not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Working during the strike..

06 Jun 2007, 01:12

If there is a yes for industrial action, what happens if people want to carry on working during the strike?

Got told today in WTL that we can still work but there may not be any work for us to do. If there is no work and we come in as usual.. do they still pay us or can they just send us home without pay?

Also if they try to send us to different offices do they have to pay us more? My brother works for UPS and pparently at UPS they will pay you more if they send you to work at a different depo for the day.

Re: Working during the strike..

06 Jun 2007, 06:59

Aaron wrote:If there is a yes for industrial action, what happens if people want to carry on working during the strike?

Got told today in WTL that we can still work but there may not be any work for us to do. If there is no work and we come in as usual.. do they still pay us or can they just send us home without pay?

Also if they try to send us to different offices do they have to pay us more? My brother works for UPS and pparently at UPS they will pay you more if they send you to work at a different depo for the day.

I would say that it is almost certain that if your office has no work u wold be instructed to work at an office where there might be work : ie Mail Centre, which would require crossing a picket line.

06 Jun 2007, 13:14

whats the gen on picket lines how many are allowed on there and are we allowed to call out if any one crosses it?

06 Jun 2007, 13:19

wakkono wrote:whats the gen on picket lines how many are allowed on there and are we allowed to call out if any one crosses it?

Hopefully we will be briefed before going on the picket line, but apprently its a maximum of 6 and we cant yell personal abuse at those breaking the strike. Shouting strike breakers is apparently a No No.

06 Jun 2007, 13:20

yeah i thought so ill have to check with local branch hopefully just being there will intimidate most

06 Jun 2007, 13:26

would be get away with calling them STILLS

STRIKE BREAKERS

06 Jun 2007, 14:30

I SAY - NAIL 'EM TO CROSSES AND LEAN THE CROSS AND VICTIM SLIGHTLY FORWARD, AS THE ROMANS USED TO, THEREBY THE AGONY CANNOT BE EASED BY TRANSFERING YOUR WEIGHT (lordy, what is this guY on . . . ed!). GAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :crazy:

Re: STRIKE BREAKERS

06 Jun 2007, 14:32

mdtomuk wrote:I SAY - NAIL 'EM TO CROSSES AND LEAN THE CROSS AND VICTIM SLIGHTLY FORWARD, AS THE ROMANS USED TO, THEREBY THE AGONY CANNOT BE EASED BY TRANSFERING YOUR WEIGHT (lordy, what is this guY on . . . ed!). GAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :crazy:

Can you get strengthened steel quick enough to put the fat controllers up on one.

06 Jun 2007, 15:25

I HEAR WHAT YOUR SAYIN TBT :no no BUT DONT YOU KNOW LAWS ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN OVER HERE WE TIE THEM TO LAMPOSTS & COVER THEM WITH TAR & FETHERS [ JUST NOT THE SAME ANYMORE ] REM A SCAB IS A SCAB :cool

I dont understand !

06 Jun 2007, 20:17

I just don't understand why anyone would pay their dues to the union every week, then when a strike is called, cross a picket line and go into work !
The union has a fair system of voting and if the majority of people do vote to strike then you should go with the majority ( thats how democracy works....you don't always get what you want, but everyones had a fair say in the matter )

As far as the " I can't afford to go on strike" arguement goes.....

I am poor , I live from week to week, I rob Peter to pay Paul, I have no equity or savings at all , Friday -pay goes in , Monday -into the overdraft

But I have a moral sence that says its wrong to let down your fellow workmates and always put yourself first !

I lost 8 days pay last time ....I still here .....and still have my self esteam

We need to stick together

DON'T CROSS THE PICKET LINE.....YOULL ALWAYS HAVE IT ON YOUR CONSCIENCE

06 Jun 2007, 20:19

well said deadbox lets print it out and put on every office wall in the country put it on top of all leightons s**t!!

06 Jun 2007, 20:55

So we can't call them strike breakers? What about blacklegs? Or that good old 19 century word 'knobsticks'?

06 Jun 2007, 21:01

IF SOMEONE GOES INTO WORK THEY ARE A SCAB AND WILL BE TOLD SO....WHO IS TELLING US WE CAN'T CALL THEM strike breakers????
WOULD THIS BE THE SAME PEOPLE THAT TOLD US WE CAN'T GO ON STRIKE????
YOU ARE EITHER FOR US OR AGAINST US..UNITED WE STAND !!!!

NICE TO SEE A FELLOW IWW'R ON THE SITE...

HASTA LA VICTORIA SIEMPRE

06 Jun 2007, 21:04

johnston65 wrote:IF SOMEONE GOES INTO WORK THEY ARE A SCAB AND WILL BE TOLD SO....WHO IS TELLING US WE CAN'T CALL THEM strike breakers????
WOULD THIS BE THE SAME PEOPLE THAT TOLD US WE CAN'T GO ON STRIKE????
YOU ARE EITHER FOR US OR AGAINST US..UNITED WE STAND !!!!

NICE TO SEE A FELLOW IWW'R ON THE SITE...

HASTA LA VICTORIA SIEMPRE

Cheers mate. The Union Makes Us Strong!

As for scabs- NO PASARAN!

06 Jun 2007, 22:26

Back when i was a lad (88 strike) one chap decided to cross the picket line, we did not call him a scab or anything it was his choice.
When we got the pay rise he did not say no i dont want it
Today still we dont swap duties or even talk to him unless we have to
Even the nights out he is not invited
We dont treat him bad by being abusive or threatening but on several occasions he has said it was the worst choice he ever made
Everyone has a choice mine is a all out strike Make sure yours is the right one
You may think the union is usless a few years ago i did, until i needed them badly & they were there for me 110%

SUPPORT YOUR UNION

06 Jun 2007, 22:44

manwithnovan wrote:We dont treat him bad by being abusive or threatening but on several occasions he has said it was the worst choice he ever made

Don't wanna tread on your toes,but seems to me he's gutted about it.
Nearly 20yrs is a dammned long time,people change.

07 Jun 2007, 13:53

Good call, with todays yes vote i would stand next to him on the picket line

07 Jun 2007, 14:13

Had chat with a close friend at work and he's going to work if we strike, Feel gutted as I have 3 kids and he has just him and his wife. Dont want to lose a mate but feel like he's stabbing me in the back

07 Jun 2007, 14:57

If (when) a strike is called what about all of our non-union colleagues.

If they chose to stand by the rest of us we must give them the support that they will need when management try to intimidate them.

There will always be the idiots who only care about the here and now (how much money can I get during strikes etc)

More important is for a stable and competant foundation for the long term future of the business.

Hopefully Royal Mail will start to listen (it just may be possible)

I live in hope

DEADBOX... SPOT ON MATE

07 Jun 2007, 15:22

MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY..... THIS UNION IS EQUAL WE ALL HAVE OUR SAY AND WE ALL MAKE IT HEARD!!

IF WE DONT BACK OUR UNION ALL THE WAY ITS LIKE BEING HALF ALIVE, IT DONT WORK...

DEMOCRACY WORKS FULL STOP BACK EACH OTHER WOT EVER THE OUTCOME!! OR BEGONE FROM THE UNION!!

OUT

CRACKING POST MATE!! :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3