not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE




Duplicate parcels

24 Sep 2020, 21:15

Two tracked parcels, with identical labels and tracking numbers, the second one won’t scan , as the first one is scanned and showing on the pda, so no record is possible of a duplicate delivery . What should you do?

Duplicate parcels

24 Sep 2020, 21:19

What's the context?

Normally I just deliver as normal, if safespace is available then stick it in safespace, if dibbed then band it up and shelve it for redelivery/collect.

Duplicate parcels

24 Sep 2020, 21:26

Bboingg wrote:Two tracked parcels, with identical labels and tracking numbers, the second one won’t scan , as the first one is scanned and showing on the pda, so no record is possible of a duplicate delivery . What should you do?

I've had this a couple of times before and just assumed it was a scam, only paying postage for one and using it on two packets but I took photos of them on my phone in case there was any come back or denial of receiving.

Duplicate parcels

24 Sep 2020, 21:32

chocolatesaltyballs wrote:
Bboingg wrote:Two tracked parcels, with identical labels and tracking numbers, the second one won’t scan , as the first one is scanned and showing on the pda, so no record is possible of a duplicate delivery . What should you do?

I've had this a couple of times before and just assumed it was a scam, only paying postage for one and using it on two packets but I took photos of them on my phone in case there was any come back or denial of receiving.


Wise. I personally think it's an incorrect/incomplete distribution process from the sender's side. I mean, if they slapped quantity numbers on the boxes like 1/2 2/2 etc then it would make sense.

It's kind of like when people have packets that say "leave in safe place if not in" at the bottom of the label but don't tell you what the safe space is in the next section of the label.

I've delivered to thousands of delivery points and I can only remember ONE delivery point that uses the safe place system properly.

Duplicate parcels

24 Sep 2020, 22:40

Bboingg wrote:Two tracked parcels, with identical labels and tracking numbers, the second one won’t scan , as the first one is scanned and showing on the pda, so no record is possible of a duplicate delivery . What should you do?


I scan in a lot of tracked every day as ready for delivery when it arrives in the office. Normally get this at least once a day. It’s nearly always 2 items sent by the same company going to the same address. I put it down to a glitch in the system of the sending company rather than a deliberate attempt to defraud Royal Mail.

Duplicate parcels

24 Sep 2020, 23:09

Its been happening since tracks started. Its always from the same company to the same address. Told managers numerous times & they said it should have flagged up at the mail centre. Essentially they dont care.

Its either
a. postage scam to pay postage once for two items
b. an error where the same label has been used twice
c. an error when the same parcel has been sent twice

Dont care anymore. It just gets delivered

Duplicate parcels

25 Sep 2020, 04:54

Not your problem, scan one, enter, scan the other, enter, finish your shift, go home & forget about it.

Duplicate parcels

25 Sep 2020, 06:57

Route1 wrote:Told managers numerous times & they said it should have flagged up at the mail centre. Essentially they dont care.

It can only be flagged up in the DOs. In MCs you'll have multiple people scanning the Tracked and unless it happens to be two consecutive items in the same bullring you'll never notice it. The people scanning the Tracked won't always be the ones sorting it. The new PDAs don't highlight the issue as they send each scan as it's done where as the old PDAs used to send the scans off in lots of 50 so you had the last 49 items stored locally that it would check against

Duplicate parcels

25 Sep 2020, 07:16

I’ve been told that yes this is an attempt to only pay once for postage. I get them quite regularly.

My DOM has told me that we should scan one item and complete the process on that one item as in delivered or not, then do the second one.

Apparently it is picked up by the system so that the customer gets billed twice for the delivery.

Duplicate parcels

25 Sep 2020, 10:28

Alantidey wrote:I’ve been told that yes this is an attempt to only pay once for postage. I get them quite regularly.

My DOM has told me that we should scan one item and complete the process on that one item as in delivered or not, then do the second one.

Apparently it is picked up by the system so that the customer gets billed twice for the delivery.


What if you accidentally scanned a single parcel as "delivered to customer" twice? Would they end up getting billed for that parcel twice? I can't see what the difference would be two scanning two duplicate labels with the same barcode on two different packages.
Last edited by goneaway on 25 Sep 2020, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

Duplicate parcels

25 Sep 2020, 10:36

We just deliver one and take the other back to the office, if they complain they were expecting two items we surcharge it when they come to collect.

Duplicate parcels

25 Sep 2020, 15:05

Alantidey wrote: Apparently it is picked up by the system so that the customer gets billed twice for the delivery.


That's rubbish, so if I scan a parcel numerous times, they get billed the amount of times I scan it :crazy:

Duplicate parcels

25 Sep 2020, 19:11

I thought so too but bowing to greater knowledge.

I would quite happily send it for surcharge but our d.o. no longer has control of these, as they get sent to mail centre to deal with.

Would appreciate a correct route to follow.

Duplicate parcels

26 Sep 2020, 21:37

Maybe the PDA should be re-programmed to ask -
When the second one is scanned, whilst the first one is already scanned.
* Is this a duplicate?
* YES
* Take a photo of both side-by-side.

At the moment it just won't accept a second scan of the same code (when the first one is already showing)
Not the same as scanning one parcel twice cos you quickly forgot that you did it, or you're making sure.

Duplicate parcels

29 Sep 2020, 22:38

It seems like a pretty fatal flaw in the tracking service where reality and the simple the barcode is the packet model programmed into it diverge. It's Kafkaesque to stand there on the doorstep with two packets to be told there's only one.

Duplicate parcels

29 Sep 2020, 22:52

I don't have a mobile phone so when it initially started happening I wrote the sender and recipient details down along with the barcode number and handed it in to the DOM. I would scan one of the offending items and deliver all of the items.
Current procedure is still to scan one of them and deliver all of them & make a note of the barcode and number of items. Then when we return to the DO use another PDA to type the barcode in for any further items.
The impression I get is that it is avoidance of postage costs but I guess it could be a flaw in the printing & payment system.

Duplicate parcels

30 Sep 2020, 18:51

Celgar wrote:.....
Current procedure is still to scan one of them and deliver all of them & make a note of the barcode and number of items. Then when we return to the DO use another PDA to type the barcode in for any further items. .............


When you say 'another PDA' is it your logon being used or someone elses?

I'd love to hear an explanation from your management as to what this actually achieves. Surely scanning another item as delivered in the DO
using either your logon or someone elses is a false representation of what has happened 'on the street'.

Duplicate parcels

30 Sep 2020, 19:24

yellowbelly wrote:
Celgar wrote:.....
Current procedure is still to scan one of them and deliver all of them & make a note of the barcode and number of items. Then when we return to the DO use another PDA to type the barcode in for any further items. .............


When you say 'another PDA' is it your logon being used or someone elses?

I'd love to hear an explanation from your management as to what this actually achieves. Surely scanning another item as delivered in the DO
using either your logon or someone elses is a false representation of what has happened 'on the street'.


It would mean RM receives the postage payment for both items or how ever many items had the same barcode on them.
The alternative method would be for the DOM to email the relevant admin department in RM with the sender and recipient address details along with any other relevant details. They would then pursue the payment and maybe work out how it had happened so it didn't happen again or so often. The latter method is what we used to do.
If the items have all been delivered I don't see how it can be a false representation as what was meant to happen to the parcel/s has been achieved. The only difference or problem is if the parcel/s have been delivered by us free of charge.

Duplicate parcels

30 Sep 2020, 19:30

Celgar wrote:Current procedure is still to scan one of them and deliver all of them & make a note of the barcode and number of items. Then when we return to the DO use another PDA to type the barcode in for any further items.

Can't see how that would make any difference apart from showing a second delivered scan for the tracking number

Duplicate parcels

30 Sep 2020, 20:36

Scan the 2d bar code on one and the 1d on the other.

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 2   1, 2