not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Gate meeting?

12 Jun 2013, 15:09

Hi all our local DO strike ballot results came through by text today, says that we have a gate meeting tomorrow AM my question is, its my day off tomorrow will i need to go in just for it? Thanks in advance

Re: Gate meeting?

12 Jun 2013, 15:29

You don't need to but it might be fun. :Very Happy

12 Jun 2013, 15:49

Ah ok thanks :) i got a little one so would have to take him along, so probably not wise lol

12 Jun 2013, 15:53

I think it is important to politicise your children at a very early age.
It will also be a wonderful tale for them to tell when they get older.

The presence of children also makes the police less baton happy.

12 Jun 2013, 15:55

The members at your D.O. will fill you in on the details when you get back to work.
They already have a fair bit of experience in the strike department.

12 Jun 2013, 18:53

Well I wouldn't subscribe to having children involved at all - remember the old saying about the sins of the father being visited on the son.

12 Jun 2013, 19:02

dvbuk55 wrote:Well I wouldn't subscribe to having children involved at all - remember the old saying about the sins of the father being visited on the son.

But Loopy is female so that doesn't count.

12 Jun 2013, 19:12

Kids at a gate meeting or a picket line are a good thing in my mind. They tend to keep things light hearted and non-confrontational, also its a good educational experience for them.

12 Jun 2013, 20:31

clashcityrocker wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:Well I wouldn't subscribe to having children involved at all - remember the old saying about the sins of the father being visited on the son.

But Loopy is female so that doesn't count.

Oh right of course it doesn't - the gender isn't important - the principle is. I have never been on a picket line when children have been present nor would I want to be.

12 Jun 2013, 21:13

Loopylau89 wrote:Ah ok thanks :) i got a little one so would have to take him along, so probably not wise lol

Take him along, then when you get home tell him "work hard at school and you won't be a postman". :nana :nana

12 Jun 2013, 21:16

A gate meeting and a picket line are 2 different things,picket lines can be fun,we've all been there ect ect
A gate meeting is something completely different,we've all been there as well... :nervous

12 Jun 2013, 21:42

Thanks all its not a strike or pickets line just a meeting to discuss the results, the reason i asked if i needed to be there is because at last weeks gate meeting there were staff there that were on days off

13 Jun 2013, 08:22

clashcityrocker wrote:I think it is important to politicise your children at a very early age.

The presence of children also makes the police less baton happy.

:Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :crazy:

13 Jun 2013, 21:52

I didnt go in for the meeting ill have a chat with my rep tomorrow! I know theres a strike planned as seen it in local media i just dont know the dates, reading some of the comments the locals arent best pleased, as you can probably tell im new to all this as only been a postie for 5 weeks, im a bit worried about what reaction im going to get tomorrow when im back out on my round, if any reaction?

13 Jun 2013, 22:27

just be honest with your customers. tell them you are trying to keep royal mail out of private investors hands. :Applause

14 Jun 2013, 15:23

Loopylau89 wrote:I didnt go in for the meeting ill have a chat with my rep tomorrow! I know theres a strike planned as seen it in local media i just dont know the dates, reading some of the comments the locals arent best pleased, as you can probably tell im new to all this as only been a postie for 5 weeks, im a bit worried about what reaction im going to get tomorrow when im back out on my round, if any reaction?

I wouldn't be worried most people won't even realise there is a strike at first and even then its my experience that most are supportive when you explain why the strike is happening. Keep an eye on stuff from the Union explaining why the strike is happening and then tell that to anyone who asks. If you are for or against the strike be honest that's all anyone can ask.

The public are a mercurial lot anyway. On one strike back in 2007 I was photographed on the picket line and it appeared in the local paper. Went on delivery next day (strike was 1 dayer) and 1 of my customers congratulated me on not striking that day, she was not best please when I pointed out the photo on the front page of the paper she was holding.

14 Jun 2013, 21:04

Had nothing to worry about! Union repsfilled me in on details and despite it being on the news. And in newspaper noone said a thing to me, also seems that the strike may occour on my day off so will not need to get involved :)

True blue your comment about the newspaper with you on it made me laugh :left: :funneh

14 Jun 2013, 21:25

Loopylau89 wrote:Had nothing to worry about! Union repsfilled me in on details and despite it being on the news. And in newspaper noone said a thing to me, also seems that the strike may occour on my day off so will not need to get involved :)

True blue your comment about the newspaper with you on it made me laugh :left: :funneh

so the Question is would you go on strike whether its your day off dr not :hmmmm

14 Jun 2013, 21:34

Loopylau89 wrote:Had nothing to worry about! Union repsfilled me in on details and despite it being on the news. And in newspaper noone said a thing to me, also seems that the strike may occour on my day off so will not need to get involved :)

"seems that the strike may occour on my day off" :Very Happy 20th and 29th ? :shock: That's Crown Post Office staff though. :crazy: :crazy:
I too heard a misleading news item on the radio today though. :shock:

15 Jun 2013, 17:08

Well i dont know because as i said before i have my little one and wont have childcare for him on that day, and hes only 15 months so wouldnt really be good to take him, he would be all over the place and very whingy lol! Our first planned strike is for july, i know it will fall on a day off i have worked it out lol

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2