ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Meal relief advice sought
-
nidgeybatfink
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 16:10
- Gender: Male
Meal relief advice sought
I am looking for the current union advice on meal reliefs
ie times to have them halfway through a shift etc .
Just been threatened with suspension yesterday morning as I did not have permission to be late .
I work the late locker Wednesday and Saturday 3 years plus .
In that time I did not have breaks on the Wednesday and also had my break on the Saturday
before I started work . So started 1hour 20minutes after my official start time, This worked for me
as it meant I could spend a bit of extra time at home with the kids etc.
DOM aware of this also .
Gets a call this morning from manager saying I had no permission to be late come in now or we will suspend you basically.
Same manager was only saying a few week since was aware that I took me break on the Saturday before I started.
So I am going to play it by the book from now on so I will want a break reinstating on both the Wednesday and the Saturday and start at all the official times.
Am I save to assume halfway through the shift is fair to have a meal relief ?
What part of any agreement's way forward etc should I include in a letter to management stating as such .
Also best way to put in a grievance about the threatened suspension.
Sorry for the rant but any info would be more than welcome.
ie times to have them halfway through a shift etc .
Just been threatened with suspension yesterday morning as I did not have permission to be late .
I work the late locker Wednesday and Saturday 3 years plus .
In that time I did not have breaks on the Wednesday and also had my break on the Saturday
before I started work . So started 1hour 20minutes after my official start time, This worked for me
as it meant I could spend a bit of extra time at home with the kids etc.
DOM aware of this also .
Gets a call this morning from manager saying I had no permission to be late come in now or we will suspend you basically.
Same manager was only saying a few week since was aware that I took me break on the Saturday before I started.
So I am going to play it by the book from now on so I will want a break reinstating on both the Wednesday and the Saturday and start at all the official times.
Am I save to assume halfway through the shift is fair to have a meal relief ?
What part of any agreement's way forward etc should I include in a letter to management stating as such .
Also best way to put in a grievance about the threatened suspension.
Sorry for the rant but any info would be more than welcome.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Meal relief advice sought
Your meal break of 40 mins can be arranged in a way that is suitable to you and approved by management. You can take the complete 40 mins in one break or can split to a 20 +20 which seems to be the favourite with others. You can request to take the final 20 mins off at the end of the duty finishing time with management approval so that the correct signing out time is adhered to. Your breaks have to be taken by law away from your work station and having your break while sitting behind the wheel of a van is not away from your work station. For H&S reasons there where possible be toilet facilities available at your break location for hand washing etc. Your " 318" should have your break times listed and if impractical then inform manager for changes to be made. A break of 20 mins duration must be taken after 6 hours of work. Taking a break half-way through shift would be reasonable and breaks up work/rest better.nidgeybatfink wrote:I am looking for the current union advice on meal reliefs
ie times to have them halfway through a shift etc .
Just been threatened with suspension yesterday morning as I did not have permission to be late .
I work the late locker Wednesday and Saturday 3 years plus .
In that time I did not have breaks on the Wednesday and also had my break on the Saturday
before I started work . So started 1hour 20minutes after my official start time, This worked for me
as it meant I could spend a bit of extra time at home with the kids etc.
DOM aware of this also .
Gets a call this morning from manager saying I had no permission to be late come in now or we will suspend you basically.
Same manager was only saying a few week since was aware that I took me break on the Saturday before I started.
So I am going to play it by the book from now on so I will want a break reinstating on both the Wednesday and the Saturday and start at all the official times.
Am I save to assume halfway through the shift is fair to have a meal relief ?
What part of any agreement's way forward etc should I include in a letter to management stating as such .
Also best way to put in a grievance about the threatened suspension.
Sorry for the rant but any info would be more than welcome.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Meal relief advice sought
Can see lot's of posts about the 318 but the most suitable time would be equidistant between start and finish times but at the end of the day it is your break you take it when you need it!
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16692
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Meal relief advice sought
If you read the Working Time Regulations it clearly states that a manager can tell you when to take your break.k979aaa wrote:.... but at the end of the day it is your break you take it when you need it!
It isn't a matter of personal choice. (except where a medical condition such as diabetes is involved)
It should be agreed as part of the revision process.
In regards to the callers office you clearly can't just decide to take your final 20 minutes of your break at the end of the duty if the office is still supposed to be open to the public and there is no one else scheduled to cover.
The meal relief needs to be properly scheduled and cover put in place.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Meal relief advice sought
What a draconian workplace it is then but managers can do as they pleaseclashcityrocker wrote:If you read the Working Time Regulations it clearly states that a manager can tell you when to take your break.k979aaa wrote:.... but at the end of the day it is your break you take it when you need it!
It isn't a matter of personal choice. (except where a medical condition such as diabetes is involved)
It should be agreed as part of the revision process.
In regards to the callers office you clearly can't just decide to take your final 20 minutes of your break at the end of the duty if the office is still supposed to be open to the public and there is no one else scheduled to cover.
The meal relief needs to be properly scheduled and cover put in place.
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Meal relief advice sought
Can see it from a managers perspective. Your start time is your start time for a reason. If there is no one to cover you because you take your break before you start you are basically always starting later than you are needed. Middle or end would seem to be a more usual time to take it? 
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Meal relief advice sought
surely cant take it at end either as what happens if a customer comes and place is closed 20 mins early??Judgee wrote:Can see it from a managers perspective. Your start time is your start time for a reason. If there is no one to cover you because you take your break before you start you are basically always starting later than you are needed. Middle or end would seem to be a more usual time to take it?
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Meal relief advice sought
The six hour rule comes into play here you cannot start two hours early on your own whim and expect to finish two hours earlier than everybody else management love these fools and will say they have no knowledge of any wrong doing? But we all know better than that this is a war upon all our terms and conditions and the head of this war is MOYA GREENE we must ensure we protect our rights in the event of a June 8th defeat the only thing that can save us all from a life of servitude is LABOUR!Judgee wrote:Can see it from a managers perspective. Your start time is your start time for a reason. If there is no one to cover you because you take your break before you start you are basically always starting later than you are needed. Middle or end would seem to be a more usual time to take it?
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Meal relief advice sought
Should have cover by elapsed starting finish times if not the managers should do it!aiden01 wrote:surely cant take it at end either as what happens if a customer comes and place is closed 20 mins early??Judgee wrote:Can see it from a managers perspective. Your start time is your start time for a reason. If there is no one to cover you because you take your break before you start you are basically always starting later than you are needed. Middle or end would seem to be a more usual time to take it?
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Meal relief advice sought
k979aaa wrote:Should have cover by elapsed starting finish times if not the managers should do it!aiden01 wrote:surely cant take it at end either as what happens if a customer comes and place is closed 20 mins early??Judgee wrote:Can see it from a managers perspective. Your start time is your start time for a reason. If there is no one to cover you because you take your break before you start you are basically always starting later than you are needed. Middle or end would seem to be a more usual time to take it?
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Meal relief advice sought
At the end of the day they are employed and have to what their manager tells them!aiden01 wrote:
k979aaa wrote:Should have cover by elapsed starting finish times if not the managers should do it!aiden01 wrote:surely cant take it at end either as what happens if a customer comes and place is closed 20 mins early??Judgee wrote:Can see it from a managers perspective. Your start time is your start time for a reason. If there is no one to cover you because you take your break before you start you are basically always starting later than you are needed. Middle or end would seem to be a more usual time to take it?![]()
you have a start and finish time especially in callers office.. managers are paid to manage not do opg work.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Meal relief advice sought
explain please.k979aaa wrote:At the end of the day they are employed and have to what their manager tells them!aiden01 wrote:
k979aaa wrote:Should have cover by elapsed starting finish times if not the managers should do it!aiden01 wrote:surely cant take it at end either as what happens if a customer comes and place is closed 20 mins early??Judgee wrote:Can see it from a managers perspective. Your start time is your start time for a reason. If there is no one to cover you because you take your break before you start you are basically always starting later than you are needed. Middle or end would seem to be a more usual time to take it?![]()
you have a start and finish time especially in callers office.. managers are paid to manage not do opg work.
-
nidgeybatfink
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 16:10
- Gender: Male
Meal relief advice sought
Managers perspective ? been doing this three years plus , had the same bullying (allegedly ) managers why would this week be different ?aiden01 wrote:explain please.k979aaa wrote:At the end of the day they are employed and have to what their manager tells them!aiden01 wrote:
k979aaa wrote:Should have cover by elapsed starting finish times if not the managers should do it!aiden01 wrote:surely cant take it at end either as what happens if a customer comes and place is closed 20 mins early??Judgee wrote:Can see it from a managers perspective. Your start time is your start time for a reason. If there is no one to cover you because you take your break before you start you are basically always starting later than you are needed. Middle or end would seem to be a more usual time to take it?![]()
you have a start and finish time especially in callers office.. managers are paid to manage not do opg work.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Meal relief advice sought
Its not very clear but I think he means managers who are substantive are salaried employees rather than paid by the hour. So if their manager instructs them to do something that takes them beyond their normal hours, then its tough they have to do it.aiden01 wrote:explain please.k979aaa wrote:At the end of the day they are employed and have to what their manager tells them!aiden01 wrote:
k979aaa wrote:Should have cover by elapsed starting finish times if not the managers should do it!aiden01 wrote:surely cant take it at end either as what happens if a customer comes and place is closed 20 mins early??Judgee wrote:Can see it from a managers perspective. Your start time is your start time for a reason. If there is no one to cover you because you take your break before you start you are basically always starting later than you are needed. Middle or end would seem to be a more usual time to take it?![]()
you have a start and finish time especially in callers office.. managers are paid to manage not do opg work.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.