I know all managers cannot be tarred with the same brush, however, why does nothing happen to the managers who have flouted the law, who have been proven guilty in an Employment Tribunal of discriminating against employees whether it be racism or disability where the evidence is shown in the judgement in black and white.Brain Fury wrote:I think it's fairly common knowledge that the weakness of first line operational managers has been the achilles heel of the business for years. I don't have any direct experience of DOMs as man-managers but In my experience at least 50% of DOMs are pretty useless in terms of reasons why I engage with them. Equally at virtually every DO I visit there are some posties who need sorting out in a big way. Manager or not I would never accept being spoken to in the way that I see some posties talk to their manager who seem to simply ignore it for the sake of relative peace. I'd like to think they are showing off in front of me but somehow I doubt it. As you say I'd accept that there are incompetent DOMS but to be honest I am amazed that anyone would want the job. There isn't enough money in RM to make me want to do it with what some seem to have to put up with. I wonder how easy it is to recruit good DOMs.fishtank wrote:I would doubt that the Telegraph would be running a story entitled Royal Mail staff discontent with bosses based on these stats if these stats were anywhere near the industry norm.Brain Fury wrote:You can only really get a feel for these results if you can consider them against the results for similar organisations.
The figures are abysmal despite a small fortune being poured into employee engagement through RMTV,MyRoyalMail.com,a veritable avalanche of Courier inserts and of course World Class Mail.
Why?...because and this isn't a personal dig but the bottom line is management in general just aren't up to the job.
Hooper doubted management's ability to bring the staff through the modernisation programme in one piece and he was right.
There are too many who shouldn't have made it above what would have been a supervisor in any other industry and I would imagine deep down you know that.Too many who have sat in a quiet delivery office that ran itself for 15 years who have no idea how to cope with what they are being asked to do now and dragged out of their comfort zone they are lashing out at the staff through their own ignorance.
The business lacks the courage to deal with this situation,It has always been a weakness in the company that it cannot deal with failing managers,It moves them sideways and simply spreads the infection,It has been so sadly as long as I remember and as long as it continues there will be no genuine employee engagement.
As far as the survey results go there were some industry norms published along with this year's results. I can't get them at the moment but from memory some apparently bad results were around or slightly better than the standard.
Do these managers not need sorting out in a big way?
In the code of business handbook page 31 under the heading 'Managers duty of care' one of the bullet points state-
Behave responsibly, ensuring that your actions are lawful and do not expose you or the company to legal liability, either by
ill advised action or by negligence.
These managers are not sorted out in any way to my knowledge, in fact most of these managers are promoted who then carry around their ill thought actions like a badge of honour, what kind of message does this send to the perpetrator? its hardly suprising that B&H is epidemic in delivery offices throughout the uk.