ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The rules on Breaks

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

The rules on Breaks

Post by korky »

it's probably an h&s risk to take a break once on delivery, unless you have a cafe on duty, definitely not supposed to eat/drink in the van, we must take a minimum of half indoor and can take the rest whenever, 99.9% of take it at the end which still isn't right but it's what happens, it would open up a can of worms if forced to take the whole lot within the shift, it could be argued that a break on delivery isn't practical due to logistics, i.e, toilets and canteen
the confusion of those trying to take the whole lot at the end to get home earlier still goes on, if the office is clear on return they go home, but they kick off if more work needed or sent back to attempt 739-tracked again,
the managers can quite rightly assume they've already taken 20 mins earlier due to the legal min 20 mins WITHIN 6 hours work, use it or lose it!
of course it's a free for all on saturdays :left:

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fisherkinguk
Posts: 36
Joined: 26 Apr 2014, 14:25
Gender: Male

The rules on Breaks

Post by fisherkinguk »

This is my duty planner, it shows 20 mins to be taken indoors and the rest outdoors.
It states (by the manager) that the last 20 mins are not to be taken at the END. This doesn't sound too bad except for a few problems.
1, I'm with a 27 hr woman who does not start until I believe 20 mins before she has to take her break. I was told you can not take you break at the start !
2, I work close to a farm, the smell of manure makes you feel sick. I don't want to have my 20 min break anywhere near this smell.
3 I don't want to be sat in a van melting in the summer, freezing in the winter to have my break.
Quite a few have mentioned these points to the manager but he just expects us to make it work somehow, He knows we will not bother to have our breaks outside. This means he can send us back out if he needs to with out us having our full break.
I'm pretty sure this can not be right, but since our union rep will not back us (usual story with him since he always gets it easy) We will yet again lose another one of our few rights.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

The rules on Breaks

Post by WOBBLY »

Take your break before you go out! Let the manager sort out the problem of the part timers break, thats what they're paid for - to manage!
fisherkinguk
Posts: 36
Joined: 26 Apr 2014, 14:25
Gender: Male

The rules on Breaks

Post by fisherkinguk »

I don't really want my break before I go out, it's the outdoor work that is the back breaking part.
We have tried leaving in to the manager to sort out, he will just repeat what he has already said. Then it's down to you to sort it out or he will take your break from you when you get back if he needs to. This is why I'm forced to get advice elsewhere since my union rep is of no use.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

The rules on Breaks

Post by k979aaa »

fisherkinguk wrote:I don't really want my break before I go out, it's the outdoor work that is the back breaking part.
We have tried leaving in to the manager to sort out, he will just repeat what he has already said. Then it's down to you to sort it out or he will take your break from you when you get back if he needs to. This is why I'm forced to get advice elsewhere since my union rep is of no use.
Well I know this is not the best resource i am going too give but in the courier propaganda rag on page 6 of February 2018 says you can return to office you may all want too keep this part of the rag as it is good ammunition if you so need it!
fisherkinguk
Posts: 36
Joined: 26 Apr 2014, 14:25
Gender: Male

The rules on Breaks

Post by fisherkinguk »

If you look at the way forward agreement on page 23 it says

Breaks at the beginning or end of attendance

Where an attendance is provided with more than one break, the second break may be scheduled at the beginning or end, in which case attendance is not required solely for booking on or off. A single break should not be scheduled at the beginning or end of the attendance


I printed this section out and gave it to my union rep, he said it was meant for overtime only and didn't apply to us!.
It's in Black and White, what more does he want?
It seems rules are only there to use against us, and never to protect us.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

The rules on Breaks

Post by korky »

i'm sure local agreements allow half/part of the break to be taken at the end, however it's a legal requirement to take a minimum 20 mins within the 1st 6 hours
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

The rules on Breaks

Post by k979aaa »

fisherkinguk wrote:If you look at the way forward agreement on page 23 it says

Breaks at the beginning or end of attendance

Where an attendance is provided with more than one break, the second break may be scheduled at the beginning or end, in which case attendance is not required solely for booking on or off. A single break should not be scheduled at the beginning or end of the attendance


I printed this section out and gave it to my union rep, he said it was meant for overtime only and didn't apply to us!.
It's in Black and White, what more does he want?
It seems rules are only there to use against us, and never to protect us.
Why don't you take 20 min after you tie up get the part timer to load the van in 10 min and he have his/her break for 10 min you both come back at the same time as one has 10 min break and you have 20 min break!
fisherkinguk
Posts: 36
Joined: 26 Apr 2014, 14:25
Gender: Male

The rules on Breaks

Post by fisherkinguk »

But then the part timer would still be having a break just after they start work, what would they be having a break from? and if I am not allowed to have my break at the start or end, then why is she forced to?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32787
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

The rules on Breaks

Post by POSTMAN »

Fisherking, get your rep to come on here and explain to us where and when you should take your break.
Also get said rep to explain to us what he means by the wayforward doc you showed him only means when on docket.

I'm being serious, get him on here.
This s**t is boring and reps need to be made accountable.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
kevbo
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 134
Joined: 07 May 2010, 16:33
Gender: Male

The rules on Breaks

Post by kevbo »

Do all FTers have to do the same. If not it’s discrimination. If your rep is no help go to area rep.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

The rules on Breaks

Post by k979aaa »

kevbo wrote:Do all FTers have to do the same. If not it’s discrimination. If your rep is no help go to area rep.
It's the way forward agreement it's f****d up different duty lengths with different break lengths it's not so much discrimination as times have changed and so has the culture since when it was written ie lappsing which is a management tool to gain personal gain from bonuses and pension benefits till these things are addressed can we have any CULTURE CHANGE that will make any agreement work?
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

The rules on Breaks

Post by Celgar »

fisherkinguk wrote:I have now been told by me rep that we are not allowed to have our 20 mins at the end, I printed out the section and showed it to him in work. He said it was for overtime only, I insisted it was in black and white we could have it at the end, but he was against it (just as I expected!).
Your rep doesn't know what he is talking about. You are entitled to a 20 minute break to be taken away from your work area/frame and another 20 minute break which you are entitled to take once you arrive back from delivery.
Part time doesn't really work within RM from what I have seen unless they work a smaller number of whole days per week. Personally I would ask to be teamed up with another full time postie if I was you.
Your manager/DOM doesn't sound suited to the job either.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

The rules on Breaks

Post by k979aaa »

Celgar wrote:
fisherkinguk wrote:I have now been told by me rep that we are not allowed to have our 20 mins at the end, I printed out the section and showed it to him in work. He said it was for overtime only, I insisted it was in black and white we could have it at the end, but he was against it (just as I expected!).
Your rep doesn't know what he is talking about. You are entitled to a 20 minute break to be taken away from your work area/frame and another 20 minute break which you are entitled to take once you arrive back from delivery.
Part time doesn't really work within RM from what I have seen unless they work a smaller number of whole days per week. Personally I would ask to be teamed up with another full time postie if I was you.
Your manager/DOM doesn't sound suited to the job either.
There are an awful lot of them to not suited to do anything but dictate little Hitlers hiel.