ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Going through a red light...consequences?
-
norris9
- Posts: 2695
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Going through a red light...consequences?
Thinking I may have gone through a red light at a traffic light which has a camera. It is touch and go whether I made it through before it went red. I didn't see a flash, but that's because I wasn't looking in my wing mirrors to check.
Not going to make excuses. I may or may have screwed up. May have may have not got away with it. Though it's not like I was speeding through a clear red light. The light was amber, but may have switched to red centimetres before I got to the line. It was close to call.
Correct me if I am wrong - I assume the front of your vehicle needs to pass clear of the white line painted on the road before the light turns red to avoid a fine. Therefore I assume that if the rest of your vehicle is passing over the white line when the light is red this is fine as long as the front of your car got over the line in time. As a lorry could easily go through a light when the light is green, but the rear end may pass over the line when the light is red.
Anyway...
What is the typical action of a line manager/DOM in this situation. Pass the fine over to me and I get a slap on the wrist or do they take this down conduct code or worse?
No points on my own license as it stands. No history of conduct issues etc.
Hopefully I didn't trigger the camera and just made it through.
Not going to make excuses. I may or may have screwed up. May have may have not got away with it. Though it's not like I was speeding through a clear red light. The light was amber, but may have switched to red centimetres before I got to the line. It was close to call.
Correct me if I am wrong - I assume the front of your vehicle needs to pass clear of the white line painted on the road before the light turns red to avoid a fine. Therefore I assume that if the rest of your vehicle is passing over the white line when the light is red this is fine as long as the front of your car got over the line in time. As a lorry could easily go through a light when the light is green, but the rear end may pass over the line when the light is red.
Anyway...
What is the typical action of a line manager/DOM in this situation. Pass the fine over to me and I get a slap on the wrist or do they take this down conduct code or worse?
No points on my own license as it stands. No history of conduct issues etc.
Hopefully I didn't trigger the camera and just made it through.
-
grchpo
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
- Gender: Male
Going through a red light...consequences?
3 points on your licence & you pay the fine, no grief from manager or that's what happened when I was caught speeding.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Going through a red light...consequences?
don't be an ''amber gambler''.
-
mags999
- Posts: 372
- Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 11:05
- Gender: Male
Going through a red light...consequences?
with any luck you will be taken off driving

-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12184
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Going through a red light...consequences?
Doesn't it also depend on whether attempting to stop at the red light would cause an accident (vehicle behind running into you) or if you'd end up in a dangerous position?
-
2yearpostie
- Posts: 1839
- Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
- Gender: Male
Going through a red light...consequences?
First offence youll be fine, but if you have any more driving incidents or accident they will take you down conduct.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3724
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Going through a red light...consequences?
Could have been painful for somebody........!!!!!norris9 wrote:....................... Though it's not like I was speeding through a clear red light. The light was amber, ...................
UK Highway code: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... ng-traffic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AMBER means ‘Stop’ at the stop line. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident
-
norris9
- Posts: 2695
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Going through a red light...consequences?
Nice, walking duties finish early.mags999 wrote:with any luck you will be taken off driving![]()
on a serious note.... do they actually tend to take you off driving for speeding/red light offences/parking ticket offences etc? or is it just if you have an accident?
-
gimba
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 21:12
- Gender: Male
Going through a red light...consequences?
you think because front wheels are over the line you'll be fine?
You do know we have amber lights to tell you in advanced the light is changing to red, telling you to stop, not at red .. at amber
You do know we have amber lights to tell you in advanced the light is changing to red, telling you to stop, not at red .. at amber
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12184
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Going through a red light...consequences?
If the OP had another vehicle close behind then trying to stop for the red light would cause an accidentgimba wrote:you think because front wheels are over the line you'll be fine?
You do know we have amber lights to tell you in advanced the light is changing to red, telling you to stop, not at red .. at amber
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Going through a red light...consequences?
I was under the impression RM vans can park anywhere double yellows, crossings etc because we carry the Queens crest?mags999 wrote:parking ticket offences
-
norris9
- Posts: 2695
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Going through a red light...consequences?
nice, got people on a forum lecturing me over going through an amber light.gimba wrote:you think because front wheels are over the line you'll be fine?
You do know we have amber lights to tell you in advanced the light is changing to red, telling you to stop, not at red .. at amber
-
Startingover
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 06 Jun 2018, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Going through a red light...consequences?
norris9 wrote:nice, got people on a forum lecturing me over going through an amber light.gimba wrote:you think because front wheels are over the line you'll be fine?
You do know we have amber lights to tell you in advanced the light is changing to red, telling you to stop, not at red .. at amber
I would not get too worked up about comments made etc. I'm not sure how old you are, but by the time you get to your late 50's, there will be times in your life when you will have gone through a traffic light on red. I believe it's called the law of averages. Anyhow, my understanding is should there be a fine, Royal Mail will get you to pay. A decent manager will also say don't do it again and that will be the end of it.
-
ted_e_bear
- Posts: 4109
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Going through a red light...consequences?
I agree, no need to worry about being criticized on here, someone at our place got speedcamered earlier this year,it took about 2 weeks to filter through and the Dom passed it on to her to deal with, she went on the course to avoid points and that was the last of it, no further action was taken regarding conduct at work etc.Startingover wrote:norris9 wrote:nice, got people on a forum lecturing me over going through an amber light.gimba wrote:you think because front wheels are over the line you'll be fine?
You do know we have amber lights to tell you in advanced the light is changing to red, telling you to stop, not at red .. at amber
I would not get too worked up about comments made etc. I'm not sure how old you are, but by the time you get to your late 50's, there will be times in your life when you will have gone through a traffic light on red. I believe it's called the law of averages. Anyhow, my understanding is should there be a fine, Royal Mail will get you to pay. A decent manager will also say don't do it again and that will be the end of it.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Going through a red light...consequences?
But you in your post said red? get your facts right but I personally would not worry about it as far more important things are happening these days!norris9 wrote:nice, got people on a forum lecturing me over going through an amber light.gimba wrote:you think because front wheels are over the line you'll be fine?
You do know we have amber lights to tell you in advanced the light is changing to red, telling you to stop, not at red .. at amber