not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE



Only getting paid the hours you work

27 Feb 2020, 10:41

Had the big wigs in this week and this is one of the items on the agenda.
Is it even legal to not pay your contract hours (38 for FT opg's)? In the summer we may finish a tad early some days.not in my experience by the way.

Only getting paid the hours you work

27 Feb 2020, 12:03

To counter that is it legal to go home before your contracted finish time?

Only getting paid the hours you work

27 Feb 2020, 14:04

Bahia Feliz wrote:Had the big wigs in this week and this is one of the items on the agenda.
Is it even legal to not pay your contract hours (38 for FT opg's)? In the summer we may finish a tad early some days.not in my experience by the way.


Yes.

Especially if you leave work early without permission to do. In rare cases (Not usually Royal Mail) it can be a dismissable offence

Only getting paid the hours you work

27 Feb 2020, 16:40

leolion855 wrote:To counter that is it legal to go home before your contracted finish time?


It’s legal, but your manager has the right to ask you why went home before your finish time without permission. They can take action if you don’t have a reasonable answer.

Only getting paid the hours you work

27 Feb 2020, 18:20

Bahia Feliz wrote:Had the big wigs in this week and this is one of the items on the agenda.
Is it even legal to not pay your contract hours (38 for FT opg's)? In the summer we may finish a tad early some days.not in my experience by the way.

I suspect we will be found other work if coming back early.
The bigger impact will be the end of ghost overtime. We will only be paid the overtime hours we do

Only getting paid the hours you work

27 Feb 2020, 18:36

ihatedogs wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:Had the big wigs in this week and this is one of the items on the agenda.
Is it even legal to not pay your contract hours (38 for FT opg's)? In the summer we may finish a tad early some days.not in my experience by the way.

I suspect we will be found other work if coming back early.
The bigger impact will be the end of ghost overtime. We will only be paid the overtime hours we do


And unless they offer a better rate of overtime , say time and a half for things like absence overtime it will be the end of most people being willing to do any. In my office out of about 60 people only about 10 will regularly do it and most have already said they won't be doing it anymore. They better make sure they've got more reserves unless they are counting on making everyone work faster so everyone can take the stuff that they can't cover

Only getting paid the hours you work

27 Feb 2020, 18:52

I have seen the term 'ghost overtime'many times on this site. I'm still a newbie and dont know what it is. Could someone please clarify?

Only getting paid the hours you work

27 Feb 2020, 19:03

Ali831 wrote:I have seen the term 'ghost overtime'many times on this site. I'm still a newbie and dont know what it is. Could someone please clarify?


Its where you do extra work within your contracted hours but get paid overtime to do it , name your price in most circumstances.

Only getting paid the hours you work

27 Feb 2020, 22:33

Wow, that's not what I thought it was lol. Thanks Leolion

Only getting paid the hours you work

27 Feb 2020, 23:39

citypostie wrote:
ihatedogs wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:Had the big wigs in this week and this is one of the items on the agenda.
Is it even legal to not pay your contract hours (38 for FT opg's)? In the summer we may finish a tad early some days.not in my experience by the way.

I suspect we will be found other work if coming back early.
The bigger impact will be the end of ghost overtime. We will only be paid the overtime hours we do


And unless they offer a better rate of overtime , say time and a half for things like absence overtime it will be the end of most people being willing to do any. In my office out of about 60 people only about 10 will regularly do it and most have already said they won't be doing it anymore. They better make sure they've got more reserves unless they are counting on making everyone work faster so everyone can take the stuff that they can't cover

You're right about that. I've seen the drop in overtime volunteers ( myself included) in my office as the overtime pay rate is so poor. Not worth it for a couple of hours in the afternoon and certainly not worth giving up your day off for.

Only getting paid the hours you work

28 Feb 2020, 14:36

And unless they offer a better rate of overtime , say time and a half for things like absence overtime it will be the end of most people being willing to do any. In my office out of about 60 people only about 10 will regularly do it and most have already said they won't be doing it anymore. They better make sure they've got more reserves unless they are counting on making everyone work faster so everyone can take the stuff that they can't cover[/quote]
You're right about that. I've seen the drop in overtime volunteers ( myself included) in my office as the overtime pay rate is so poor. Not worth it for a couple of hours in the afternoon and certainly not worth giving up your day off for.[/quote]


Not at ours. We have several who come in early ,do extra after and always work their days off. I'm sure they would come in on a Sunday for 30 mins OT picking up elastic bands if they could.On top of that there are several who come in early and stay after prepping d2d for free.

I swear they don't have a life outside RM

Only getting paid the hours you work

28 Feb 2020, 18:50

There always will be some willing to work overtime. A lot haven’t got the luxury of being able to to turn it down due to their personal commitments.

Only getting paid the hours you work

28 Feb 2020, 20:11

Since just after Christmas our DOM has said that he will ONLY be paying OT worked after your "Official Finishing Time". I approached him with the "If you come in 40 mins early and go home 40 mins early there's no real difference" Argument ... But he wasn't having it. He said it was getting too confusing to try and work out all the different times people were claiming OT for, and he was getting everyone ready for when the clocking in system arrived. :crazy:

I'm now starting & finishing on my "Official Times"... all it means is I'm still claiming the same amount of Pressure OT (so he's NOT gaining anything) but I'm just getting home 40 mins later. :Boo hoo! I've told him when it starts to become a problem with collecting kids from school, I'll be using the Over-Running Procedure ... so all he's doing is causing himself another problem. :cuppa

Only getting paid the hours you work

29 Feb 2020, 04:39

Dorset Plodder wrote:Since just after Christmas our DOM has said that he will ONLY be paying OT worked after your "Official Finishing Time". I approached him with the "If you come in 40 mins early and go home 40 mins early there's no real difference" Argument ... But he wasn't having it. He said it was getting too confusing to try and work out all the different times people were claiming OT for, and he was getting everyone ready for when the clocking in system arrived. :crazy:

I'm now starting & finishing on my "Official Times"... all it means is I'm still claiming the same amount of Pressure OT (so he's NOT gaining anything) but I'm just getting home 40 mins later. :Boo hoo! I've told him when it starts to become a problem with collecting kids from school, I'll be using the Over-Running Procedure ... so all he's doing is causing himself another problem. :cuppa

Tell him to order some boots and a waterproof for himself these twats have no idea how the s**t will hit the fan in their own face!

Only getting paid the hours you work

29 Feb 2020, 16:41

k979aaa wrote:Tell him to order some boots and a waterproof for himself these twats have no idea how the s**t will hit the fan in their own face!


Good Idea. :thumbup I think most DOMs are unaware of exactly how much work they get for "FREE", unfortunately there's still too many Posties willing to do it. :thumbdown My bottom line is "I WILL NOT WORK FOR FREE" I'm quite happy for a bit of give & take (if it works out for Me & RM) but as soon they start going down the "Official" line I say, "Fair enough if you want to play by the rules so will I" :cuppa

Only getting paid the hours you work

29 Feb 2020, 19:44

deltaforce wrote:There always will be some willing to work overtime. A lot haven’t got the luxury of being able to to turn it down due to their personal commitments.

You are right there but even the handfull of people left willing to do overtime in our office are starting to show the strain as they are now almost pressured on a daily basis into doing it as no one else wants to know. It wont be to long before even they crack and give up doing it.

Only getting paid the hours you work

01 Mar 2020, 11:48

Marshamp11 wrote:
deltaforce wrote:There always will be some willing to work overtime. A lot haven’t got the luxury of being able to to turn it down due to their personal commitments.

You are right there but even the handfull of people left willing to do overtime in our office are starting to show the strain as they are now almost pressured on a daily basis into doing it as no one else wants to know. It wont be to long before even they crack and give up doing it.


Wouldn't be so bad if RM offered a decent rate of OT, Say Time and a Half, that would certainly help those "needing" to work for the extra money. As it is you've got to put in a lot of extra work for only the Flat Rate (Plus 50p or so :thumbdown ). I'm not surprised those that put lots of OT in are feeling the strain! :cuppa

Only getting paid the hours you work

01 Mar 2020, 16:08

deltaforce wrote:There always will be some willing to work overtime. A lot haven’t got the luxury of being able to to turn it down due to their personal commitments.


So how will they cope if we are on strike for any length of time

Only getting paid the hours you work

01 Mar 2020, 20:24

Dorset Plodder wrote:
Marshamp11 wrote:
deltaforce wrote:There always will be some willing to work overtime. A lot haven’t got the luxury of being able to to turn it down due to their personal commitments.

You are right there but even the handfull of people left willing to do overtime in our office are starting to show the strain as they are now almost pressured on a daily basis into doing it as no one else wants to know. It wont be to long before even they crack and give up doing it.


Wouldn't be so bad if RM offered a decent rate of OT, Say Time and a Half, that would certainly help those "needing" to work for the extra money. As it is you've got to put in a lot of extra work for only the Flat Rate (Plus 50p or so :thumbdown ). I'm not surprised those that put lots of OT in are feeling the strain! :cuppa
Did use to but the standard rate was crap like £4.50 x 1.45= £6.50 but it was a long time ago.

Only getting paid the hours you work

01 Mar 2020, 21:09

It's a wonder management don't have us travelling 60 miles to our MC to tidy up behind MC staff, we (delivery) staff seem to have do more of the MC work every day.
Manual sorting supposed sequence; sorting yorks of mixed tracked from ordinary parcels; cancelling stamps; turning half the sequenced letters the right way round because wally on the machine couldn't tip the tray the right way; and probably something else as well.

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 2   1, 2