Apart from the deterrent of course.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn
-
jetblack
- Posts: 974
- Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
- Gender: Male
CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn
In the aftermath of crticisms of Corbyns team not containing enough women its nice to see that today Unison (who has a majority of female members) publicly backed Corbyn after their members voted pretty emphatically to support him (58% to 42% for Smith)
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn
What from the Soviets, or more likely President Hamster Hairdvbuk55 wrote:Apart from the deterrent of course.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
The Israelis like us so they won't launch the weapons they don't have at us. The Indians and Pakistanis are more likely to launch at each other than at us.
The French I suppose are an outside bet so we may be deterring them.
The North Koreans don't have the range with their missiles except to strike at outlying US bases on another countries soil, and it would invoke NATO if they nuked Japan. Also, the North Koreans don't have any capability to fly or float their nukes, and are more likely to go after South Korea but its a drastic way to gain reunification. That would be the very definition of MAD.
I suppose the South Africans could eventually prove a threat but again they don't have any capability beyond dropping them, and we could see that coming a long time before they got to us.
The Iranians, they have no missiles, they keep killing their nuclear scientists, don't have the capability to produce enough fissionable material without Israel knowing and taking action against them.
The biggest threat at the moment from nukes is not from rogue states or mad dictators. It's from terrorists and religious zealots getting russian mobsters to sell them to them. In one case us retaliating against them would be a fulfilment of a biblical text, and in the other would bring about the martyrdom they want. In both cases it would be the antithesis of a deterrence, in fact, it may encourage them to take action when and if they become capable of doing so.
Then there is the argument of the actual fact of having a nuclear deterrence could cause thermonuclear war by accident, poor intelligence, or just over reaction by one party as a result of a terror group using a dirty bomb (very unlikely), or an actual nuclear device (less unlikely), and other parties believing they are under attack from the other.
Nuclear deterrence is a minefield and whether it not works is open to debate. But one thing for sure, we are buying Trident 2 because it's more accurate, but Trident 1 was accurate to 90m, in a nuclear explosion yielding 100 kilotonnes I don't think 90m is going to make much difference.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn
Well when I say deterrent I really mean the big stick, which Theresa has said she would authorise and press the button if necessary, so it actually is immaterial who has the capability of nuclear weapons, what is material is that we have and would use them if the circumstances dictated. I'll bet accuracy isn't the only advantage to upgrading, I mean you have probably upgraded your TV or laptop/computer because the newer version is faster, more storage or memory: I know we have. I imagine we have 3 or 4 laptops round the house that are never switched on, we have 4 TVs all over 42 inches and the ones they replaced were perfectly serviceable which we passed on to people who wanted them.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Nuclear deterrence is a minefield and whether it not works is open to debate. But one thing for sure, we are buying Trident 2 because it's more accurate, but Trident 1 was accurate to 90m, in a nuclear explosion yielding 100 kilotonnes I don't think 90m is going to make much difference.
-
baldrick
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 5038
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
- Gender: Male
CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn
Well I watched it. Excellent result even though 30,000 people weren't allowed to vote.baldrick wrote:I have received an email invite to the party conference in September, but I'm not going. I'll watch it on the telly instead.dvbuk55 wrote:Well jet I hope you and baldrick won't find it too lonely at the labour party conference if corbyn wins, if he loses though lets not have the histrionics we had after the brexit vote
Conference was packed and greeted the result with enthusiasm. Corbyn has an even bigger mandate.
Let's hope the coup plotters won't be having more histrionics.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn
There's little chance the "coup plotters" or as I prefer to call them the sensible members of the labour party who won't kow tow to barmy leftist politics and the diktats of an old dictator.baldrick wrote:Well I watched it. Excellent result even though 30,000 people weren't allowed to vote.baldrick wrote:I have received an email invite to the party conference in September, but I'm not going. I'll watch it on the telly instead.dvbuk55 wrote:Well jet I hope you and baldrick won't find it too lonely at the labour party conference if corbyn wins, if he loses though lets not have the histrionics we had after the brexit vote
Conference was packed and greeted the result with enthusiasm. Corbyn has an even bigger mandate.
Let's hope the coup plotters won't be having more histrionics.
-
jetblack
- Posts: 974
- Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
- Gender: Male
CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn
They tried every dirty trick in the book, they tried mockery, scheming, undermining, bullying, ostracism- all this, not from the Tories, nor from the Murdoch press. No, all this from members of the Labour Party.
I wouldn't think I was exaggerating to say that I've been disgusted at the behaviour of some of the coup plotters. I don't know who's interests they think they have been working in, but it certainly hasn't been the interests of the Labour Party nor the people of this country.
I know JC is talking of wiping the slate clean - and I wouldn't be expecting any less of him - but in my view I can't see how some of those concerned can in good conscience see for themselves a future in the Labour Party. We aren't talking about a difference of opinion here. We are talking about the lowest kind of backstabbing power hungry treachery.
Anyhow, the result is in [again] and its emphatic [again].
Heidi Alexander says the PLP should vote on the shadow cabinet. Hey, I don't think you are really in a position to bargain here Heidi.
Shape up or ship out.You will not be missed I can assure you.
I wouldn't think I was exaggerating to say that I've been disgusted at the behaviour of some of the coup plotters. I don't know who's interests they think they have been working in, but it certainly hasn't been the interests of the Labour Party nor the people of this country.
I know JC is talking of wiping the slate clean - and I wouldn't be expecting any less of him - but in my view I can't see how some of those concerned can in good conscience see for themselves a future in the Labour Party. We aren't talking about a difference of opinion here. We are talking about the lowest kind of backstabbing power hungry treachery.
Anyhow, the result is in [again] and its emphatic [again].
Heidi Alexander says the PLP should vote on the shadow cabinet. Hey, I don't think you are really in a position to bargain here Heidi.
Shape up or ship out.You will not be missed I can assure you.
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn
I don't see how it is going to help the labour party by having a rift like this in the ranks merely at the behest of an old rogue who's still ensconced in the 70s. I hope the PLP form a new party with the 170 anti Corbyn members and leave him to stew in his own juice with his 40.
-
jetblack
- Posts: 974
- Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
- Gender: Male
CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn
A random young bloke in Nuneaton has been interviewed on the street and asked about his views on Corbyn - the BBC are playing it over and over like this lad is some kind of spokesman for the common man. The lad says Corbyn isn't a strong leader. He doesn't say much else, nor does he qualify his statement (his bias that is)
To be fair, I don't think this lad would know strength of character if he tripped over it walking down the street
To be fair, I don't think this lad would know strength of character if he tripped over it walking down the street
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn
TBH jet you're never going to accept any criticism of Corbyn whoever says it, FFS if the 170 members of the PLP say that he is not a leader and they have experienced leadership then joe public isn't going to persuade you. He just has to appeal to the general electorate and he doesn't it's as simple as that.jetblack wrote:A random young bloke in Nuneaton has been interviewed on the street and asked about his views on Corbyn - the BBC are playing it over and over like this lad is some kind of spokesman for the common man. The lad says Corbyn isn't a strong leader. He doesn't say much else, nor does he qualify his statement (his bias that is)
To be fair, I don't think this lad would know strength of character if he tripped over it walking down the street
-
jetblack
- Posts: 974
- Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
- Gender: Male
CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn
Well, I definitely won't accept it from a spotty youth who still thinks his winky is for peeing out of, that's for sure.dvbuk55 wrote:
TBH jet you're never going to accept any criticism of Corbyn whoever says it
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn
And yet he is the future of the labour party because he is going to be a voter at the next election, judging by his opinion he won't be voting labour. That is the failure of the Corbyn camp though by assuming that labour voters will naturally vote for mr Corbyn and they will either not vote or vote for another party, either way it will be a disaster for labour at the next election.jetblack wrote:Well, I definitely Won't accept it from a spotty youth who still thinks his winky is for peeing out of, that's for sure.dvbuk55 wrote:
TBH jet you're never going to accept any criticism of Corbyn whoever says it![]()
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn
That's why the party is screwed.jetblack wrote:Well, I definitely won't accept it from a spotty youth who still thinks his winky is for peeing out of, that's for sure.dvbuk55 wrote:
TBH jet you're never going to accept any criticism of Corbyn whoever says it![]()
Why do you think this "spotty youth" thinks like that?
Whether he's right or wrong is immaterial.
Your arrogance is astounding.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
jetblack
- Posts: 974
- Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
- Gender: Male
CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn
Come on now FT - don't be a sore loser, and don't take my spotty youth comment in the vain in which it wasn't intended.
If you want to swallow everything the Beeb are feeding you then that's up to you. But don't ask me to.
Arrogant ? Maybe
.
Or maybe I'm seeing things clearly
Can't really blame me if I feel a bit smug today buddy. Don't worry, it won't last.
I'll tell you what I'm not FT, and that's anti democratic. And I'm not a Machiavellian back stabber. And I don't issue credit for the purchase of used and knackered cars.
The jury that is the Labour membership has weighed up all the evidence put before it and today has returned a verdict.
You FT and the aforementioned DVB that stand before me tonight are guilty as charged and will serve not less than the period of 15 years in political servitude
To be served in HMP LibDem

It's better that when a question has been debated - and debated and debated - and then it's been settled by consensus,it's better then to show a bit of class and have a bit of humility I'd say, when things haven't gone your way.
Wouldn't you agree ??
If you want to swallow everything the Beeb are feeding you then that's up to you. But don't ask me to.
Arrogant ? Maybe
Or maybe I'm seeing things clearly
Can't really blame me if I feel a bit smug today buddy. Don't worry, it won't last.
I'll tell you what I'm not FT, and that's anti democratic. And I'm not a Machiavellian back stabber. And I don't issue credit for the purchase of used and knackered cars.
The jury that is the Labour membership has weighed up all the evidence put before it and today has returned a verdict.
You FT and the aforementioned DVB that stand before me tonight are guilty as charged and will serve not less than the period of 15 years in political servitude
To be served in HMP LibDem
It's better that when a question has been debated - and debated and debated - and then it's been settled by consensus,it's better then to show a bit of class and have a bit of humility I'd say, when things haven't gone your way.
Wouldn't you agree ??
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
CWU support of Jeremy Corbyn
The CWU is justified in it's support of Jeremy Corbyn not for over half a century has labour had a leader who espouses the values which working people who are trade's unionist's to get behind for a better UK and world. A leader is one who can inspire not someone who come's out with a rehash of the old failed system's of yesteryear grammar school's for the rich what more division in a society which the the rich have 99% of the wealth and they expect me and you to fund their offspring MAY can swivel on it another over privileged MP who has no mandate as she shoehorned all her opposition out of the way what a devious bitch she is. I voted for Jeremy and have even joined the party which I did for £23.50 get involved and make our country the most democratic place on earth Jeremy got 312,000 votes Owen Smith got 193'000 votes that's 192'800 MORE than MAY got in the so called Conservative election.
