Hartlepool MP Jonathan Brash is due to meet with Royal Mail bosses soon over the “completely unacceptable” service in town.
Mr Brash is set to sit down with executives when he will raise complaints of residents waiting weeks for batches of mail, including important letters, to be delivered.
One Hartlepool resident complained to Royal Mail, and the MP’s office, after he had to cancel a new bank card when it didn’t arrive after four weeks.
Mervyn Lake, 52, then had to go to the sorting office in Clark Street to collect the replacement card and other post.
The Royal Mail's Hartlepool sorting office in Clark Street.

He said: “It’s not good at all. I had to cancel my bank card as it was issued at the beginning of August but I did not receive it until September 8 alongside all other mail I was waiting for as a bulk delivery.
“It’s not just myself, it’s affecting other people. Every time I have been to the sorting office there have been people complaining.
“The service provided is not fit for purpose.”
Mr Brash said: “The situation with Royal Mail in Hartlepool is completely unacceptable. People should not be waiting four weeks for their post, having to travel to the sorting office to find letters that should have been delivered to their door, or cancelling bank cards because they fear important correspondence has gone missing.”
He stressed the town’s “brilliant” postal workers were not to blame, adding: “Management needs to get a grip.
“I have a meeting with Royal Mail executives coming up and I will be raising these issues directly.”
A motion to Hartlepool Borough Council on Thursday night also proposed a number of actions including writing to Royal Mail and the Government.
Greater use of council email, text messaging and online accounts may also be used to relay important information to residents.
A Royal Mail spokesperson told the Mail: “We know how important it is that customers receive their mail when expected, particularly important items such as bank cards and other essential correspondence.
“We continue to focus on improving the reliability and consistency of the service for customers across the area.”
It says 80.9% of first class mail in the TS postcode area is delivered the next working day, with most of the remainder delivered in the following days.