not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE



New Start, on long term loan?

07 Mar 2020, 13:42

Hello all,

I started in December before Xmas (30h/pw contact), in Office A. I spent 3 weeks shadowing other posties, then was asked to help cover Office B after Xmas. I have been driving to office B now for over 2 months (getting mileage paid), which is 30-40 mins drive due to traffic and roadworks, each way. I have been doing this commute in my own time, in my private vehicle. I didn't mind helping out at first with driving as office B is short staffed and it saved office B sending someone to pick me up.

However, I am now over 3 months in, haven't spoke to my Work coach since in Office B, training log isn't filled out, i'm not diesel trained yet, and not sure who my rep in Office A is. (I know very little about the union, we didn't have a visit at our induction, but i am a member thanks to Office B rep advice).

Anyway my problem that i would like some advice on is this; I have asked to report to Office A in the mornings so i can meet my work coach, speak to my CWU rep about whats going on with these strike letters that RM have been sending us ect. However, I was told by my Office A Manager, that he will send my training logs to B, and i should talk to office B rep, and because I am on long term loan (first time this was mentioned to me), I have to report to Office B at my start time. Also I will be transferred there permanently when i Hit 6 months. I will not be entitled to Mileage, even though I live 2 mins from Office A. This all came up as one of the Office A colleagues thought i had quit as he hadn't seen me and they should be rotating people who travel. (he delivered my post on my rdo)

My Questions are this:

Can they move me permanently to another office from the one i was hired at without my consent?
Do I have to travel to another office 30 mins away everyday, in my own time, even if i want to report to my own office first?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :Boo hoo!

New Start, on long term loan?

07 Mar 2020, 15:01

if you dont have business insurance on your car you are driving uninsured to the 'loaner' office so stop doing it. Yo are entitled to turn up at your office at your start time and be taken back there before your finish time. Its up to RM to provide the transport.

New Start, on long term loan?

07 Mar 2020, 15:11

Thank you for the reply 2yearpostie. That is something i had not considered, and an excellent point. I do not have business insurance.

New Start, on long term loan?

07 Mar 2020, 15:28

Zuiko wrote:Thank you for the reply 2yearpostie. That is something i had not considered, and an excellent point. I do not have business insurance.


And even if you do have business insurance, you are under no obligation to use your vehicle for Royal Mail's benefit.

New Start, on long term loan?

07 Mar 2020, 17:01

Zuiko wrote:I do not have business insurance.


When you do tell them this, They will say it doesn't matter as it's your place of work. This is not correct. Even Royal Mail a while back were telling people who were going for induction to make sure they were covered as it was not their regular place of work.

New Start, on long term loan?

07 Mar 2020, 18:26

Your are not meant to be moved to another office for the first 6 months when you start in royal mail

New Start, on long term loan?

07 Mar 2020, 21:01

I’m interested in the answer to the other part of his question:

Where does he stand if RM simply say, no no your office is office B now, consider that your primary place of work, you’ll never have to work in office A again, you’re office B now.

Can’t they say he’s not contracted to work solely and forever at office A?

New Start, on long term loan?

08 Mar 2020, 12:49

LaggyBand wrote:I’m interested in the answer to the other part of his question:

Where does he stand if RM simply say, no no your office is office B now, consider that your primary place of work, you’ll never have to work in office A again, you’re office B now.

Can’t they say he’s not contracted to work solely and forever at office A?

I would wager that the contract only says that it will give you the 30 hours, not where and when so they can send you anywhere they see fit but as already stated they have to provide the transport whether that be a van or a lift from someone else and within start/finish times. A private car should definitely not be used.

New Start, on long term loan?

08 Mar 2020, 20:59

Thanks for all the advice so far, it has been super helpful. I now know I should not be driving my car to another office. I will bring this up to my manager. I do not mind being loaned to office B for the record, they are awesome people.

Is there any more advice on the second question, can they just move me office (after my 6 months is up?) without my permission? I applied to this job in office A due to the fact it is local and I will be able to do the school runs in the morning and afternoon. Again, any help and advice would be great!

New Start, on long term loan?

09 Mar 2020, 06:52

olilew wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:I’m interested in the answer to the other part of his question:

Where does he stand if RM simply say, no no your office is office B now, consider that your primary place of work, you’ll never have to work in office A again, you’re office B now.

Can’t they say he’s not contracted to work solely and forever at office A?

I would wager that the contract only says that it will give you the 30 hours, not where and when so they can send you anywhere they see fit but as already stated they have to provide the transport whether that be a van or a lift from someone else and within start/finish times. A private car should definitely not be used.


My contract has my Delivery office name on it

New Start, on long term loan?

09 Mar 2020, 08:36

gary1975 wrote:
olilew wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:I’m interested in the answer to the other part of his question:

Where does he stand if RM simply say, no no your office is office B now, consider that your primary place of work, you’ll never have to work in office A again, you’re office B now.

Can’t they say he’s not contracted to work solely and forever at office A?

I would wager that the contract only says that it will give you the 30 hours, not where and when so they can send you anywhere they see fit but as already stated they have to provide the transport whether that be a van or a lift from someone else and within start/finish times. A private car should definitely not be used.


My contract has my Delivery office name on it

Been ages since I read my contract but I think there's a bit that mentions that in theory we could be sent to any RM office in the UK

New Start, on long term loan?

10 Mar 2020, 00:45

You shouldn’t be doing the commute in your own time either, you are getting paid business mileage because you are working. You are on the clock for the time it takes to travel from office A to B and then time it takes you from B to A at the end of the day. Get hold of a rep tomorrow and get this sorted.

New Start, on long term loan?

11 Mar 2020, 19:34

Hi guys,

So on Monday I brought up the travelling in my private vehicle, and with some resistance, they agreed to arrange transport. However when I returned to work today, I have been informed my transfer is completed with HR already, and I am no longer a part of office A, and must travel to office B in my own car from next week. Office A rep is on long term sick, and Office B rep is doing what he can to help, but is still on holiday for another week. I believe the area rep knows about this now too and is looking into it.

Thanks for your advice it's been helpful. I'm feeling a bit disappointed in RM, as I'm not long in the door and expected a few more months of learning the job before fighting my corner!

If you have any snippets of info that could help me, or I can pass to my rep would be great.

I enjoy working in office B, just the commute when I live next to my current office is a shame as its the reason I applied.

All the best, and stay healthy :)

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 1