not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Grievence getting ignored

14 Nov 2019, 13:57

I logged a stage 1 grievence with HR weeks ago. Heard nothing for the 2 full weeks so escalated to stage 2.
Today marks 28 days and I’ve heard nothing yet again so HR have escalated again but everything I’ve read says the next state is an ‘appeals’ process; yet how can I appeal something that hasn’t been looked at yet?!

Meanwhile I applied for acas early conciliation but have just had a letter from Royal Mail saying they can’t engage in early conciliation whilst I’m in the midst of a grievence procedure... a grievence procedure that is going completely ignored!

It feels like the system is built to work against me. Is it normal for grievences to go completely unacknowledged?

14 Nov 2019, 19:46

weakerthan wrote:I logged a stage 1 grievence with HR weeks ago. Heard nothing for the 2 full weeks so escalated to stage 2.
Today marks 28 days and I’ve heard nothing yet again so HR have escalated again but everything I’ve read says the next state is an ‘appeals’ process; yet how can I appeal something that hasn’t been looked at yet?!

Meanwhile I applied for acas early conciliation but have just had a letter from Royal Mail saying they can’t engage in early conciliation whilst I’m in the midst of a grievence procedure... a grievence procedure that is going completely ignored!

It feels like the system is built to work against me. Is it normal for grievences to go completely unacknowledged?

Yes it is very normal for Royal Fail to ignore grievances, especially if they actually think your in the right, they will delay it as much as they can but the good thing is you have started the ACAS procedure as Royal Fail hope your claim will be out of time.
If you've still not heard anything then you should give ACAS a call and tell them that Royal Fail is still unwilling to process your grievance which is a breach of contract, or in this case an Omission to Act:
An` Omission to Act `is where the employer fails to do anything to remedy the situation, once the employee has lodged a written formal grievance. A failure to investigate an employee's grievance adequately and promptly can give rise to the employee making an employment tribunal. The employee has to wait 28 days after lodging a written formal grievances before making a claim to a tribunal.
The 28 day period gives the employer adequate time to look into the employee's grievance and remedy any potential breach.
Case law .W.A Goolds( Pearmak) LTD V McConnel {1995}
"The employers duty to reasonably and promptly afford an opportunity to the employee to obtain redress of any grievance they may have."

14 Nov 2019, 20:08

General Mannerheim wrote:
weakerthan wrote:I logged a stage 1 grievence with HR weeks ago. Heard nothing for the 2 full weeks so escalated to stage 2.

Yes it is very normal for Royal Fail to ignore grievances, especially if they actually think your in the right, they will delay it as much as they can but the good thing is you have started the ACAS procedure as Royal Fail hope your claim will be out of time.
If you've still not heard anything then you should give ACAS a call and tell them that Royal Fail is still unwilling to process your grievance which is a breach of contract, or in this case an Omission to Act:
An` Omission to Act `is where the employer fails to do anything to remedy the situation, once the employee has lodged a written formal grievance. A failure to investigate an employee's grievance adequately and promptly can give rise to the employee making an employment tribunal. The employee has to wait 28 days after lodging a written formal grievances before making a claim to a tribunal.
The 28 day period gives the employer adequate time to look into the employee's grievance and remedy any potential breach.
"The employers duty to reasonably and promptly afford an opportunity to the employee to obtain redress of any grievance they may have."

Thankyou. Does my grievence count as a ‘formal written grievence’ since it was all done via the PSP? And if so, since I’ve now waited 6 weeks without a response, could this form the basis of an employment tribunal when my EC certificate comes through?

15 Nov 2019, 11:04

weakerthan wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:

Thankyou. Does my grievence count as a ‘formal written grievence’ since it was all done via the PSP? And if so, since I’ve now waited 6 weeks without a response, could this form the basis of an employment tribunal when my EC certificate comes through?

Yes it's a formal written grievance as you've complied with the way the employer deals with (or in your case not :roll: )their own grievance procedure by them using the PSP system and the fact it would also be in HR system,
And yes as you've waited 6 weeks and heard nothing then yes I would start an employment tribunal claim, you never know it might make them buck up their ideas :left: , don't be surprised if the Area Manager turns up for `a chat` though. :cuppa

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1