not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Job and finish still allowed?

15 Feb 2020, 22:58

Job and finish still allowed?I was under the impression from union at are meeting we had the other day that job and finish was no longer happening we were told by a union rep to take our breaks and Are manager said we couldn’t finish more than about 20 to 30 minutes early every day yet all this week he has full time is finishing 1 to 2 hours early and going home how is this allowed to continue happening whilst you have part-time is staying late to do door-to-doors! Part-timers also come in early to prep round as they are worried they don’t have enough time to do it, surely the manager should be getting full timers to double prep and actually work their hours I am not a jobsworth but I generally work my hours or finish 30 to 40 minutes late and have to claim overtime, There are also part time is actually working longer than the full timers! Surely as the company is trying to save money they should not be allowed to happen, can I hear anyone confirm is this actually allowed to still happen if so why surely the business is trying to save money and how can you get full timers working less hours than part timers!There are actually two full timers now working together In shared vans back at 12 o’clock yesterday and today 1130 that’s like two hours before that supposed to finish why is the manager allowing this to happen whilst paying part time extra!but then being late it’s bizarre.

15 Feb 2020, 23:17

Job and finish has never stopped in my office but the finish is getting later year on year .

16 Feb 2020, 01:08

Job and finish ended years ago and with the Advent of PDA actuals and the COLOD scan it is even more redundant. Old habits are hard to drop though and a lot of Posties still have that mentality. In theory we could have been in a much stronger bargaining position if we had always completed the job as RM proscribed. We would have retained a lot more walks and ideas such as absorption wouldn't have been possible to implement. The temptation to take short cuts & break rules are there though and are hard to resist.

16 Feb 2020, 08:34

Welcome to the twilight zone that is RM
Full-time - but never work full time hours
Part time - but never work part time hours
Manager - but doesn't manage
Union rep - but doesn't represent anyone
Workplace Coach - but never coaches anyone

The disparity between job title and job description is glaringly obvious.
Last edited by clashcityrocker on 16 Feb 2020, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.

16 Feb 2020, 08:36

Best advice

Just focus on what YOU are doing and deliver the correct way that RM has told YOU to do, dont waste time or energy thinking about what the rest of the office are up to,or get into the full time/ part time squbbles because it doesnt affect YOU it only affects the manager.( hes paid to sort it out)
YOU have a start and finish time so stick to that and YOU will keep your job.

16 Feb 2020, 12:27

leolion855 wrote:Best advice

Just focus on what YOU are doing and deliver the correct way that RM has told YOU to do, dont waste time or energy thinking about what the rest of the office are up to,or get into the full time/ part time squbbles because it doesnt affect YOU it only affects the manager.( hes paid to sort it out)

But I believe in fairness which surely isn’t happening when he lets ft go home so early. Then part time guys are working more then some full timers and they wander why morale is so low

16 Feb 2020, 12:37

mlw wrote:

But I believe in fairness which surely isn’t happening when he lets ft go home so early. Then part time guys are working more then some full timers and they wander why morale is so low

And this is where the problem is. Are you bothered the full times were in 3 and half hrs before you arrived?
Course your not your in bed nice and warm, so why should you be bothered when they leave? The part timers arent working more than ft , there just out a different time of day. Im a part timer to and when i get in i ask what he wants me to do with my time and i go and do it, what anyone else does is up to them and the managers.

16 Feb 2020, 13:59

leolion855 wrote:
mlw wrote:

And this is where the problem is. Are you bothered the full times were in 3 and half hrs before you arrived?
Course your not your in bed nice and warm, so why should you be bothered when they leave? The part timers arent working more than ft , there just out a different time of day. Im a part timer to and when i get in i ask what he wants me to do with my time and i go and do it, what anyone else does is up to them and the managers.

Where I work part timers are in the same time as full timers and work n shared van with full timers.The part timers work about there hours with no break and full timers go home about 1 hour early for more pay doing exactly same job

16 Feb 2020, 14:02

leolion855 wrote:
mlw wrote:

In bed nice and warm lol, I’m In 30 mins after ft and work at least my hours yet full timers go home about 1 hour before me, you do the math

16 Feb 2020, 14:08

Celgar wrote:Job and finish ended years ago and with the Advent of PDA actuals and the COLOD scan it is even more redundant. Old habits are hard to drop though and a lot of Posties still have that mentality. In theory we could have been in a much stronger bargaining position if we had always completed the job as RM proscribed. We would have retained a lot more walks and ideas such as absorption wouldn't have been possible to implement. The temptation to take short cuts & break rules are there though and are hard to resist.

How has it finished? In our office guys go home early every day and they don’t start early well only part timers do, no one checks or seems bothered as it’s been like this for years and manager doesn’t care as he disappears about 11 o’clock every day anyway

16 Feb 2020, 14:15

leolion855 wrote:
mlw wrote:

This is where the problem lies, what anyone else does is up to them, I’m just doing my job, there is no sticking up for yourself from so many posties which is why we are being walked all over, full timers get such a better deal than part timers, I’ve worked with full timers who just charge around to get finished and complain that your to slow!

16 Feb 2020, 14:17

mlw wrote:
leolion855 wrote:
mlw wrote:

In bed nice and warm lol, I’m In 30 mins after ft and work at least my hours yet full timers go home about 1 hour before me, you do the math

So you start at 630am then?

16 Feb 2020, 14:27

leolion855 wrote:
mlw wrote:
leolion855 wrote:
mlw wrote:

So you start at 630am then?
why would I start at 630? My start time is 730 as my manager says and full timers start at 7 yet most days finish about 12-1 , whilst I normally finish at 2-230 and am told no overtime unless I have had my break etc he also says that size of walks doesn’t matter it’s about indoor work but fill timers do about 20 mins ips only!

16 Feb 2020, 14:30

Royal Mail say at national level they want all paid hours worked but managers at local level encourage job and finish because it keeps the staff happy and makes life easier for the manager.

The CWU say at national level they want members to do the job properly but reps at local level encourage job and finish because it keeps the members happy and makes life easier for the rep.

Everybody involved knows the emperor is bollock naked.

16 Feb 2020, 14:32

our full times start at 545/600 am and work till 130
pt 745 till 130

16 Feb 2020, 14:34

My start time is 730 as my manager says and full timers start at 7 yet most days finish about 12-1 , whilst I normally finish at 2-230

So the full-time staff only start 30 minutes earlier than you but you finish around 2 hours later than them?

Can you explain why?

16 Feb 2020, 14:42

Woody Guthrie wrote:Royal Mail say at national level they want all paid hours worked but managers at local level encourage job and finish because it keeps the staff happy and makes life easier for the manager.

The CWU say at national level they want members to do the job properly but reps at local level encourage job and finish because it keeps the members happy and makes life easier for the rep.

Everybody involved knows the emperor is bollock naked.
at our place the manager encourages job and finish! Trouble is we are in financial trouble this year and this will soon back fire for all these guys who run around and come in early,they are going to ruin the job as walks will get bigger and you will have to finish every day at least on your time which will benefit a lot of part timers hopefully, They should actually bring in clocking in and out

16 Feb 2020, 14:52

Woody Guthrie wrote:
My start time is 730 as my manager says and full timers start at 7 yet most days finish about 12-1 , whilst I normally finish at 2-230

So the full-time staff only start 30 minutes earlier than you but you finish around 2 hours later than them?

Can you explain why?

Well Dom says my time is 730 till 130, yet full timers 7-236 I believe, but it’s still job and finish as a number of them finish between 12-1 because they charge around don’t take breaks, I do job properly try neighbours and take break yet when I sign out nearly all full timers have gone home it seems strange that this is allowed to happen in this day and age when they are talking about cut backs at our place and trying not to pay protracted overtime! I have argued with Dom who just shrugs his shoulders and says that we have some fit full timers!!

16 Feb 2020, 16:11

mlw wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:

Can you explain why?

Well Dom says my time is 730 till 130, yet full timers 7-236 I believe, but it’s still job and finish as a number of them finish between 12-1 because they charge around don’t take breaks, I do job properly try neighbours and take break yet when I sign out nearly all full timers have gone home it seems strange that this is allowed to happen in this day and age when they are talking about cut backs at our place and trying not to pay protracted overtime! I have argued with Dom who just shrugs his shoulders and says that we have some fit full timers!!

Your taking your breaks, and the ft arent. Thats why they are finishing earlier, your both have the same length of walk to do.

16 Feb 2020, 16:18

leolion855 wrote:
mlw wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:

Can you explain why?

Your taking your breaks, and the ft arent. Thats why they are finishing earlier, your both have the same length of walk to do.
i take 20 minutes break,they finish about 1-130 hours quicker. Also I know that some full time walks are smaller than part time.Manager just says that’s the way it is!

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2