not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

CWU v RM - with ACAS

19 Jun 2007, 21:49

Well I think it is time that we and more importantly the whole of the UK. including those in the Ivory Towers, looked at the why and how ACAS is here right now. This is for you, me, all our workmates, the Public, and the future for all of us - that includes EVERYONE in the UK! This is from the ACAS wbsite:

Acas story begins over a hundred years ago when the government set up a voluntary conciliation and arbitration service in 1896. Apart from a name change or two, to the Industrial Relations Service in 1960 and the Conciliation and Advisory Service in 1972 the basic service was much the same and remained firmly under the government's wing.

Then in 1974 the modern organisation was born. Renamed the Conciliation and Arbitration Service it was moved away from government and set up with an independent council to direct it. 'Advisory' was added to the name in 1975 to reflect the full range of services on offer. Finally in 1976 the new organisation was put on a statutory footing.

During the turbulent days of industrial unrest from the late 1970s to the mid 1980s Acas became a household name. Acas meant high-profile delegations coming and going, in the full glare of the media, for talks behind closed doors and the inevitable beer and sandwiches. During the miners' strike of 1984, for example, the National Coal Board and the National Union of Miners were regular visitors for over a year. In the same year Acas was involved in the Battle of Wapping when Rupert Murdoch dramatically changed working practices in the newspaper printing industry. 24/7 is not a new concept for Acas.

Acas still helps solve high profile labour disputes such as the London tube strikes. But the employment world has changed and people have more rights in the workplace. Since the early 1990s much of our work has focused on individual complaints to employment tribunals. These are passed to Acas and at present 75% are settled or withdrawn at the Acas stage so never reach a tribunal hearing. Another growth area is in solving employment issues before they become problems at all.

Our message is 'prevention is better than cure' and is becoming an increasingly important part of our work. We give advice and guidance to 800,000 callers a year via our telephone helplines, promote good practice at the training sessions we run each year, last year we provided training to 35,000 delegates. We also work in individual companies with employer/ employee/ trade union groups in partnership to find lasting solutions in their workplace.

Key milestones:

1896 - a voluntary conciliation and arbitration service launched by the government. This also gave free advice to employers and unions on industrial relations and personnel problems.

1960 - the service became known as the Industrial Relations Service.

1972 - the service became known as the Conciliation and Advisory Service.

1974 - the Conciliation and Arbitration Service set up as an independent service directed by an independent council.

1975 - renamed the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service.

1976 - January 1976 Acas became a statutory body under the terms of the Employment Protection Act 1975.
Guys, sounds impressive to me.

Hope it is taken on board by your bosses and mine.

Mssrs Leighton & Crosier - God I hope you see this

19 Jun 2007, 21:57

They may see it codebreaker , but I doubt very much they'll understand it's concept. :lfo :cfo

19 Jun 2007, 22:37

The thing is ACAS can't take sides,if they do they're finished,they've dealt with bigger fish than tweedle dum and dee anyway.

19 Jun 2007, 22:44

ImageAs soon as Leighton uttered 'ACAS' instead of 'If you vote for strike, you will have to strike' he was backing off. Stay strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-----------kwakImage

20 Jun 2007, 13:18

POSTMAN wrote:The thing is ACAS can't take sides,if they do they're finished,they've dealt with bigger fish than tweedle dum and dee anyway.

Correction Tweedle DUM & Tweedle DUMMER!!!!
I rest my case thank you.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1