not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE




The Royal Mail

18 Sep 2020, 23:44

30 years ago we were a service. We convey the Queens Mail and we should remember that. I think we should be proud of the job we do.

It is a shame that the public and government don't seem to see us in the way anymore. I long for the days where the Queens Mail was considered very highly. For example, people letting you pull out at a junction as if you really were the 4th emergency service. Nowadays, people just don't give a shite.

The job has gone down the gutter. Anyone have any nostalgia from years gone by? In relation to the mail being seen as a service... and not just as another parcel courier?

The Royal Mail

19 Sep 2020, 05:43

We had an old boy who started in the 60s was a telegram boy.he was my driver when we all piled into a sherpa.one morning he parked on a double yellow right at a junction and a traffic warden had a right go at him for it,his response was funny and memorable.he just said to the guy "I am the queens messenger and I can park where I like"i do miss the characters that we worked with in the early days ties flat caps the blue uniform.yes the job is nothing like it was.

The Royal Mail

19 Sep 2020, 09:25

postieblueshirt wrote:We had an old boy who started in the 60s was a telegram boy.he was my driver when we all piled into a sherpa.one morning he parked on a double yellow right at a junction and a traffic warden had a right go at him for it,his response was funny and memorable.he just said to the guy "I am the queens messenger and I can park where I like"i do miss the characters that we worked with in the early days ties flat caps the blue uniform.yes the job is nothing like it was.


In my office I heard a story from years ago that one time the police tried to pull over a van with the last collection of mail. Full of yorks. The driver pulled over and told the copper he is conveying the queen's mail and he needs to follow him to the sorting centre. The copper turned bright red and by no suprise let the driver leave with no penalty

The Royal Mail

19 Sep 2020, 09:35

I know what you mean!

But does everyone realise it's no longer the Queen's Mail?

When privatised, Buckingham Palace objected as it was unprecedented for a private company to display the insignia of Queen. They relented after pressure from government. It then released a statement saying that it was allowed to keep the name and the logo so as not to adversely affect its business but made absolutely certain it had no other connection to the Queen or the state any longer.

As a private company, it is very different to the way it was before - so no longer the Queen's Mail.

The Royal Mail

19 Sep 2020, 10:39

burton76 wrote:
When privatised, Buckingham Palace objected as it was unprecedented for a private company to display the insignia of Queen. They relented after pressure from government. It then released a statement saying that it was allowed to keep the name and the logo so as not to adversely affect its business but made absolutely certain it had no other connection to the Queen or the state any longer.


This isn't quite correct. Numerous companies (eg Fortnum & Mason) legally display the royal arms on their products and use them in their advertising. The issue with Royal Mail was unique in that it did not have permission as a private company to use the arms. Permission was given.

You may be confusing the use of the arms with the 2018 plan for RM to trademark the queen's head image used on stamps, which she, not unnaturally, objected to. However, RM had approached the palace for permission even in this instance.

The Royal Mail

19 Sep 2020, 12:10

Munchboii wrote:
postieblueshirt wrote:We had an old boy who started in the 60s was a telegram boy.he was my driver when we all piled into a sherpa.one morning he parked on a double yellow right at a junction and a traffic warden had a right go at him for it,his response was funny and memorable.he just said to the guy "I am the queens messenger and I can park where I like"i do miss the characters that we worked with in the early days ties flat caps the blue uniform.yes the job is nothing like it was.


In my office I heard a story from years ago that one time the police tried to pull over a van with the last collection of mail. Full of yorks. The driver pulled over and told the copper he is conveying the queen's mail and he needs to follow him to the sorting centre. The copper turned bright red and by no suprise let the driver leave with no penalty


That instruction is / used to be printed on the vehicle log book ,

The Royal Mail

19 Sep 2020, 14:12

Lol we’re lucky We ain’t got Rico’s ugly moosh on the stamps!!!

The Royal Mail

19 Sep 2020, 14:56

burton76 wrote:I know what you mean!

But does everyone realise it's no longer the Queen's Mail?

When privatised, Buckingham Palace objected as it was unprecedented for a private company to display the insignia of Queen. They relented after pressure from government. It then released a statement saying that it was allowed to keep the name and the logo so as not to adversely affect its business but made absolutely certain it had no other connection to the Queen or the state any longer.

As a private company, it is very different to the way it was before - so no longer the Queen's Mail.

I know what your saying but were kinda talking about 20 years before privatisation here.

The Royal Mail

19 Sep 2020, 16:39

I hear stories of old posties having to much to drink while working leaving mail on the second delivery and just going home lets not pretend they were bothered about the mail any more or any less then posties do now.

The Royal Mail

19 Sep 2020, 19:59

It depends on the context you put it years ago full public service respected job that did not pay well at the time I joined but had a very good pension, Now a private enterprise full of back stabbing bastards who's only line is it's your fault maybe they learnt that one line from the big backstabber above them see how quick they learn if the can blame someone else. The pension has gone to pot and the service you now are as likely to be accosted by the lack of service even if not in uniform once someone finds out you are the target for customer complaints because of the very lack of service and getting through on the phone is like phoning the the Lapland elves in winter wonderland in June no one to pick up the bloody phone. Is it any wonder most want to leave after seeing the s**t hit the fan while the managers hide under their desks and hope any s**t will not hit them this is not leadership but a dereliction of the duties of a manager I was once proud of being a postman and now that I know the cowards that are pretending to be delivery office or delivery managers are nothing but charlatans!

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 1