not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

I'm Voting NO to strike action.

24 May 2007, 15:45

Thought I would give you a chance to get it off your chests :Very Happy

After over 20 years of being a member and over 7 years as delivery rep I am voting NO. I will be crossing the picket line and it will be the first picket line I've ever crossed.

My reasons for this are that I don't trust our senior CWU representatives. I believe they flex their muscles (the membership) to get what's best for them not us, it keeps them in post. I am also disgusted at the way a divisional rep has misled me and my members, i am disgusted that a branch will not give aid to members who have been bitten by dogs, i am disgusted an area rep can not pass disagreements or grievances up to a higher level.

As you can see I have no faith in any level of this union. Even the members themselves bully each other and don't stick together, stabbing each other in the back for overtime.

In short, the CWU is weak, uninformative, divided and I don't trust any of them from the floor to the most senior member.

Be gentle with me................. :no no

24 May 2007, 16:01

Andy

as much as you are entitled to your vote,after all it is a democracy,you have to ask yourself if what you are doing is right...everybody gets pissed off with the union and its representatives from time to time but without them think what you would have. Sacked on the spot for not doing your job in their opinion,sacked for taking days off sick,poor pensions,poor wages,conditions,..I could go on.

I agree that everything in Royal Mail is not rosy but this is hardly the fault of the union after years of tory/new labour anti union laws making it less powerfull than in the 70's.

If you think voting against the union to allow the dictatorship of Leighton to ride roughshod over us then go ahead...but believe me,and ask anyone that works for non-unionise industries,it would be the final nail in all our coffins.

THINK !

Re: I'm Voting NO to strike action.

24 May 2007, 16:26

andycprice wrote:Thought I would give you a chance to get it off your chests :Very Happy

After over 20 years of being a member and over 7 years as delivery rep I am voting NO. I will be crossing the picket line and it will be the first picket line I've ever crossed.

My reasons for this are that I don't trust our senior CWU representatives. I believe they flex their muscles (the membership) to get what's best for them not us, it keeps them in post. I am also disgusted at the way a divisional rep has misled me and my members, i am disgusted that a branch will not give aid to members who have been bitten by dogs, i am disgusted an area rep can not pass disagreements or grievances up to a higher level.

As you can see I have no faith in any level of this union. Even the members themselves bully each other and don't stick together, stabbing each other in the back for overtime.

In short, the CWU is weak, uninformative, divided and I don't trust any of them from the floor to the most senior member.

Be gentle with me................. :no no

You will not like this, just resign, cross picket line and be a scab forever.

no vote

24 May 2007, 16:42

In every organisation their are bad apples,being an ex rep you know your true convictions. I could also tell you some horrer stories but at the end ot the day this is about the BIG picture. You know the daily attacks the screws are making on a daily basis on your workmates & what will hapen if a NO vote is recorded. ALL i can do is plead with you to realy think about where u put your X ON THE BALLOT PAPER. Remember unity is strength, VOTE YES, ONWARDS & UPWARDS

24 May 2007, 16:58

Andy

Surley there must be other ways to express your anger.

Bit suprised!

24 May 2007, 17:09

I'm gonna reitirate on a previous post of mine.
Things may have gone on within the Union,at local/area and National level that we're not happy about.
BUT this is different s**t and serious s**t.
Lets get the 'YES' vote,sort things out,and when the dust settles,lets tell HQ and whoever that some goings on,aint on.

24 May 2007, 17:09

Johnson65..I believe the union is not strong enough to take Royal Mail on it is corrupt fot the self promotion of senior officials

Evilc.."just resign, cross picket line and be a scab forever" very simplistic solution? why resign? I get all the benefits with zero effort. I will cross the picket line, thanks for the suggestion. Be a scab forever? won't I be a scab as long as the strike lasts? Brilliant post well done. Potential manager.

Ulsterpostie..100% agree untiy is strength but I see no untiy with this union. I see defragemented offices and even branches. Onwards and upwards is a valiant battle cry but not sure all our members are listening.

Bigdaz..I've tried to express my anger through the correct channels. its eight weeks since my branch contacted me, six weeks since I was suspended and the investigation surrounding my suspension is five weeks old with no contact or progress report. What else is open to me?

appreciate most of the comments though.

Andy mate...

24 May 2007, 17:32

Im saddend by what has happend to you.. REALLY.. As much the same has happened to me.. Let down by 1st a Area rep (NOW RESIGNED) Now going slime as gossip leads to believe? Then in my case i was let down AGAIN by CWU HQ.. Told my case has very little chance of winning in a IT. And if i wanted to go down this line o could off my own back!!! OHHH THANKS!!!! SO i know wot its like being off sick (long term now 9 mnts) Stress thru RM H&B and greivances against RM use of the IR framework or lack of it.. The row went up to stg 3.. Then RM put the breaks on and challenged My CWU HQ rep. and in my opinion BOTTLED IT!!! SO up shite creek without a paddle.. This is how i feel mate, same as you.. But PLEASE DONT LOSE YOUR TRUE STAND.. The one where you were a REP doing good for good sake. I know its a thankless job and people dont realise what a great job most Reps do!!!!!!!

Just please mate dont mix your personal with the BIG PICTURE.. Im not making opinions based on my state, because i would of jacked the CWU in years ago.. Call me foolish, call me an idiot. I stand for what WE BOTH KNOW, IS FOR THE BEST OF ALL WHEN WE VOTE YES AND STAND UP FOR YOUR MORALS EVEN WHEN THERE LOSING THERES AROUND YOU MATE!!! IT HARD I KNOW. Im being done now for my original case was brought in BAD FAITH AND taken down the code of conduct... I now face the sack.. RTU as well if taken to the RM rules.. SO what do i do??? moan and cry off or carry on and FIGHT THE WRONG DOERS!!!! YES I FECKING DO MATE!!!!! N YES I WILL STAND ON A PICKET EVEN IF IM NOT AT WORK AND BACK MY UNION.. OUR MEMBERS WHERE WE SHOULD ALL BE EQUAL!!!!!!! YES !!!!!

OUT

ANDY MATE, DONT LET THE BASTARDS GRIND YA DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause

24 May 2007, 17:33

The union is only as strong as its members and in a perfect world the working class would all unite and overthrow the capitalist system to live in a world of peace and freedom. Unfortunately though we live in a real world where human nature sometimes takes those with good intentions in the wrong direction...thats why we get the chance to vote those we don't think are doing a good job out of office. You are right you do receive the benefits wether you are a member or not but ask yourself this how do and did you receive these benefits?... thats right because of your union.

So you actually contradict yourself because if you vote against supporting your union you can wave goodbye to what you consider benefits and what others including myself would consider the rights of every trade unionist.

24 May 2007, 17:35

Thanks Tommo and Johnson, good points.

24 May 2007, 18:32

I am no longer attached to the union,by this i mean i don't pay subscribtions.
i became very frustrated at the lack of any involvement at local level,however i still(for some reason)receive updates from them
and i presume a ballot paper is on it's way.
This is not the time to vent your grievance at the union,only this morning my manager wanted me to take an extra bag of mail,and thinks our
argument is purely based on money(greed)if we vote no the next time he won't be asking me to take it on docket,i'll have to take for nothing
as part of my duty.
as i've stated previously,and i believe many people feel this way,i don't want to go on strike but we have no alternative,and while some may
question the unions role,we are fortunate to be given the option and not just have the change imposed.
for me,
vote YES!

24 May 2007, 19:22

To me if you vote no, your not only accepting all the strings attached to the crap pay offer but also admitting your 40% underworked and 25% overpaid.
Regardless of your issues with the union,this is about us and the future of your job.

24 May 2007, 19:57

ANDY IM NOT A BIG UNION FAN MYSELF DUE TO HAVING SEEN IT IN ACTION AS A MEMBER AND A MANAGER I DONT THINK THAT THE UPPER LEVELS OFTEN HAVE ANY IDEA ABOUT THE GRASS ROOTS AND THE ONLY TIME WE SEEM TO HEAR FROM THEM IS WHEN ONE SIDE OR THE OTHER THROWS THEIR RATTLE OUT OF THE PRAM THEN THEY TURN UP ALL GUNS BLAZING
HOWEVER
NOW THAT THEY HAVE WOKEN UP THIS FIGHT IS NOT ABOUT IN HOUSE RIGHTS AND WRONGS AND I KNOW HOW IT FEELS TO BE SHI? ON, NOW IT IS ABOUT NEXT WEEK,NEXT MONTH,AND NEXT YEAR THE PEOPLE WITH 40 YEARS SERVICE OR 40 DAYS SERVICE,WE ARE FIGHTING NOT SO MUCH FOR THE PAY AS TO HOW WE WILL BE TREATED IN THE YEARS TO COME,NOTHING IS PERFECT BUT WE HAVE INHERITED FROM OUR SENIOR MEN A JOB AND CONDITIONS THAT ARE PROBABLY WAY ABOVE AVARAGE AND I FEEL WE HAVE A DUTY OF CARE AS THE MEN IN THE FOREFRONT NOW TO PASS SOMETHING ON TO THOSE WHO WILL COME AFTER US AND THE AWFULL TRUTH IS IF THE UNION DONT STAND TALL NOW WITH AT LEAST AN 80 PER CENT YES VOTE THEN IT MIGHT AS WELL PACK UP AND FOLD BECAUSE IT WILL HAVE NOTHING LEFT AND WILL BE A SPENT FORCE
ANDY YOU ARE FREE TO DO AS YOU WISH AND THAT IS A RIGHT I WILL FIGHT FOR BUT PLEASE DONT TRY AND SWING THE MIDDLE GROUND WITH YOU,REMEMBER THIS IS NOT ABOUT POLLITICS BUT ABOUT THE MAN AT THE SIDE OF YOU
DEEPEST RESPECT
ROCKY

24 May 2007, 20:32

Andy, Along with all the others, I would urge you to re-think your decision.
Yes you have had a rough ride, and you may be just in your feeling at the moment, but, if you take out your grievance in this way, you will be playing straight into RM's hands and giving them everything they want, not only on this pay offer but also in the future too.

For your own future, think seriously again about your decision.

24 May 2007, 20:34

Are you sure your a rep mate. I think you need to check out your loyalties. If you were my rep and you crossed a picket line, i'd propose a vote of no confidence and have you removed as rep. The whole point of being a rep is to set an example to and provide support to members when needed. You can guarantee, if this dispute comes to strike, 99.99% of reps will NEVER cross the line. I think you're the 0.1% who wouldn't. You can deal with dodgy area reps at the branch meeting you attend. That's the best time to show your displeasure. NOT when we as a union face, as Dave Ward stated, 'OUR BIGGEST CHALLENGE'

24 May 2007, 21:14

HI ANDY AS A UNIT REP. SUB AREA REP,BRANCH TREASURER AND ASSISTANT BRANCH SEC . I AGREE WITH SOME OF YOUR POINTS THAT CERTAIN MEMBERS OF THIS UNION ARE LEFT DIGRUNTLED BY IT,BUT VOTING NO AND CROSSING A PICKET LINE IS NOT THE WAY TO DO THINGS . IT SOUNDS YOU ARE VERY ANGRY FROM WHATS HAPPENED IN THE PAST CAN I ASK NEVER MIND THE AREA REP ETC DID YOUR MEMBERS NOT BACK YOU UP FOR WHAT HAPPENED?

THINK OF IT ANDY CAN YOU LIVE WITH THE WORD SCAB ON YOUR FOREHEAD.

24 May 2007, 21:20

Andy, are you really turning your back on the union who you represent? and also remember who the union are, that guy who works next to you or one of the lads who you have a pint with, there the union. vote YES and put pressure on RM.

25 May 2007, 17:44

I appreciate the comments, negative and positive, but why would I give support to a national union when they appear uninterested in local issues. They don't support me why would I support them?

As for my loyalties, seven years rep and twenty years member you can see my loyalty. Loyalty is earned and it's not on demand.

I no longer represent the union due to false allegations and no union support.

You cannot pick and choose when I am a worthy member.

I have been subjected to bullying, harassment, swearing, damage to my vespa, spitting on it, putting fag ash and cups on it, threats and intimidation. The union has stood there and done nothing. I have tolerated this for six weeks now.

I put this post on here exactly for this, to encourage constructive criticism and to encourage a debate. To state scab blah blah blah is disappointing from educated adults. Being passionate is fine but be constructive with it. Democracy works.

25 May 2007, 18:03

wouldnt it be better if you just didnt vote andy ?

25 May 2007, 18:08

That's a good point dinho.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5