not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Positive drug driving test

08 Mar 2020, 17:36

Hi guys sorry I don’t know if I’m posting this in the right place but I have an employee who has been stopped by law enforcement and has tested positive for driving with cannabis. Shes now awaiting full result from blood test to find out whether or not she will lose her licence but does anyone know whether or not she will be able to keep her job if she does lose her licence ( 12 months mandatory minimum if the bloods come back positive ) She’s a post lady on a full time permanent contract and has been with the business for 5 years . Thanks guys :arrrghhh :arrrghhh

08 Mar 2020, 17:47

Sure that all new starters over the last couple of years are now required to drive, would be digging out here contract to see if it states required to drive, if so would be up to the discretion of the manager. No excuse for drug driving which is as bad as drink driving, sociable unacceptable. That said I hope she has learnt her lesson and is able to keep her job, good luck.

08 Mar 2020, 20:08

Full time after five years

09 Mar 2020, 12:36

AdamB1982 wrote:Hi guys sorry I don’t know if I’m posting this in the right place but I have an employee who has been stopped by law enforcement and has tested positive for driving with cannabis. Shes now awaiting full result from blood test to find out whether or not she will lose her licence but does anyone know whether or not she will be able to keep her job if she does lose her licence ( 12 months mandatory minimum if the bloods come back positive ) She’s a post lady on a full time permanent contract and has been with the business for 5 years . Thanks guys :arrrghhh :arrrghhh

its not as cut and dried as a yes she will be sacked, or that she may keep her job.

A lot will depend on her attitude, whether there will be a prosecution or trial, if she accepts she was in the wrong, how flexible she is now, and going forward. How remorseful she is etc.

It's like a trial if there any extra information that hasn't been divulged here that make the incident appear worse than at first sight will be used against her, and any mitigating circumstances will be taken into account.

She will have to be prepared for the possibility of being dismissed, but if she is upfront and honest about it this will enhance her chances of staying with Royal Mail, but it won't guarantee it.

09 Mar 2020, 12:38

gary1975 wrote:Full time after five years

Not sure what bearing that has on any advice you may give, but I was full time after 2 years.

09 Mar 2020, 20:25

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
gary1975 wrote:Full time after five years

Not sure what bearing that has on any advice you may give, but I was full time after 2 years.

Lucky you

09 Mar 2020, 20:43

It could be argued since cannabis is traceable in blood for a while , she may have been driving RM vehicles with it in her system. I'm surprised RM don't do random drug and alcohol checks with the size of the fleet they run.

10 Mar 2020, 00:38

noggin1969 wrote:It could be argued since cannabis is traceable in blood for a while , she may have been driving RM vehicles with it in her system. I'm surprised RM don't do random drug and alcohol checks with the size of the fleet they run.

The union won’t agree to it.

10 Mar 2020, 18:47

The union won’t agree to it.

Think the managers union would block it , judging by the amount of stories about them powdering their noses. ;liar

11 Mar 2020, 17:43

In my office, I know of a postman who was convicted of drink, driving and banned from driving, but still kept his job, and once the driving ban ended, he resumed driving duties, don't know what would have happened if the conviction had been for drug driving

12 Mar 2020, 03:21

if she is the driver she obviously doesn't give a s**t about the safety of her passenger and co worker :sad:

12 Mar 2020, 11:43

To be honest, cant generate a lot of sympathy for a drink/drug driver

12 Mar 2020, 14:28

vinnieb5 wrote:if she is the driver she obviously doesn't give a s**t about the safety of her passenger and co worker :sad:
vinnieb5 wrote:if she is the driver she obviously doesn't give a s**t about the safety of her passenger and co worker :sad:

Same here but as she hasn't posted and a colleague has asked for advice I have given some. If you have any that could help the concerned colleague it would be appreciated if you could divulge it.

12 Mar 2020, 17:52

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:

Same here but as she hasn't posted and a colleague has asked for advice I have given some. If you have any that could help the concerned colleague it would be appreciated if you could divulge it.

Advice for the future, don’t take drugs it could cost you your job

17 Mar 2020, 11:08

AdamB1982 wrote:Hi guys sorry I don’t know if I’m posting this in the right place but I have an employee who has been stopped by law enforcement and has tested positive for driving with cannabis. Shes now awaiting full result from blood test to find out whether or not she will lose her licence but does anyone know whether or not she will be able to keep her job if she does lose her licence ( 12 months mandatory minimum if the bloods come back positive ) She’s a post lady on a full time permanent contract and has been with the business for 5 years . Thanks guys :arrrghhh :arrrghhh

Good chance she will be binned as hash can stay in your blood for up to 3 months, hair 6 months. And she has been probably driving RM vehicles and they will be able to give a rough time estimate of driving times due to the high/low count in the blood of any drugs taken. Yes at Glasgow APC we had a few drivers who had drink problems but weren't sacked they were put out on the cold platform and attended AA for about a year. One guy couldn't get his act together and they had to bin him as he was still going to AA after 18 months in RMs time but still turned up pished at 05:30. They had to get rid off him in the end. But if a kid runs out in front of your van/lorry and you kill them you deserve the book thrown at you for being intoxicated by drink or drugs or too much lapsing. I hope she does get binned them maybe more people will be safer on the streets. :evil/mad

22 Mar 2020, 21:30

Please forgive me, she was driving under the influence of a controlled drug. In my opinion the level is irrelevant she could have killed or maimed someone due to her state. I am a firm believer of giving people a second chance but you should expect to lose your job with this level of offence.

30 Mar 2020, 13:08

Any news on this? I’m curious to know now in light of the virus. Wonder if blood test & court cases are still proceeding as normal :shock:

02 Apr 2020, 14:58

If hash stays in your blood and hair for so long it doesnt make it fair for other people who do not smoke it, but have been around people who have smoked it and passed it to them.

09 Apr 2020, 00:42

bunji wrote:Please forgive me, she was driving under the influence of a controlled drug. In my opinion the level is irrelevant she could have killed or maimed someone due to her state. I am a firm believer of giving people a second chance but you should expect to lose your job with this level of offence.

I second that, you should be sacked from your job whatever that is for drink and drug driving.

1,500 people are killed on the roads every year, trying to save some of those lives by telling these criminals they will instantly lose their job upon conviction would be good practice surely.
Last edited by meercat on 02 May 2020, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

02 May 2020, 18:20

No if or buts she should be sacked and prosecuted she could also be dealing good riddance.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2