not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

No London CWU cash for Labour?

21 Feb 2007, 00:16

[color=darkblue]The London divisional committee of the CWU union was expected to pass a motion this week calling for a strike ballot to oppose Royal Mail’s plans to end their final salary pension scheme and the “phantom share schemeâ€

21 Feb 2007, 19:32

So let me see if I'm understanding this correctly: the London Divisional committee wants us to strike on behalf of future employees who haven't even joined Royal Mail yet ? Closing the final salary pension scheme to new entrants is not something I am happy about, but whenever I've been for a job interview, both for other firms and when I applied for a job with Royal Mail, if the pay on offer or any of the fringe benefits such as holiday entitlement, sick pay, pension scheme etc were not acceptable to me, I have turned the job down and looked elsewhere. Are these "phantom employees" going to pay my mortgage or feed my kids if I go out on strike ? What a ridiculous motion :d'oh! Royal Mail are hell-bent on cutting the number of employees so as to cut costs. Are there going to be any new employees who could in reality be affected by the closure of the pension scheme ??? We already have people who do the same job day-in-day-out whose pension benefits will not be the same, because of the differences in the POPS and POSS schemes !!

I do think though that we should not be giving money to any political party. Especially one that has allowed competition in the UK market to start early and which has stood by and let it's own Department for Work and Pensions hand business to one of our competitors. Where is the logic of the DWP going elsewhere, depriving Royal Mail of revenue, hitting RM's profits and thus reducing the value of the 100% shareholding owned by the government !!! We give cash to a Party as incompetent as that :shock: That's like turkeys buying shares in Bernard Matthews, isn't it ?

22 Feb 2007, 00:10

It's not just London,i can't find the link where head office mentioned summin about not giving Labour any cash.

Also good second part of your post,the whole thing is such a mess :mad

BIG DAVE AND BURSLEM....

15 Mar 2007, 14:02

I think this forum and the others on here are very important as a whole picture of how RM is running and how WE the CWU as in ALL OF US SIGNED UP AND PAYING OUR £2.50 60 70 ????? (UPWARDS AND COUNTING) To know where its going??

I feel the injustices going on in RM (which are many) We need all the CWU's ££££££ AND power to use in I.T's
help posties back to work, save OUR jobs and fight these injustices WE ENDURE!!!!! 1 POINT OF CASE. BURSLEM AND BIG DAVES SACKING..............
As Big Daves Concliffe's sacking!!! We ALL should be backing by what ever means we can.. (If you have'nt seen the forum go to Burslem and Reinstate Big Dave on this web site) Find out for yourself the under hand way RM have treated this fine worker/ friend/GENTLEMAN.. In BACK BIG DAVE AND BURSLEM AND MANY OTHER GOOD CAUSES!! NOT THE LABOUR PARTY AND mr blair and his spin doctors!! When the CWU contributed at first to the Labour party it was a much different political party.. Now it is a sham acting STILL for the working classes!!! Before you all think im a Person that is Militant or i belong to a political party I DONT!! DONT WANT TO AND @ THIS TIME DONT EVER WANT TO THANK YOU!!! Its just i hate injustice and to fund such a party is to encourage such injustices as WE ENDURE!! Many feel the same!!! It is the right of every body voting to have a free ballot and vote and to have this as the law states!! So the CWU funds can stay with the people for the people that hand over there honest £££ every week/month... WHY AND WHEN DID THE CWU HEADQUARTERS ASK YOU IF YOUR ££££ WAS BEING USED IN CORRECTLY?????? oh yeh we can abstain from paying in too Labour coffers from our Union subs but then The CWU give em a hand out anyway!!!!!! Nice!! :shock:

OUT...

DONT LET THE HAND OUTS N 30 PIECES OF SILVER GRIND US DOWN...

Re: BIG DAVE AND BURSLEM....

15 Mar 2007, 20:07

L Tommo wrote:oh yeh we can abstain from paying in too Labour coffers from our Union subs but then The CWU give em a hand out anyway!!!!!! Nice!! :shock:

I completely agree. What the feck is the Union doing getting involved in any political campaining ? They should stick to using all of our subs for defending the membership against attacks on their livelihoods. It pisses me off when I see posters going up at work about political issues. For example, a couple of years ago there were two or three posters in our office saying "the CWU supports the Stop The War Coalition". Who the feck came and asked my opinion about the Iraq war and asked me for permission to use my money for political propaganda ? It's not about whether I'm FOR or AGAINST the war, it's about who the hell in the CWU has the right to spend my subs on such bullshit :mad WITHOUT MY FECKIN PERMISSION.

If you're out on strike, defending a colleague, and you've got no money coming in, it's a pisser to know your subs have been spent on posters whose only possible use is as fuel for the fires keeping you warm out on the picket line.

I know one guy in my office came out of the union at that time, and said if we ever had someone victimised (like Big Dave has been) he would help him out directly by organising a whipround and giving him a tenner from his own pocket. Sometimes I can see his point cos do the CWU really think the sums our union give to Labour will influence party policy in our favour ? Worked out well so far, hasn't it :d'oh! :d'oh! :d'oh!

18 Apr 2007, 14:28

Any activity of a political nature has to be paid for through the political fund/levy, the question is what political activities should the fund be used for. I have been a UCW/CWU member for almost 16 years and i am now political officer for CWU Eastern 5 branch. Affilation to a political party is a form of membership which reqiures payment of fees. During my 16 years I have never come across any consultation on what the political fund should be spent on. Nor has there been any widespread consultation with the mbrs that pay the political levy on continuing with affilation to the labour party? Why should the decision be limited to annual confrence. Why not have a consultation on affilating with other parties and consultation if we should affilate at all. The political levey is vital to defend our industry and those who work in it otherwise we wouldnt be able to lobby MP'S engage with political parties , goverement etc etc. Without the political levy we would be limited to dealing with the employer to progress to defend the mbrs and our industry. The levy is optional to pay and those who dont pay it, have no right to grumble about what it is spent on. However if the CWU national officers are worrying about colombia and the war in Iraq then they are not devoting as much time as they could on issues that affect the membership which after all is their job,anything elese should be a hobby! I dont want my political levy going on trips abroad unless the levy is used to fund a national officer exclusivley to deal with non employer/industrial political issues. That i would consider if it was a seprate part of the levy.

The political levy needs to be divided into 3 voluntary parts

Part 1 Labour partyaffilation fees

Part 2 political activity needed to progress industrial issues/issues that affect CWU members at work such as changing the clocks health and safety law changes etc etc

Part 3 Any other political activity such as helping trade unions in Iraq and Colombia.

Sorry to ramble

I hear ya BIG DAZ

18 Apr 2007, 15:40

BUT..... I think when WE THE CWU Mmbrs never get asked if the £££'s are used well or a point to make £££'s used in certain areas. Then and i do understand the political avenue WE/CWU go down to lobby.. But Again HQ has back doored the payments in my book... And when we deal with a party that know one knows which way they turn, Even themselves. Then I personally dont want them pushing OUR/CWU Case thank you very much....

ALL ABOARD THE AL JOHNSON STEPPING STONES TO A MP....

Q: We have to in this day and age have contact to EMP'S EUROPEAN LAW. Ect... So does this mean the Labour MP'S on our so called behalf need more ££££ from the coffers of the CWU to grease there palms now???? :shock: ????

OUT...

DONT GIVE YA ££££ TO A PARTY !!! END OF!!! :so there

18 Apr 2007, 18:56

Big Daz wrote:The political levy is vital to defend our industry and those who work in it otherwise we wouldnt be able to lobby MP'S engage with political parties , goverement etc etc. Without the political levy we would be limited to dealing with the employer to progress to defend the mbrs and our industry. The levy is optional to pay and those who dont pay it, have no right to grumble about what it is spent on. However if the CWU national officers are worrying about colombia and the war in Iraq then they are not devoting as much time as they could on issues that affect the membership which after all is their job,anything elese should be a hobby! I dont want my political levy going on trips abroad unless the levy is used to fund a national officer exclusivley to deal with non employer/industrial political issues. That i would consider if it was a seprate part of the levy.

The political levy needs to be divided into 3 voluntary parts

Part 1 Labour partyaffilation fees

Part 2 political activity needed to progress industrial issues/issues that affect CWU members at work such as changing the clocks health and safety law changes etc etc

Part 3 Any other political activity such as helping trade unions in Iraq and Colombia.

Sorry to ramble

Well, if money has been used to lobby MP's and engage with political parties in an attempt to defend our industry, I would say we have had very poor value-for-money lobbying the Labour Party. The CWU could justify the unswerving loyalty to Labour if the lobbying you speak of had resulted in a somewhat toothless regulator (Postcomm), or a fairer playing-field, or postponement of full competition until other european markets were fully liberalised. But no, none of the money spent so far has achieved any of these things. And there's no point lobbying or being affiliated to the Tories. If they ever get re-elected, they'll almost certainly make no change to current government policy regarding Royal Mail. In fact, they'll probably end up privatising it. As for the LibDems, it doesn't matter how supportive of the CWU's views they are. The fact is, they are extremely unlikely to ever be in Government.

If the political levy were to be split into 3 optional parts, I for one would only ever see merit in paying Part 2 of your proposed split.

18 Apr 2007, 19:45

You must remember that the labour party is extremely supportive of the CWU with regards to Royal Mail. Its the goverment that are not. Take Geraldine Smith a former counter clerk/CWU rep with post office has posted a excellent EDM on behalf of CWU on the topic of competion in the postal market.

Ther have been a lot of EDM's from CWU backed MP'S which have attracted a lot of support.

Put it like this if there was a vote in parliment on competion in postal market and ownership of royal mail the goverment would see the biggest rebellion ever by labour MP'S.

The goverments policy is isolated. I feel we see what happens post blair see what policies go in place at the next GE manifesto and then have a vote on continued affilation.
We have got to give the post blair goverment a chance to put things right.

But if those within the labour party that form the goverment or who form the shadow cabinet when not in power dont take onboard our view point and ignore the rest of the labour party then what is the point of affilation as it wont acheive anything!

As for the lib dems they want to sell off 50% of royal mail craete a employye share scheme as well separate post office from Royal Mail group and put the sale proceeds into post office counters. That policy came in last year after ming the merciless persuased his party to vote for it.

Right!!!!!

18 Apr 2007, 21:54

f**k THE LABOUR PARTY!!!! There ive jumped off the fence!!!!!! f**k EM!! AS HERTS HOG SAID!!!! WE AVE HAD A POOR SHOW FOR THE £££££££££'S WE/CWU HAVE PLIDE IN2 THERE MUCKY MITS OVER THE YEARS!!!! I FOR ONE WOULD ONLY PUT MY DOSH IN 2 YOUR SEC, 2 OF THE 3 STAGE OPT OUT ..... PLEASE DONT TELL US THAT THE LABOUR IN POWER ARE THE SAME BUNCH THAT DEFEATED THE TORY MOB??? BULLSHIT IF U ARE BIG DAZ.... ? :neutral: THEY CHANGE THERE OPINIONS SO MUCH NO f****r KNOWS WHICH WAY IS UP ANY MORE WITH THAT f***ing LOT!!!

Lets look forward to another dirty f****r joining the screw ranks soon!!! Could be with the news today!!! david gooner dein Another crozier-esq F.A. muppet fuckwit!!! I wouldnt be surprised 1 f***ing bit!!! Add a MASSIVE BONUS BEFORE THE MUG DOES A f***ing STROKE!!!!!

OUT

DONT LET THE DIRTY DIRTY BASTARDS GRIND YA DOWN!!!!

ps im steaming mad!!! :evil/mad :so there :evil/mad

Re: Right!!!!!

19 Apr 2007, 00:21

L Tommo wrote:f**k THE LABOUR PARTY!!!! There ive jumped off the fence!!!!!! f**k EM!! AS HERTS HOG SAID!!!! WE AVE HAD A POOR SHOW FOR THE £££££££££'S WE/CWU HAVE PLIDE IN2 THERE MUCKY MITS OVER THE YEARS!!!! I FOR ONE WOULD ONLY PUT MY DOSH IN 2 YOUR SEC, 2 OF THE 3 STAGE OPT OUT ..... PLEASE DONT TELL US THAT THE LABOUR IN POWER ARE THE SAME BUNCH THAT DEFEATED THE TORY MOB??? BULLSHIT IF U ARE BIG DAZ.... ? :neutral: THEY CHANGE THERE OPINIONS SO MUCH NO f****r KNOWS WHICH WAY IS UP ANY MORE WITH THAT f***ing LOT!!!

Lets look forward to another dirty f****r joining the screw ranks soon!!! Could be with the news today!!! david gooner dein Another crozier-esq F.A. muppet fuckwit!!! I wouldnt be surprised 1 f***ing bit!!! Add a MASSIVE BONUS BEFORE THE MUG DOES A f***ing STROKE!!!!!

OUT

DONT LET THE DIRTY DIRTY BASTARDS GRIND YA DOWN!!!!

ps im steaming mad!!! :evil/mad :so there :evil/mad
:oops: :oops: L TOMMO It looks as though you seem to think that Big Daz is a Labour supporter. Now we know that after 10 years of Labour rule, no-one in their right minds would support the Labour Party you are obviously misjudgeing afore said new member.

DON'T LET THE CHUFFIN' PRIME MINISTERS QUESTION TIME GRIND YOU DOWN

19 Apr 2007, 04:47

The simple answer is there are those in the trade union movement who belive in fighting to make the labour party, the party it was set up to be rather than giving up and walking into the sunset. A noble aim wouldnt you agree? The question is whether it is a worthwile aim?The labour party is a broad church (history tells us this through the vast array of organasations that came together to set up the labour party). Our union when it was the postmans federation back in 1900 was one of the founding members and to this day have kept the link with the labour party. The call/vote for disaffilation grows stronger and bigger each year at CWU annual confrence.

And yes i am a member of the labour party as once upon a time it was in the rule book that to be a political officer for a CWU branch you had to be a mbr of the labour party.That has been scrapped now i belive. So i am waiting a little longer to see how things go, then make a decision on wheter there is any point in carrying on with the membership. At local level i have influence, but at national level does the CWU enjoy that level of influence. That is the problem little influence over govermnet but plenty on the labour party at grassroots level.

I never judge.. Just condem LOL!!!

19 Apr 2007, 10:23

John my old china. I didnt care if Big Daz was a Labourite or BNP or Con or ANY party.. I just read what he posted... Some agree and some ,, Well,, not so much!!! :shock: ..

Big Daz, I can only commend u on your upstanding of ur beliefs :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause I mean this.. Even if i dont agree i :Applause U Fella.... The Labour Party of My Grandads age was a party that as you said quite rightly grounded From the Trade Unions.. For the people!!!!! Workers rights. I have been dragged up with this belief all my life and simpathise wholeheartedly.. But as U say NOW there is a problem... The Gov.. Establishment call it what u will... Aint listening to OUR/CWU £££££'s dropping in there coffers as its just something THEY just treat as the norm!! And take US for granted...

When there is still the money flow from source and WE are that source The Local, Grassroots Labour party will tow the party line, With a Non rock the boat bigger attitude, Some say fair enough for the greater good, some as u put at CWU confrence grow more and unhappy and want satisfaction for the bond and good that the alliance HAD brought to the working classes.. HAD as its my true belief that NOW we pay for a dis-service....

I would rather be told "IM f****d" than be lied to... At least i know where i stand then..

Lets move on from the great war years, Its all well and good backing a losing horse but dont chuck ya house on it as well.... Espech when u dont own the housekeys as WE should do... We are all living tennents of the CWU and WE should all pay the rent... But i want and many else do,, Want a ROOF when it pisses down like it is now... A CWU ROOF, WALLS AND FLOOR... THE LOT.. We on the floor are attacked day after day and NOT 1 TOP BOD CAME DOWN TO MY OFFICE WHEN WE HAD GRIEF. And many many others i bet????

Burslem is still a shinning light of how a Membership should act in time of trouble... SHAME THE CWU HQ DONT JUMP TO BACK THEM QUICKER!!!

OUT...

DONT LET THE BASTARDS GRIND US DOWN...

19 Apr 2007, 20:25

Big Daz wrote:You must remember that the labour party is extremely supportive of the CWU with regards to Royal Mail. Its the goverment that are not ....

and...

Put it like this if there was a vote in parliment on competion in postal market and ownership of royal mail the goverment would see the biggest rebellion ever by labour MP'S ...

ERRR... Let me read that again, because I must be missing something. Last time I looked, we had a Labour, YES, LABOUR government. If the grass roots labour membership are supportive of the CWU, why are they putting forward candidates at the parliamentary elections whose views are not supportive of our aims, then ? We as individuals do not shape goverment policy. Only Labour MPs can do that. So what you are really implying is that those MP's who would 'rebel' in an anonymous vote in the house of commons are too afraid to put the views of their electorate directly to any of their colleagues in the cabinet, and force a change of policy, in case it damages their personal career prospects ? I suspect that politicians of all colours these days are afraid to stand up for what they believe is right, and defend their position to the hilt. They seem to care more about the views of 'focus groups' and the politically-correct brigade than those of you and me, and abandon their own personal principles whenever convenient !

Whether you agreed with his views or not - and a lot of the time I didn't - where are the principled politicians like Tony Benn in the year 2007 ? Brown, Blair, Miliband, Charles Clarke :crazy: Cameron :roll: ? I wouldn't vote for any of them. I'm joining the party that has already has a huge chunk of the electorate on their side. The percentage that don't bother to vote.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter who we vote for. The government always gets in :wink:

19 Apr 2007, 21:23

:oops: :oops: 'ere' 'ere' 'rubarb' 'rubarb' :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo!

20 Apr 2007, 04:49

HH will counteract your views in due course

HERTS HOG.. THUMBS UP!!

26 Apr 2007, 11:01

I agree mate, the backsliding, no good, PC Loving, tree hugging, personal career watching, focus group licking, non principled, no moraled,

NON SUPPORTIVE OF THE CWU. BASTARDS!!!

Apart from that, "wot have the romans ever done for us?"

OUT

DONT LET THE GOVERNMENT GRIND US DOWN, AND PULL THE WOOL OVER OUR EYES!!! :no no :no no :no no

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1