not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

4 day week

11 Nov 2019, 12:30

Should the union be pushing for this? Companies worldwide, including Amazon, are starting to implement this as they see the benefits of a workforce that enjoys more free time, usually in the form of a three day weekend.
As a 24/7 business, and looking at longer delivery spans, more flexible collections etc we are in an ideal position to push for this and move away from the ,sometimes truly awful, work patterns we currently have.
What are RMC's thoughts on this?

4 day week

11 Nov 2019, 15:59

ihatedogs wrote:Should the union be pushing for this? Companies worldwide, including Amazon, are starting to implement this as they see the benefits of a workforce that enjoys more free time, usually in the form of a three day weekend.
As a 24/7 business, and looking at longer delivery spans, more flexible collections etc we are in an ideal position to push for this and move away from the ,sometimes truly awful, work patterns we currently have.

Given how this company thinks, 12 hour days 7 days a week would be the work pattern they would prefer.

4 day week

11 Nov 2019, 16:32

Marshamp11 wrote:
ihatedogs wrote:Should the union be pushing for this? Companies worldwide, including Amazon, are starting to implement this as they see the benefits of a workforce that enjoys more free time, usually in the form of a three day weekend.

Given how this company thinks, 12 hour days 7 days a week would be the work pattern they would prefer.

I have colleagues who work nights and earlies in the same week.

4 day week

11 Nov 2019, 18:18

In my opinion a 4 day week would be a ideal if Royal Mail got their way in the USO review next year and were to reduce letters to a Monday to Friday service. Not only would it save 20,000 jobs by keeping Floater duties, but it’d take us to the joint target of a 35 hour shorter working week with immediate effect.

4 day week

11 Nov 2019, 18:40

ihatedogs wrote:
Marshamp11 wrote:
ihatedogs wrote:What are RMC's thoughts on this?

I have colleagues who work nights and earlies in the same week.

IF WE COULD LIMIT THE GREED OF THE OVERTIME CULTURE, then there should be full-time hours for lots more workers (currently pt and willing to do more)...the union should get the culture sorted at recruitment...the promise of better terms and conditions starts in the job spec/descriptions...not the fake prospects of being the mopup muppets for the manager's/ft's/favourites' easy life and overtime/bonuses.

if union want to win over the workforce they MUST look after the future workforce terms and conditions and not just hang onto the past...future proof our pensions/ future proof our paid breaks/ future proof our holiday/leave booking systems/ future proof our unionisation...STAY SOLID AND MOVE FORWARD AS A COMPLETE WORKFORCE...EQUALITY FOR YOUNG AND OLD ALIKE...WE DO NEED TO KEEP TO THE PACT THAT 97.1% AGREE ON: kick off at the RMG/CEO's management abrogation of the four pillars and their way forward (without consultation; ignoring mediation, ignorant to the fact that they broke OUR agreement)...the fkgn cheek of it!

CHANGE SHOULD BE BENEFICIAL TO ALL NOT just PROFIT FOR SHAREHOLDERS made Off THE BACKs OF savings made from negating WORKERS PROMISED WAGES/SWW; whilst affording management pay rises and bonuses and backdated!...the fkgn cheek of it!

4 day week

11 Nov 2019, 23:08

Totally agree (work) well said!!!

4 day week

11 Nov 2019, 23:55

A lot offices do this now!!,I've been on a full time hybrid 4 day week since 2013 you get the benefits of fri/sat/mon/tue every 3rd week!! I thought rico and his gang want get rid these working patterns???

4 day week

12 Nov 2019, 07:52

Sounds good to me.

A 4 day week would be ideal as this job is knackering and 1 day off at a time isn't enough to recover. If the option was there - I'd take it. Or if they could go to a Monday - Friday working week with a 2 day weekend that would be just as ideal.

If they need to deliver on Saturdays then employ some Saturday only workers and/or offer Saturday as overtime to the 5 day a week workers.

4 day week

12 Nov 2019, 08:33

norris9 wrote:Sounds good to me.

A 4 day week would be ideal as this job is knackering and 1 day off at a time isn't enough to recover. If the option was there - I'd take it. Or if they could go to a Monday - Friday working week with a 2 day weekend that would be just as ideal.

If they need to deliver on Saturdays then employ some Saturday only workers and/or offer Saturday as overtime to the 5 day a week workers.

With a 4 day week for full timers you'd probably be looking at 9 1/2 to 10 hour work days

4 day week

12 Nov 2019, 11:12

SpacePhoenix wrote:

With a 4 day week for full timers you'd probably be looking at 9 1/2 to 10 hour work days

I think that we are talking about is the Jeremy Corbyn fantasy of 5 days pay for 4 days work needing a 25% increase in staff to get the job done.

4 day week

12 Nov 2019, 11:41

SpacePhoenix wrote:

A 38 hr 4 day week would have 50 minutes break per day, probably in the form of 2 breaks,20 mins and 30 mins. So that's a working day of 8 hrs 40m which is a working week of 34 hrs 40m.
Providing people take their breaks that sounds pretty good to me.

4 day week

12 Nov 2019, 17:19

Schiff wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

I think that we are talking about is the Jeremy Corbyn fantasy of 5 days pay for 4 days work needing a 25% increase in staff to get the job done.

8 hours 45 mins, 8 hours 5 mins after breaks. Or if you take Corbyns plan of a 32 hour working week for all, that’d be 8 hours a day or 7 hours 20 mins after breaks.

4 day week

13 Nov 2019, 21:15

SpacePhoenix wrote:

That's shorter than I did today, just on my duty!

4 day week

13 Nov 2019, 21:51

rambo1 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

It's a good idea, once we have enough workload for Sundays, it could be worked out Mon-Thr, Thr-Sun.

4 day week

13 Nov 2019, 22:08

ruorbe wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

It's a good idea, once we have enough workload for Sundays, it could be worked out Mon-Thr, Thr-Sun.

The day where the two duty sets overlap should be whatever day is the busiest

4 day week

13 Nov 2019, 22:35

SpacePhoenix wrote:
ruorbe wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

The day where the two duty sets overlap should be whatever day is the busiest

If we move to a 5 days letters, bulk DSA mail from Saturdays, which is the busiest day, will be arriving Monday. My guess is that if now is Wed/Thurs will be Thur/Frid the busiest days.

4 day week

14 Nov 2019, 21:17

Personally I would say aside from any religious reasons that people may have we should try to hold onto Sundays as a day when preferably the majority are able to have a day off and do whatever they would like with friends & family. To my mind we have already given up too much such as Saturday becoming an ordinary working day and overtime payments degraded from time & a half to almost less than ordinary payments. The labour party go on and on about protecting workers rights but much of the problems arose when they had two terms in power and left us in a s***** mess we will likely never recover from. That's not to say that the majority of the MPs in the house are not worth p****** on but the labour party are still a case in point.
Being paid five days wages to work four days is la la Land is just bonkers and anyone who thinks it is viable is unhinged. Most people are looking for or need a full time job to have enough money just to get by. As we know from this forum most new posties start on part time hours, which are not enough hours to complete the job, then RM have to offer them more hours every day to get the job done. Then we have the unions SWW leaching even more time away from us making the job even more stressful. What we need is to find a way to move back to more full time duties. The job doesn't work and isn't compatible with part time hours.

4 day week

14 Nov 2019, 21:23

ruorbe wrote:If we move to a 5 days letters, bulk DSA mail from Saturdays, which is the busiest day, will be arriving Monday. My guess is that if now is Wed/Thurs will be Thur/Frid the busiest days.

Possibly a lot mech would go manual as there probably won't be nearly as many mech trained staff in MCs on Sundays

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1