ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Mystery of UK postboxes being painted solved as Green Pimpernel claims credit after Ireland blame

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Mystery of UK postboxes being painted solved as Green Pimpernel claims credit after Ireland blame

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world-n ... d-26973997

Furious Huddersfield residents demanded a police manhunt to catch the culprit after a number of postboxes were given an unwanted lick of paint in recent weeks

The mystery of postboxes in a UK town being painted green has been solved after a self-confessed ‘Green Pimpernel’ admitted their guilt.

Furious Huddersfield residents demanded a police manhunt to catch the culprit after a number of postboxes were given an unwanted lick of paint in recent weeks.

West Yorkshire Police launched an investigation after residents complained about “vandalism of the Queen's property”.

The conundrum has both angered and baffled residents. At first there was speculation that it may have been a stunt by a Green Party supporter ahead of the Council elections.

Then residents suspected a possible link to Ireland.

Postboxes in Ireland were originally red and seen as a symbol of British rule, but were painted over in green when the country gained its independence.

But now, hiding behind their anonymity, the so-called Yorkshire Banksy has written a garbled letter to ExaminerLive explaining their actions.

The Pimpernel, thought to be an American, says they have "taken on the task of identifying dilapidated postboxes within Kirklees that have not seen a lick of paint for years, which I have been retiring to the original colour of green with a modern neon or turquoise twist. In its simplest form it is an artistic expression."

Kirklees councillor Bernard McGuin, who last week joked that the paintings could be “a Sinn Fein propaganda stunt” after the party's success in the NI Assembly Elections, has urged the person responsible to stop.

He said: “This is costing Royal Mail money every time to repaint them. Whoever is doing this should realise that the council is not responsible for this and I would urge them to stop doing it.

"If they are making a point about the state of the roads, although I sympathise, this is not the right way to do things.

“There have been a few 'jokey' comments about myself being responsible but I do not think upsetting the people living near these now multi-coloured monstrosities are laughing anymore. Enough is enough, whatever point this so-called Green Pimpernel is making is being lost.

"Another fear I have is that we are inspiring copycats to carry out more vandalism so I ask for vigilance from people and to report any suspicious activity near Royal Mail post boxes."

It comes after enraged locals demanded a police manhunt to catch the culprit.

Margaret Hardy, 79, who has lived in the Edgerton suburb for more than 40 years said: "Edgerton is a conservation area so we take any kind of 'tradition-baiting' extremely seriously here. I just hope the police are doing their best to find the culprit.”

Zena Walker, who turned up for work at a hardware store on Thursday to find the postbox next to it painted green, said: "I immediately reported it to the police as it is vandalism of the Queen's property. I was given a crime reference number and I want it repainted in its proper colour as soon as possible.

“On Thursday, it was the talk of the shop with people asking what had happened."

A Royal Mail spokesman said: "We do not know who repainted these postboxes, and are reporting this matter to the police. We will be repainting the boxes in the iconic red as soon as possible."

Both Sinn Fein and West Yorkshire Police have been contacted for comment.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Mystery of UK postboxes being painted solved as ‘Green Pimpernel' claims credit after Ireland blame

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Mysterious 'Green Pimpernel' claims credit for spraying postboxes in Huddersfield after police manhunt demanded

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/wes ... s-23965464

The self-styled Yorkshire Banksy is thought to be an American living in the Edgerton/Marsh area

The Royal Mail post box by a cricket Club on Kaye Lane, Almondbury, vandalised by the Green Pimpernel (Image: Robert Sutcliffe/Reach)

The self-confessed 'Green Pimpernel' who has been busy repainting Royal Mail postboxes in the Huddersfield area has admitted to his guilt.

Although he is hiding behind anonymity, the so-called Yorkshire Banksy has written a garbled letter to ExaminerLive explaining his actions. So far several postboxes, mainly in the Lepton / Almondbury area have been repainted an apple green colour, but he has also repainted one on Imperial Road on the Marsh / Edgerton border- the area where it is thought he lives. The Royal Mail has been busy repainting them their traditional red.

The Pimpernel, thought to be an American, says he has "taken on the task of identifying dilapidated postboxes within Kirklees that have not seen a lick of paint for years, which I have been retiring to the original colour of green with a modern neon or turquoise twist. In its simplest form it is an artistic expression." He has recently repainted two in Almondbury village and close to a cricket club on Kaye Lane.

Locals had called for a police manhunt after the green postboxes first started popping up.

Kirklees Clr Bernard McGuin, (Con, Almondbury), said: "Perhaps I should check on Jake Mangelwurzel's grave to make sure that he is still there as this is the type of thing he was known for. I think he would be chuckling at this and it is coming to his birthday. On a serious note, this is costing Royal Mail money every time to repaint them. Whoever is doing this should realise that the council is not responsible for this and I would urge them to stop doing it.

"If they are making a point about the state of the roads, although I sympathise, this is not the right way to do things. People have just had a democratic vote and, even though I might not like the results, it is important to respect the wishes of the electorate.

"I cannot apologise to people for something I have not done or endorsed. There have been a few 'jokey' comments about myself being responsible but I do not think upsetting the people living near these now multi-coloured monstrosities are laughing anymore. Enough is enough, whatever point this so-called Green Pimpernel is making is being lost.

"Another fear I have is that we are inspiring copycats to carry out more vandalism so I ask for vigilance from people and to report any suspicious activity near Royal Mail post boxes."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
clashcityrocker

Re: Mystery of UK postboxes being painted solved as ‘Green Pimpernel' claims credit after Ireland blame

Post by clashcityrocker »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
17 May 2022, 10:41

and to report any suspicious activity near Royal Mail post boxes."
Today i saw someone in what looked like a Dynorod/DPD uniform opening a Royal mail box and taking stuff out of it.
They then drove off in a white hire van.
Should I report it?
Why not phone up Robin Hood