not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Special Leave entitlement

01 Jun 2007, 23:44

In a few months time my missus is due for an operation. She'll be in hospital for a few days and then, when she does get discharged, will not be up to much lifting and the like for a time afterwards (obviously hard to predict how long since recoveries vary). I have approached my manager about this and his opinion is that I will be entitled to some paid special leave but then I will have to look at using my annual leave entitlement.
Firstly, let me fill in a few personal details. I have two kids, aged 8 and 4 (the latter is a right handful!). I understand that RM would expect me to put in place child care measures but both sides of the family are unable to take on the role (eg. My Dad works away, my Mum has Leukemia, her mum has passed away and her dad has MS...we sure are lucky, huh?!). Am I expected to get outside care or do I have a reasonable arguement for extended paid leave?
What are the limitations of special leave in this case? I can provide further details if necessary...
:roll:

Re: Special Leave entitlement

02 Jun 2007, 07:22

Pokemon Postmon wrote:In a few months time my missus is due for an operation. She'll be in hospital for a few days and then, when she does get discharged, will not be up to much lifting and the like for a time afterwards (obviously hard to predict how long since recoveries vary). I have approached my manager about this and his opinion is that I will be entitled to some paid special leave but then I will have to look at using my annual leave entitlement.
Firstly, let me fill in a few personal details. I have two kids, aged 8 and 4 (the latter is a right handful!). I understand that RM would expect me to put in place child care measures but both sides of the family are unable to take on the role (eg. My Dad works away, my Mum has Leukemia, her mum has passed away and her dad has MS...we sure are lucky, huh?!). Am I expected to get outside care or do I have a reasonable arguement for extended paid leave?
What are the limitations of special leave in this case? I can provide further details if necessary...
:roll:

As one of your children is so young I think Royal Mail has a duty to allow u 2 adjust your hours around child care,not sure if that will help, might make childcare cheaper tho as not so many hours required.

02 Jun 2007, 12:16

Usually 1 week paid special leave is the max, but i know of a case in our office were they give a lad about 3 weeks special leave with pay because of his circumstances, yours sound alot similar if not worse, considering you have your children to look after, there are always guidelines on these issues, but individual circumstnaces should be considered, i would push for longer, if you have no joy go higher, the last resort is an absence through stress but why should you need to do that when we work for a caring employer.

GOOD LUCK

05 Jun 2007, 15:54

Special Leave is down to personal circumstances and may differ from one person to the next.
Special leave is seen as a one off unexpected problem. If as in your case, a situation is soon to arise, then you are expected to make your own arrangements either through holiday leave, adjusted work hours or leave without pay.

I would use my holiday leave *cough*and *cough* go *cough* sick*cough* later *cough*in*cough* the*cough* year*cough*

05 Jun 2007, 16:36

05 Jun 2007, 16:45

Image Thanks Postman just the tonic

NICE BUT NOT MY TIPPLE

05 Jun 2007, 17:43

BRANDY IS BETTER!!!!

out

dont let the hic hic hic bastrsdds hic hic hic gring yan hic hic hic dahn!! burp!!! :d'oh!

06 Jun 2007, 00:13

I do feel a little off colour...
:crazy:

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1