not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Can't get desired annual leave

25 Sep 2020, 10:35

What happens if I can’t get the Annual leave ive requested , my partner booked a holiday for us next year , but I don’t have the time off secured, if I can’t get it off surely they can’t stop me from going. What’s the point in working to afford to do things but then can’t do them , is unpaid leave an option , or will I need to take time off stress related courtesy of Royal Mail , seems a joke , I have never worked anywhere Like this before where you have to fight and struggle to do simple normal things

Can’t get desired annual leave

25 Sep 2020, 10:39

Seniority, Whos been there longest gets first pick and if you dont get what youve asked for as far as RM are concerned tough, also dont go sick on the weeks youve asked for as they will check on your holiday sheet to see if your pulling a fast one, Dont book and pay for any holidays until RM have confirmed your annual leave dates.

25 Sep 2020, 10:47

Not really bothered , il go off sick all year if I have to , then by the time my holiday comes round they’ll be sick of calling me, loosing money and not being able to have a life is enough grounds to go off with stress tbh.

25 Sep 2020, 12:26

Try to swap with someone or do what most people do go sick.

25 Sep 2020, 13:23

2yearpostie wrote:Seniority, Whos been there longest gets first pick and if you dont get what youve asked for as far as RM are concerned tough, also dont go sick on the weeks youve asked for as they will check on your holiday sheet to see if your pulling a fast one, Dont book and pay for any holidays until RM have confirmed your annual leave dates.

Seniority cant be used as the sole decider for leave - everyone has to have an equal opportunity to select their leave.

But everything else is spot on.

Blinkboy44 wrote:What happens if I can’t get the Annual leave ive requested , my partner booked a holiday for us next year , but I don’t have the time off secured, if I can’t get it off surely they can’t stop me from going. What’s the point in working to afford to do things but then can’t do them , is unpaid leave an option , or will I need to take time off stress related courtesy of Royal Mail , seems a joke , I have never worked anywhere Like this before where you have to fight and struggle to do simple normal things

Whilst leave is both a contractual and statutory right employers can decide when you take it, as long as they give you the opportunity to take it at some point in the year.

You can apply for special leave, however there is no legal right to it so they can say no.

If you just go on holiday without permission, they can dismiss you for misconduct https://www.acas.org.uk/capability-procedures

25 Sep 2020, 14:21

if you go sick and go abroad without permission you will lose your job. be careful.

25 Sep 2020, 14:59

If everybody just took the time off they wanted the place would shut down

Thats why you dont book a holiday until you have chosen your leave first

You cant just expect to get whenever you fancy off if there is a system in place on who picks first etc ( which should be rotational and not seniority )

Its shite but its the only way to do things otherwise you could have 20 people all wanting the same weeks in July off and nobody wanting March/April

25 Sep 2020, 15:34

Yes I appreciate everyone needs a fair choice but realistically it’s unlikely most people will want the exact same time off, it’s just crazy you can’t plan in advance, and I get seniority but it should also be taken into concideration the circumstances of why it is needed off compared to joe bloggs just choosing it for the sake of it, a family member has planned this trip for my partners birthday, so I have to just tell them no you can’t book a holiday in advance because I work for Royal Mail, it’s ridiculous . I understand this is the reality and realistically I’m not gonna risk my job over it but it just seems unfair and stupid, was hoping unpaid would be an option but not holding my breath.

25 Sep 2020, 15:41

Blinkboy44 wrote:Yes I appreciate everyone needs a fair choice but realistically it’s unlikely most people will want the exact same time off, it’s just crazy you can’t plan in advance, and I get seniority but it should also be taken into concideration the circumstances of why it is needed off compared to joe bloggs just choosing it for the sake of it, a family member has planned this trip for my partners birthday, so I have to just tell them no you can’t book a holiday in advance because I work for Royal Mail, it’s ridiculous . I understand this is the reality and realistically I’m not gonna risk my job over it but it just seems unfair and stupid, was hoping unpaid would be an option but not holding my breath.

Once you start making an exception though thats when problems start and everyone can then say 'Yeah but you gave Joe Bloggs the time off HE wanted'

If you dont get special unpaid leave and cant swap with anyone you could try offering £££ to people to cover you

25 Sep 2020, 16:18

Acca Dacca wrote:
Blinkboy44 wrote:If you dont get special unpaid leave and cant swap with anyone you could try offering £££ to people to cover you

Yes sadly that will probably be the plan

25 Sep 2020, 16:25

I think in the annual leave guidelines it specifically mentions taking into account special requests due to weddings etc.
We all (most) have lives outside of RM and work cannot be expected to come first all the time.
Make a request for the weeks you want and if the DOM just says no, use the grievance procedure.

25 Sep 2020, 16:30

Acca Dacca wrote:If everybody just took the time off they wanted the place would shut down

That isn't true.
Some people want the school holidays, others want to avoid them.
Everybody understands the need to limit the number on annual leave each week.
From experience I would say that if you let people choose which weeks they want off they will get roughly what they want.

And anyone who gets a bad experience one year gets preferential treatment the next.

25 Sep 2020, 16:33

Blinkboy44 wrote:Not really bothered , il go off sick all year if I have to , then by the time my holiday comes round they’ll be sick of calling me, loosing money and not being able to have a life is enough grounds to go off with stress tbh.

Are you for real? Who books a holiday before you know you have time off for it? Doesn't sound like you've been in the world of work for long to me. As for staying you'll just go off sick for a yr.....grow up mate.

25 Sep 2020, 16:37

rambo1 wrote: Who books a holiday before you know you have time off for it?

Someone who needs to plan a special event but can't really wait for some useless RM manager to get off their arse and confirm the annual leave.

25 Sep 2020, 17:19

That seniority malarkey does not stand up in the 2020 workplace, override them phone HR Services 0345 6060603 tell them the holidays you want/need & what's happening in your office.
Thank me later :thumbup

25 Sep 2020, 17:48

2yearpostie wrote:Seniority, Whos been there longest gets first pick and if you dont get what youve asked for as far as RM are concerned tough, also dont go sick on the weeks youve asked for as they will check on your holiday sheet to see if your pulling a fast one, Dont book and pay for any holidays until RM have confirmed your annual leave dates.

Allowing those most senior to have priority is illegal.

If your office operates like that, I'd be all over that s**t till that practice ended.

25 Sep 2020, 17:58

Murdoch wrote:

Allowing those most senior to have priority is illegal.

If your office operates like that, I'd be all over that s**t till that practice ended.

We voted to stop seniority in our office 6 years ago, it was a free vote and from memory a majority of 60 to 40 %. Any week that is over booked goes to a draw and Christmas is rotated every year so in theory you should be off at Xmas every 5 years depending on quota agreed with Union and Management.

25 Sep 2020, 19:54

rambo1 wrote:
Blinkboy44 wrote:Not really bothered , il go off sick all year if I have to , then by the time my holiday comes round they’ll be sick of calling me, loosing money and not being able to have a life is enough grounds to go off with stress tbh.

Are you for real? Who books a holiday before you know you have time off for it? Doesn't sound like you've been in the world of work for long to me. As for staying you'll just go off sick for a yr.....grow up mate.

Perhaps if you could read properly some of your questions would be answered. And sadly that isn’t true, although if it was what difference would that make? Sounds like you’ve been in the same workplace too long. Believe it or not in some other work places people can actually rely on getting the holidays they want. Wow.

25 Sep 2020, 21:04

clashcityrocker wrote:
Acca Dacca wrote:If everybody just took the time off they wanted the place would shut down

That isn't true.
Some people want the school holidays, others want to avoid them.
Everybody understands the need to limit the number on annual leave each week.
From experience I would say that if you let people choose which weeks they want off they will get roughly what they want.

And anyone who gets a bad experience one year gets preferential treatment the next.

That's exactly how I've done it for the last ten years at my place and although it's a lot of work, practically everyone gets what they want. Our summer leave is on a rota from start of June until end of September so everyone knows when they'll be off until 2034. Every office also has those people who don't bother going away for hols and they are usually very receptive to swapping with people who need a particular week off.

Can't get desired annual leave

26 Sep 2020, 16:55

What happens if there is just no availability for annual leave to be taken?

I work in a relatively small office that has a high proportion of people who purchase additional leave.

Quite a few people, myself included, still have several weeks to take / book for this year.

There is one week available early next year and that's it......

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3