not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

ACCIDENT REPORTING

14 Jun 2007, 19:16

I was wondering if Royal Mail Managers in other areas are really filling out Accident Reports.

The reason I am asking this is to make it clear to all posties that they could be missing out on compensation which the
CWU Legal Medical Service can obtain in most cases that are reported.

Try to stick to your bag weigh limits record your bag weights.(Evidence for visiting Environmental Health Officers)
If Management are not providing pouch boxes or bag drops trollies, then they are breaking the Manual Handling Regulations 1992

Be careful if you take out overweight bags then you could also be breaking the above regulations,this would weaken any compensation claims against Royal Mail

So if you have a accident at work report it to your line Manager make sure he fills out a accident report.
You are also entitled to a copy.

If he fails to do the above contact your local CWU Representative

It is strongly recommended that you should contact your Area Safety Representative as he should also receive a copy
but this does not always happen!

Look after your selfs posties :wave

14 Jun 2007, 22:08

Our screws are more slippery than KY covered eels, their latest ploy seems to be to invent an incident book as well as an accident book. Just how this affects us I'm not yet sure but it's gotta be some sort of getout from an accident compensation claim I'm sure.

14 Jun 2007, 22:46

billypants wrote:Our screws are more slippery than KY covered eels, their latest ploy seems to be to invent an incident book as well as an accident book. Just how this affects us I'm not yet sure but it's gotta be some sort of getout from an accident compensation claim I'm sure.

I've seen it once yonks ago at my old DO.
One lad had blisters from RM shoes and wanted it as an AOD,but the dom made him put it in an incident book instead.
I've never had it tried on me though,bollox to that,if it's an AOD it's an AOD.
No doubt they will try and scam people though with it.

15 Jun 2007, 11:28

Not sure I understand here?

Should there be an actual physical book that the comments are written in? I ask because when I reported a minor fall from my bike (on the way to the office) the screw typed all of the details into the computer - took about 15 minutes in all. Is this the proper procedure?

15 Jun 2007, 13:28

The correct new way of accident reporting is called ERICA, this is done over the intranet by your Line Manager,but he still should print out a copy for you and the area safety representative. :wave

There is also a ERICA folder which all SPDOs should have in place.

15 Jun 2007, 13:48

Under the Health and Safety at Work Act any reported accident (even if your boss doesn't think it's genuine) MUST go into the accident book. if your boss refuses, report him/her to the Health and Saftety Executive (HSE).

I am an ex-employee ( of 29 years) who is now a qualified accident investigator and a member of the Association of Personal Injury Investigators (APII) so I believe that I speak with some authority on this subject. I've heard this 'incident not accident' nonsense before :mad . Unless your boss has recognised Health and Safety qualifications (unlikely) what qualifies him/her to decide that you haven't had an accident?

Additionally, anything entered into an 'incident' book/computer file must be made available to you if you request it (which I suggest you do) as a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act.

15 Jun 2007, 14:18

Nice one cappa.

15 Jun 2007, 16:22

de nada

16 Jun 2007, 16:13

not sure about the new version but with the accident book you got one copy, the manager sent off one copy, and your union rep was supposed to get a copy then the computer version was done after the accident book had been filled out,get all injuries into the accident book because you have no idea how these things can affect you in a couple of years time and make sure you have issue footwear on when you report the accident and that your bag weights have been recorded for that day and insure that what you tell your boss actually appears as you say it in print because managers have a habit of trying to make sure things get worded to make things look like your fault ie no compo

18 Jun 2007, 16:56

cappamore wrote:Under the Health and Safety at Work Act any reported accident (even if your boss doesn't think it's genuine) MUST go into the accident book. if your boss refuses, report him/her to the Health and Saftety Executive (HSE).

I am an ex-employee ( of 29 years) who is now a qualified accident investigator and a member of the Association of Personal Injury Investigators (APII) so I believe that I speak with some authority on this subject. I've heard this 'incident not accident' nonsense before :mad . Unless your boss has recognised Health and Safety qualifications (unlikely) what qualifies him/her to decide that you haven't had an accident?

Additionally, anything entered into an 'incident' book/computer file must be made available to you if you request it (which I suggest you do) as a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act.
It is nonsense , RM are being monitored by the HSE, it's the Del Boy school of redefining accidents, also if you had a accident with non royal mail footwear which to a reasonable person had adequate grip, support etc , what would a no win no fee solictor think?, leather is leather, if do your self damage it's a injury. It just seems to be no coincidence Simpson & Miller won £30 million in claims in 2003, then RM wish to move the goalposts & break the compensation culture.That 30million could pay all those bonuses for the managerial food chain.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1