mail a record fine of £5.6 million last month for failing to meet delivery targets, said: 'We will continue to closely monitor Royal Mail's performance, including following up on our concern about the oversight of local delivery offices.

'Should Royal Mail's poor performance continue, we will consider taking further enforcement action.'

The Royal Mail said: 'We do not operate a policy of prioritising parcels.

'At particularly busy times, like this festive period, we will need to prioritise the health and safety of our employees.

'Parcels are large, take up space and restrict movement. For this reason, especially in small delivery offices, it may be necessary to clear parcels first for the safety of our colleagues and keep all mail, including letters, moving efficiently.'
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
Now retired

scoobydo79

Re: The great Christmas post fiasco: Royal Mail is setting aside festive cards and even cancer scans to prioritise lucrative parcels it can cash in on

Post by scoobydo79 »

The Union should be all over this. Good for some mileage I would think👍
Clappedoutpostie

Re: The great Christmas post fiasco: Royal Mail is setting aside festive cards and even cancer scans to prioritise lucrative parcels it can cash in on

Post by Clappedoutpostie »

I don’t see the point of this article as it’s hardly an exclusive, the whole country already knows this but nobody wants to do anything about it.
Surfpostie

Post by Surfpostie »

I’m waiting for a RM spokesman,to blame it on the strikes!!! That’s the normal answer to any negative media.
qwerty2

Post by qwerty2 »

Surfpostie wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 12:51
I’m waiting for a RM spokesman,to blame it on the strikes!!! That’s the normal answer to any negative media.
They already have - a few weeks ago
qwerty2

Post by qwerty2 »

scoobydo79 wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 12:25
Dave, Andy and Chris have been hiding under the duvet for months :angel
Grinder64

Post by Grinder64 »

qwerty2 wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 13:02
Surfpostie wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 12:51
They already have - a few weeks ago
Is it snowing anywhere yet? I bet the directors are praying for a bad weather event to blame it on that... :left: :left:
It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. Virgil
SMS1969

Post by SMS1969 »

Today I heard our manager say that on certain routes letters will have to be stood down. Then, when we were on sorting, all of a sudden letters were stopped from being sorted, sat in trays for Monday or even later. Disgraceful.
Philbag70

Post by Philbag70 »

Are the lying charlatans that currently run RM, really going to successfully blag their way through this charade? How and more importantly, why, are they getting away with this blatant fraud? Lying to parliament, customers and staff. Bullying, intimidating and discriminating against staff.
And they still get away with it.
Ofcom are clearly in cahoots with the RM shysters. Apparently no evidence has been found of ' prioritising parcels over letters '. Really? 100,000 postal workers are all making this up are they?
Why is nobody with any power, doing anything about this?
clashcityrocker

Post by clashcityrocker »

More shite from the Daily Mail.
The paper that thought Hitler was a good chap.
Why not phone up Robin Hood
world class male

Post by world class male »

clashcityrocker wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 18:40
i'd sooner have skid marks than wipe my arse on the daily mail, total scum paper and would need to check my mobile to check the date
Sean06

Post by Sean06 »

world class male wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 19:14
clashcityrocker wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 18:40
i'd sooner have skid marks than wipe my arse on the daily mail, total scum paper and would need to check my mobile to check the date
So are they telling lies or is it the posties telling them.this chat site is full of the same stories.an i think of the dm same as you.
Mr Rush

Post by Mr Rush »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 08:51
'It's immoral
Alas, making a buck is more important to RM.

I don't like it. You don't like it. But we'll have to do more than grumble about it if we truly believe it's a question of morality.
Any Questions?
Yeah, how do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?
dazzler123

Post by dazzler123 »

Philbag70 wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 18:13
Are the lying charlatans that currently run RM, really going to successfully blag their way through this charade? How and more importantly, why, are they getting away with this blatant fraud? Lying to parliament, customers and staff. Bullying, intimidating and discriminating against staff.
And they still get away with it.
Ofcom are clearly in cahoots with the RM shysters. Apparently no evidence has been found of ' prioritising parcels over letters '. Really? 100,000 postal workers are all making this up are they?
Why is nobody with any power, doing anything about this?
Yes, i actually gave up after their statement. its all corrupt to the bone
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

qwerty2 wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 13:05
scoobydo79 wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 12:25
Dave, Andy and Chris have been hiding under the duvet for months :angel
Don't think the union actually exists anymore above local level