not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

picket line

08 Jun 2007, 18:47

does anyone know anything about picketing?i know we cant shout abuse and intimidate but how many picketers are allowed on the line ?

08 Jun 2007, 19:07

isnt it 2 or 3? not many i know that

08 Jun 2007, 19:17

Must be a recent thing,but my father(who has sadly passed away)was a staunce union man,(a printer)he was a member of the N.G.A and was
for a time, the father of the chapel.
anyway my point being,he took me to one of the strikes in the 80s (day off school :nana )and there were hundreds on the picket line!

08 Jun 2007, 19:35

The Tories/New Labour (spot the difference)changed all that. The most allowed is six. Anymore than that can be constituded as starting a riot...TOTAL BOLLOX.

08 Jun 2007, 20:02

It is six pickets, but it doesn't say how many spectators can turn up. I gather you're not allowed to shout 'SCAB' at the strike breakers in case the strike breakers take offence at being called strike breakers. You would think they would be proud to be called what they are, but apparently not.

08 Jun 2007, 20:05

Who is going to stop us calling people what they are.
A SCAB IS A SCAB AND SHOULD ROT IN HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Pickett LINE

08 Jun 2007, 20:13

Well we have been told by our union rep we cannot shout abusive or threatening language at anyone wishing to cross a picketttt line. Why they should want to cross a pickett line beats me. Also ant form of imtimidation could lead to conduct procedings with a view to dissmisal.At our office the big boss has lety it be known that they would rather you stay at home rather then man a pickett line. Me Icannot wait to stand there and show them that I am proud to be in our UNION :nana :nana :nana :Applause :Applause :Applause

08 Jun 2007, 20:18

IT'S JUST AS WELL WHEN PEOPLE LIKE THE TOLPUDDLE MARTYRS WERE FORMING UNIONS THEY DIDN'T TELL THEM THAT THEY MIGHT GET INTO A SPOT OF BOTHER OVER IT OR ELSE WE WOULD ALL STILL BE RUNNING ABOUT WITH NO SHOES GETTING PAID £1.50 AN HOUR AND SENDING OUR CHILDREN UP TO CLEAN OUT CHIMNEYS....OOOH TO HAVE THE ATTITUDE OF THE FRENCH WHEN IT COMES TO INDUSTRIAL FIGHTS.

08 Jun 2007, 20:23

johnston65 wrote:IT'S JUST AS WELL WHEN PEOPLE LIKE THE TOLPUDDLE MARTYRS WERE FORMING UNIONS THEY DIDN'T TELL THEM THAT THEY MIGHT GET INTO A SPOT OF BOTHER OVER IT OR ELSE WE WOULD ALL STILL BE RUNNING ABOUT WITH NO SHOES GETTING PAID £1.50 AN HOUR AND SENDING OUR CHILDREN UP TO CLEAN OUT CHIMNEYS....OOOH TO HAVE THE ATTITUDE OF THE FRENCH WHEN IT COMES TO INDUSTRIAL FIGHTS.

Or the attitude of the CNT/FAI or the POUM during the Spanish Revolution.

08 Jun 2007, 20:27

We should always look to our working class history and learn from it.

08 Jun 2007, 20:33

Any one know of any reason or law preventing us from filming on the picket line.

08 Jun 2007, 20:36

Don't know of any law preventing us filming but I know that when we have walkouts in the MC the managers turn the cameras that watch the car park onto the picket lines.

08 Jun 2007, 20:39

There's no law as such, but have you seen some of my workmates ? You really want our ugly mugs on film ??

08 Jun 2007, 20:39

Don't know of any law preventing us filming but I know that when we have walkouts in the MC the managers turn the cameras that watch the car park onto the picket lines.

08 Jun 2007, 20:55

The point about only having 6 pickets on picket duty is not law its a goverment recomendation, you might get one know all copper trying to tell you this, but generally, if your behaved they dont tend to enforce this, they can count 20 people or more as being a mob and can try to break it up but again it comes down to any trouble, we had one inspector who came with a couple of riot vans to Burslem, who was trying to enforce that 6 people recomendation and he told us it was law, but as i say it isnt, and this was after the first night of strike at Burslem where things got a bit lively.
Also im sure they cant stop you filming, we had riot police filming us the I.B turned up and filmed us, even television, so i dont see why not, play them at there own game laugh and jeer them as they go in, look as though your having a good time, the lads and lasses at our place are brilliant at it, we had streamers, balloons and a party atmosphere and it pissed them off no end, if we have to do it enjoy it, it will be summer get the barby out get a bit of music on, and as Tommo says DONT LET THE B***ARDS GET YOU DOWN.......UNITY IS STRENGTH.

08 Jun 2007, 22:27

Sorry,good thread and informative as they are all on here,but this is sooo funny.

:funneh
IWW Fellow Worker wrote:I gather you're not allowed to shout 'SCAB' at the strike breakers in case the strike breakers take offence at being called strike breakers. You would think they would be proud to be called what they are, but apparently not.

09 Jun 2007, 21:00

I just love the idea of a party atmos on the picket line, get as many people as you can on it, bring some music, balloons, streamers, crisps and fizzy drink (no alcohol :wink: ), and just live it up.

Can't think of a better way to upset our screws, as they go past with all our jobs on their backs as they seem to think they can cover them. :funneh

09 Jun 2007, 22:49

billypants wrote:Can't think of a better way to upset our screws, as they go past with all our jobs on their backs as they seem to think they can cover them. :funneh

I'd cover them. About 6 foot of soil would do the job quite nicely

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1