In poker it's seldom wise to raise with a poor hand when you know your opponent has little choice but to go all in. Royal Mail is in that position. This dispute has become more about the egos of those involved than finding a mutual way forward.
The alternative is to try to save as many jobs as possible, protect our terms and conditions as much as possible and have some say in the changes that are inevitably coming. That will only come from talking and that will only come from removing the confrontational position of the two players involved.
To be clear I have never backed away from industrial action, I have never voted against industrial action and I'm not about to start now. Neither would I advise anyone to do so, it's a dumb move to make your union look weak but what I've outlined above is the position I think the union should take.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Terry Pullinger seeking re-election for DGSP
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Terry Pullinger seeking re-election for DGSP
Only dead fish follow the current
-
GRS
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
- Gender: Female
- Location: South West
Terry Pullinger seeking re-election for DGSP
Great post

-
ssdd
- Posts: 2053
- Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
- Gender: Male
Terry Pullinger seeking re-election for DGSP
Thanks Woody, that's a good answer to my question. Unfortunately I see the position of Royal Mail as one of flagrant disregard and disrepect to our Union, thereby trying to claim the upper hand.
I don't see their position as one that is willing to negotiate fairly. This is evidenced by their recent Executive Actions.
When we're faced with a 'closed mind' (something Terry was trying to convey in a recent video) what real options do we have? The Union are trying to 'talk', but RM ain't listening! I believe the only egos involved are those in RM management, and that the confrontation is heavily loaded from them also. We as a Union are only trying to defend our position.
I don't see their position as one that is willing to negotiate fairly. This is evidenced by their recent Executive Actions.
When we're faced with a 'closed mind' (something Terry was trying to convey in a recent video) what real options do we have? The Union are trying to 'talk', but RM ain't listening! I believe the only egos involved are those in RM management, and that the confrontation is heavily loaded from them also. We as a Union are only trying to defend our position.