not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Just how much can they sort by machine

22 Jun 2007, 15:19

The big question to me is how much mail can they sort through machines..imps etc.
A lot of dsa mail comes in and then goes through the machines.
What can they get through as a % of the total volume of mail, and how many managers can run the machines.
The strongest link for us is the delivery postman, no matter how many managers they have they won't be able to deliver it all!
I just hope that the new tech won't be able to walk sort the lot into walk order...when that time comes they can drop it into a pouch and give it to any one!
Good news is that it takes time to vet casual workers and lots of casual workers don't seem that interested in Royal mails 'low pay' and starting times!

22 Jun 2007, 15:22

I Honestly can see how they do it in walk order as on my walk if I have a letter for a certain address and not for another I do the walk differently, will the machines be able to cope with this local knowledge.

22 Jun 2007, 15:24

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I Honestly can see how they do it in walk order as on my walk if I have a letter for a certain address and not for another I do the walk differently, will the machines be able to cope with this local knowledge.

I hope not!

22 Jun 2007, 15:26

They can't even get the mech to arrive all facing the right way up. :wink:

22 Jun 2007, 15:28

IWW Fellow Worker wrote:They can't even get the mech to arrive all facing the right way up. :wink:

Yeah I'm getting sick of playing shuffle the bundle when that happens.

22 Jun 2007, 15:44

The big question for me is, how much mail will be sorted in years to come when these machines break down and nobody knows the walk sorting anymore, because its been done by machine, and we only do one walk, answer f**k all...
UNITY IS STRENGTH.

22 Jun 2007, 16:03

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I Honestly can see how they do it in walk order as on my walk if I have a letter for a certain address and not for another I do the walk differently, will the machines be able to cope with this local knowledge.

The sequencing machines sort the mail into walk order according to the frame.

To sort 5000 letters into 10 to 12 deliveries giving each delivery about 1 tray of mail takes about 40 minutes.This saves each experienced delivery officer about 10 minutes a day.
The only way they would really be any use is if entire deliveries could be sequenced in one go,then it could be thrown in and delivered by any old numpty.
Because delivery offices are dependent on mail being coded by mail centres,many miles away this would probably never happen.The maximum size batch they can cope with is about 7000.

Not really the all singing all dancing piece of kit they were made out to be and Laurel & Hardy are buying 500 more.

22 Jun 2007, 16:30

johno47 wrote:The big question for me is, how much mail will be sorted in years to come when these machines break down and nobody knows the walk sorting anymore, because its been done by machine, and we only do one walk, answer f**k all...
UNITY IS STRENGTH.

Dont know if anyone remembers a few years ago & i dont know if its true or not
A couple of the imps had a computer virus, it took 2 days to sort it out, however the backlog was 5 days due to most of the staff not knowing the primary sorting & lack of sorting frames

22 Jun 2007, 16:31

Also the current machinery can't deal with a split postcode.

i.e. when the same postcode exists on two different deliveries, it's missorts galore.

22 Jun 2007, 17:23

tasam wrote:Also the current machinery can't deal with a split postcode.

i.e. when the same postcode exists on two different deliveries, it's missorts galore.

As long as the long code is printed on envelopes by the mail centre machines they end up sequenced and in the correct deliveries.

machines

22 Jun 2007, 17:52

i am not an expert in rm machinery,
when someone said about an imp once, i thought yeah one of them little f******s in it
like a piskie!!
but i have been told they can only do 7 rounds an hour.

mecs bad enough, this sequencing is going to be real s***t and when they go down
stuff em. :so there :so there

Ive worked an LSM..

22 Jun 2007, 18:18

My last duty b4 i went long term sick was On the LSM.. Ive also come from a delivery background for 5 years. So when i went on the LSM's i wanted to know as tasam said Why the mech cant spot a split code. Well the MTT codes it For the LSM to read it and I was told like most who ask.. We cant change the split in the postcode now like it was impossible>.. I still didnt know why tho as RM SCREWS dont tell anything u actully need to know or ask!! Just "WE CANT AND AINT.." I too had hundreds of firms mail in my bundles when on my old walk.. I asked at first.. NO ANSWER.. then moaned... NOTHING... Then came the day the screws wanted to know why i was late out?? (LOADS OF WORK AND MISSORTS) I plonked at least 300 letters on his deskand told him to sort them up.. He went white n told me he was going to doo me for willfull delay.. Union rep steps in and i said I asked many a time WHY did i have so many missorts in my bundles and why aint RM doing anything about it??? A blank look came back and i was told i was being distruptive and he was going to doo me... I asked to be walked prepped as to doo me there has to be a fact finding mission... And if i had any problems.. Which i did.. IE missorts... Got walk teasted ans low n behold i was ok with my prep and the walking was another story.. A fecking farce.... RM STUPIDITY AGAIN...

Ends up with me getting time off the ips to chuck off my coded bundles.. So I KNOW THE BOYS N GIRLS MOANED BUT IT GOES TO SHOW, YOU HAVE TO STAND UP!!! Then all the moaners done the same . If they had split codes.. The office was a nightmare... hahahahahah i left shortly after that to a MC.. My boss told me he was glad and i had no right of appeal to return if i didnt like it there..... I asked to go for fecks sake!!!! hahahahahahahah!! good fecking riddance!!!! I still dont know wot or how to split the codes but every time i still ask i get the same blank look of "WE CANT AND WE AINT." HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! w*****s!! I THINK ITS THE SCREW MANTRA!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

22 Jun 2007, 18:19

Moved to Ballot Forum.

22 Jun 2007, 19:26

as anyone had there worktime listen n learn video yet about the changes and how great the mech is and new bright red uniform.. where do they get the postmen/women from to star in these films.

22 Jun 2007, 20:06

grumpy wrote:as anyone had there worktime listen n learn video yet about the changes and how great the mech is and new bright red uniform.. where do they get the postmen/women from to star in these films.

I was going to be in it but i kept throwing up :crazy:

the local park minus the white lightning

manwithnovan wrote:
grumpy wrote:as anyone had there worktime listen n learn video yet about the changes and how great the mech is and new bright red uniform.. where do they get the postmen/women from to star in these films.

Explain :shock:

22 Jun 2007, 20:11

POSTMAN wrote:
manwithnovan wrote:

Explain :shock:

The smell of bullshit :Very Happy

grumpy

23 Jun 2007, 21:34

same place they get them cheesy faced b*****s in the courier.

you know the ones that love our beloved company.

23 Jun 2007, 23:24

jeepers, dont know about you lot but half the time in our office the postcodes wrong or not even put on the envelope, hows these machines going to fix that, missorts are wrongly postcoded most of the time as well, or have no postcode at all, more of our money down the drain :sad:

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2