not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

So what will a strike actually do?

07 Jun 2007, 19:41

Do people see RM backing down and relaxing their deal or what? What length of strike do you think will make them take this course of action? A few one days strikes I dont think will be the answer, but what does everyone reckon?

07 Jun 2007, 19:48

Personally , I'd go for the Sat / Mon strike days , a strictly observed work to rule for the rest of the week option.

I don't think the dispute would last long, and it's the screws who'd cave in. :cool

07 Jun 2007, 19:53

DirtyHarry wrote:
I don't think the dispute would last long, and it's the screws who'd cave in. :cool

Hmm i dunno man, i think thats mighty optimistic view, ive voted yes and will take the 1st day strike and a few follow ups to see whats happening , i have a feeling that RM aint backing down tho, anyone else feeling this? Dont think its gonna be as rosy as you think mate :Confused

07 Jun 2007, 19:59

My grandad once told me that strikes are like wars, easy to start but very difficult to end. He was out for 3 months

07 Jun 2007, 20:01

Dreamcatcher wrote:My grandad once told me that strikes are like wars, easy to start but very difficult to end. He was out for 3 months

So are you prepared for 3 months? Just trying to get the vibe here

07 Jun 2007, 20:05

madsorter wrote:
DirtyHarry wrote:

Hmm i dunno man, i think thats mighty optimistic view, ive voted yes and will take the 1st day strike and a few follow ups to see whats happening , i have a feeling that RM aint backing down tho, anyone else feeling this? Dont think its gonna be as rosy as you think mate :Confused

What ? ............ No Mail going anywhere on a Saturday , and a Monday , with a work-to-rule the other days of the week , meaning
work to our times , take the 40 min meal relief , get on the vans , cut-off , bring back mail to add to the following day's load , trust
me mate, they'll not last as long as us. :cool

Positive thinking

07 Jun 2007, 20:26

Come on lads, now is the time to prove to Crozier etc that we have got big bollox. DO NOT start getting negative now cos at the end of the day we have got to look at saving as many jobs as possible,we have to think long term not just short term.I cant wait to stand up and be counted not only for myself but also for my mates,keep the faith and enjoy seeing your doms face in the morning!

07 Jun 2007, 20:46

No chance of that 'work to rule' happening here like, it would put more work on most people haha!

Seriously tho DH, are you in it for the all out strike (months maybe) if it comes to that or are you clinging to the hope that a few days here and there will make them back down?

Torman...........

07 Jun 2007, 20:47

.......Well said, mate. :Applause

Whatever it takes , however long it takes , TO WIN.

07 Jun 2007, 20:54

It's very easy to do a work to rule, come in on time, take your breaks, finish on time, bring back post, no working your day off, no collections etc.

07 Jun 2007, 20:55

yeah thats all nice united forum talk n that but i dont think 99% of the people who voted yes are ready for an all out strike, the union has stated no knee jerk reaction and no definate strike to soothe people, but basically we voted FOR a strike, thats what will happen, a lot of folk dont think so but it will, dont start flaming me and taking this all wrong cos im out with you all now ive voted for it, BUT lets say we are out for a few weeks... TNT could be waiting for this very thing to launch some deliveries and look like the SAVIOUR of mail in this country whilst 'the well paid postmen whine over pennies' ..........that last quote is what i generally think a lot of folk think of us, certainly a lot of my mates always giving me grief about us all moaning when they allegedly do harder jobs than us for less pay :p Just saying we could look really bad out of this and competition wins favour with the businesses and public

07 Jun 2007, 20:58

disgruntledpostie1 wrote:It's very easy to do a work to rule, come in on time, take your breaks, finish on time, bring back post, no working your day off, no collections etc.

it was a joke mate, meaning it wouldnt make a s**t of difference in our MC, cos everyone would end up working more if they had to stick to the rules!!!!

07 Jun 2007, 21:16

ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS ENSURE THAT RM GET FINED MORE FROM THE WATCHDOG THAN WE ARE MAKING IN PROFFIT,CERTAIN PEOPLE NEED TO LEAVE RM WITH THEIR CV LOOKING GOOD FOR THEIR NEXT JOBS

07 Jun 2007, 21:17

Work to rule? Crap, I've been doing that for the past 13 years anyway lol!

08 Jun 2007, 14:22

A work to rule would work in our office as they have us at the limit already. As in previous post we had EA a few months ago and georoute was enforced now we have walks of 4hrs plus being common. Also in an all out strike it would be solid in MY DO I think for quite a while because of what they have been doing to us locally. Even people who crossed the picket line last time say they are going out if called to do so.

08 Jun 2007, 14:47

Don't underestimate the resolve of the people in your office we've just done 17 days strike and 6 months work to rule so far and they are more than ready for a lot more if thats what it takes!!
Your other option is to become slave labour and do exactly as management tell you regardless of whether or not it is right or fair.
SLAVERY WAS ABOLISHED BUT RM and MANY OTHER WORKPLACES ARE BRINGING IT BACK not with whips but with finacial and intimidating threats. The rich at the top taking all the money and the real workers who earn it all getting only the bare minimum needed to live so that we can turn up for work the next day to line more of their coffers.
AS LONG AS IT TAKES TO GET A FAIR DEAL WITH IMPROVED WORK CONDITIONS AND PAY :so there :so there :so there :so there :so there :so there :so there :so there :so there

08 Jun 2007, 15:03

madsorter wrote:No chance of that 'work to rule' happening here like, it would put more work on most people haha!

Seriously tho DH, are you in it for the all out strike (months maybe) if it comes to that or are you clinging to the hope that a few days here and there will make them back down?

[b]Even were it an all out strike lasting 3 months , I'd be out. What's the alteternative ? .......... An increased workload , lower pay,
a pension worth less than it is now, when I retire ? .......... Yes , if need be , I'd be out for as long as it takes.

Madsorter , you've got to try and understand that if, if we fail to find the strength and the will to face down once and for all, Alan Leighton & Adam Crozier , my job , your job , everyone's job , is going to go down the toilet at a rate of knots. What do you think
would happen if every postalworker took a leaf out of your book and said, "Al , Adam, I'm too weak to carry on fighting , I want to
live for today , and let tomorrow take care of itself", eh ? Let me tell you , you'd have made their year , and given consent for the
RM gravy train , provided by the sheer effort and hard work of all postalworkers , to chugg merrily along with not only those two
idiots aboard , but the other 498 clowns who help make up the top 500 overpaid and underworked RM management "team". You'd also
consent to becoming a member of Britain's growing army of "flexible" workers , and in RM's case, that means anytime , anywhere , and
for market rate pay............ If you go under , make sure it's not under a white flag of surrender , and if you go down , go down
fighting. :cool
Last edited by DirtyHarry on 08 Jun 2007, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

08 Jun 2007, 15:29

DirtyHarry wrote:
Even were it an all out strike lasting 3 months , I'd be out. What's the alternative ? .......... Redundancy ? ........... Lower pay ? ........ A more unmanageable workload ? ............ A pension worth less than it is now, when I retire ?

Madsorter , you've got to try and understand that if, if we fail to find the strength and the will to face down once and for all, Alan Leighton & Adam Crozier , my job , your job , everyone's job , is going to go down the toilet at a rate of knots. What do you think
would happen if every postalworker took a leaf out of your book and said, "Al , Adam, I'm too weak to carry on fighting , I want to
live for today , and let tomorrow take care of itself", eh ? Let me tell you , you'd have made their year , and given consent for the
RM gravy train , provided by the sheer effort and hard work of all postalworkers , to chugg merrily along with not only those two
idiots aboard , but the other 498 clowns who help make up the top 500 overpaid and underworked RM management "team". You'd also
consent to becoming a member of Britain's growing army of "flexible" workers , and in RM's case, that means anytime , anywhere , and
for market rate pay............ If you go under , make sure it's not under a white flag of surrender , and if you go down , go down
fighting. :cool

Hear Hear. :Applause :Applause

08 Jun 2007, 19:19

Good answers, im just asking if people are 100% committed and ready for an all outer thats all

08 Jun 2007, 20:22

i think it is down to each office,if there is strong union leadership then yes it will happen if not it will be hit and miss,i have noticed that those who do not strike/action etc in our office are some of the loudest complainers about things they dont like,but they like to keep the money plus reap any reward

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2