ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

More Mail Dumping

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: More Mail Dumping

Post by DGP1 »

ChrisWinter wrote: No, it's not rural. Takes me around 4 hours.
Didn't claim OT as I finished my round on time.
The additional parcels were my choice.
Out of the kindness of my heart? If you like. I know that's a rare thing these days.
PMSL, your managers must love you, did you get invited over to his house to get the scraps off his dinner plate :chuckle :chuckle
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
ChrisWinter
Posts: 6
Joined: 08 Nov 2010, 18:42
Gender: Male

Re: More Mail Dumping

Post by ChrisWinter »

I missed the invite!
From what I was told, the managers were off home at around 11am.
I was shocked. :wink:
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: More Mail Dumping

Post by DGP1 »

ChrisWinter wrote:I missed the invite!
From what I was told, the managers were off home at around 11am.
I was shocked. :wink:
Shame really :sad: maybe you'll get the invite tomorrow because he's got to do something to thank you for all your selfless acts :nervous
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
axeman
Posts: 1733
Joined: 12 Jun 2007, 17:57

Re: More Mail Dumping

Post by axeman »

ChrisWinter wrote:I missed the invite!
From what I was told, the managers were off home at around 11am.
I was shocked. :wink:

biggest shock you'll ever get is when you realise how stupid you were :wink: :shock:
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: More Mail Dumping

Post by dvbuk55 »

Delivering everything no matter how long, looking for customers parcels in the run up to Christmas, gone back out with a late special - yep been there done that BUT that was 15 years ago when we were appreciated by management, when training was training, when managers were ex postmen who knew the difficulties, not some jumped up graduate or a wannabe who's done the job for a few months............. Chris Winter may just be one of those. Anyone can be a postie for a few weeks, or months but try it for 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, 20 years, day in day out week in week out in an environment that is more and more hostile and pretty soon you no longer want to be Mr nice guy.
ChrisWinter
Posts: 6
Joined: 08 Nov 2010, 18:42
Gender: Male

Re: More Mail Dumping

Post by ChrisWinter »

axeman wrote: biggest shock you'll ever get is when you realise how stupid you were :wink: :shock:
Those customers who received their parcels when they'd given up hope don't think I'm stupid.
DGP1 wrote: Shame really :sad: maybe you'll get the invite tomorrow because he's got to do something to thank you for all your selfless acts :nervous
He'll be far too busy wondering how he's going to even begin to sort out the chaos waiting for him. :hmmmm
dvbuk55 wrote:Delivering everything no matter how long, looking for customers parcels in the run up to Christmas, gone back out with a late special - yep been there done that BUT that was 15 years ago when we were appreciated by management, when training was training, when managers were ex postmen who knew the difficulties, not some jumped up graduate or a wannabe who's done the job for a few months............. Chris Winter may just be one of those. Anyone can be a postie for a few weeks, or months but try it for 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, 20 years, day in day out week in week out in an environment that is more and more hostile and pretty soon you no longer want to be Mr nice guy.
I know what you're saying, but I've been a postman for 11 years. The DOM and two of the line managers are ex-postmen.
I find the job boring and tedious (but not in December!) and dogs really annoy me (I can't be the only one who wants to strangle them). I don't understand this constant battle between staff and management. It just makes the job harder. It would be great to have managers that pitch in - especially at Christmas - just like you read about in the Courier; but this constant bitching is getting us nowhere.

All I've heard this month is "I'm not doing this", "I'm not doing that", "I'm not taking any parcels", "If parcels don't arrive on time, then it's the customers' fault for ordering online instead of going to the shop!" << that's a beauty.

I know no one here is going to agree with me, but our jobs would be a breeze if people would stop focusing so much effort and energy on giving the finger to management.

Merry Christmas! :Very Happy
ChrisWinter
Posts: 6
Joined: 08 Nov 2010, 18:42
Gender: Male

Re: More Mail Dumping

Post by ChrisWinter »

dvbuk55 - Your dog is one of the nice, quiet ones... I can tell. :oops: :silenced
Post Off
Posts: 268
Joined: 12 Oct 2007, 15:13

Re: More Mail Dumping

Post by Post Off »

I've got a manager who pitches in everyday, and not just at Christmas. He's brilliant. :cool

You know, I do believe that this is a cry for help. I mean, it's quite possible that there are groups of posties who are like this -- and in every orifice, but 90%? No, I simply cannot believe this. You will have to prove it.

It's true, though, for me, that there is, in fact, a small group of posties in our office who are like this. But it's just them, not the majority of staff, ffs! You simply cannot go around accusing 90% of a workforce of being whatever, just because of a handful of tossers, excuse my french. Sheesh!
We posties do things differently, but we still get shot at!

Our (other) men and women deserve a little more... http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: More Mail Dumping

Post by fishtank »

ChrisWinter wrote:
axeman wrote: biggest shock you'll ever get is when you realise how stupid you were :wink: :shock:
Those customers who received their parcels when they'd given up hope don't think I'm stupid.
I'm sure they don't Chris...i'm sure they are very grateful. :Applause :Applause

However some things bother me about your posts...you say that 90% of your colleagues are useless lazy *****...are you sure that's what you meant or did you just get carried away a little trying to make a point. :oops:
It's a poor reflection on either the staff in your office or the respect you have for them...sometimes the line between respect for others and self-respect can get a little blurred....do you feel isolated in your office?...perhaps you don't mix very well with others.

Now as far as you "going the extra mile"...that's fine but do you intend to keep it up or was it just for Christmas?
Working for free is fine in your book but i would much rather see someone paid for it...it helps to protect jobs you see and that helps us all...customers and staff.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: More Mail Dumping

Post by andy2007 »

Chris: I can't be sure. But IMHO, I think it was the tone of your posts, rather than what's in them, which is causing offence. We all know there are a minority (but 90%, come on! you must be joking!!!!!) who abuse the rules put in place to protect us. But to come on, and claim that it's the majority. That's going too far! :no no

Allow me to clarify a few things here:
1) "Cutting off" is there to protect people from being taken advantage of. By being given rounds (or other duties for that matter) which simply can't be done in the time allowed. And forced to complete anyway, basically doing free overtime. It's not intended to give anyone an easy life. And quite frankly, I doubt that many (if any) are still getting away with going too slow, and cutting off. There are a large number of Posties who are being harrassed, because the Managers believe that they could go faster, but the computer assessment of their round is wrong (and they refuse to test the round, because they know this!). Making it impossible to complete in their duty hours.

2) If it's not a regular thing (e.g. you're just doing it because of the backlog), then I don't see anything stupid, about you giving your time for free, to give the Public a better service. Far from it! I think you'll find that the majority on here, have done exactly the same thing in the past. And that the only reason they don't still do it, is because when their rounds were assessed, by some fool with a PC. Their performance INCLUDING the free overtime, was used as a baseline. And that they were put under immense pressure to do it all year round. Which quite frankly, is dispicable! :Sick If they choose to only work their duty hours, or claim overtime. It removes that ammunition from their Manager's arsenal.

3) If you ARE right about the quantity of p**s takers in your office. Then rest assured. They'll have the shock of their lives very soon, when the revisions reach you. :hmmmm
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: More Mail Dumping

Post by dvbuk55 »

ChrisWinter wrote:dvbuk55 - Your dog is one of the nice, quiet ones... I can tell. :oops: :silenced
So he is - he's just trained to bite backsides :wave
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: More Mail Dumping

Post by clashcityrocker »

Nobody dumps mail on a regular basis.
If you dump mail - you get caught.
If you dump mail, this is an act of desperation. It is nothing to do with being lazy, nothing to do with not going the extra mile, nothing to do with anything apart from not coping.
From my exprience, people who dump mail are not coping with something outside of work.
Because most people can cope with work. It isn't rocket science.

Whether 90% of posties are lazy c***s, either in one office, or nationally is irrelevant. It has nothing to do with why this one postie chose to dump his mail, rather than talk to someone about why, on that day, he couldn't deliver it.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
mazza111
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 877
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 16:30
Gender: Female

Re: More Mail Dumping

Post by mazza111 »

There are 2 sides to this.

1. There are the lazy bstids who are dumping mail cos they can't be arsed. We had one in our office. Who used to come back and do overtime, then dump or stash what he was meant to be delivering. Eventually got caught and done. Although in saying that the guy did have serious mental health problems.

2. There are people who are under stress. Had one of those in our office too. Problems at home, dumped his last bag. Immediately caught and dealt with.


What I don't understand is, if they can't cope, have they gone to their management? Has it fallen on deaf ears or have they not tried? We too have pretty good management, yes I disagree with a lot of what they do, and tell them so, but any problems I've had at home (including a messy separation) have been met with kindness and openness.

Having read these forums for a while, I think we must have a good manager. I can't understand why someone is in management who is unapproachable. We have had one of those 2 and the difference between him and the other 2 managers we have is immense. I certainly wouldn't want to go to him with any problems that I have.

Guess what I'm trying to say, maybe if some of these managers were more approachable and understanding of personal problems, then there would be less of this kind of thing going on
Phantom
Posts: 1234
Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
Gender: Female
Location: New York

Re: More Mail Dumping

Post by Phantom »

The only way forward is to cut off and that would solve no more dumping mail, overtime issues, fatigue and seeing more of your family - until then it will be a battle but its one that i now look forward to and enjoy cos i always win :Very Happy
CUT OFF!!!
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: More Mail Dumping

Post by Lounge Lizard »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Pat Ostman wrote:Should've just worked to their time, no excuse at all for this.
There usually is an excuse for it and it usually begins and ends with the DOM not being aware of the stress the OPG is suffering, or not being approachable.
The rep has to share some of the blame and (if it's a newbie) the workplace coach as well.

Dumping mail is a cry for help. It happens when no-one has listened to previous cries for help.
"The rep has to share some of the blame" :shock: - Why ? :shock: