ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Transfers, temporary contracts.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Iknockedtwice
Posts: 47
Joined: 28 Jul 2019, 18:57
Gender: Male

Transfers, temporary contracts.

Post by Iknockedtwice »

I recently asked a question in another thread about getting a transfer while all the newly advertised jobs are temporary contracts only but rather than follow it up there I thought it better to start a new thread.
I have been looking into getting a transfer to a more local DO but for obvious reasons I wouldn't want to jeopardise my permanent contract for a temporary one so though I'd email HR for a definitive response.
The answer is, if you are on a permanent contract and the DO only needs someone for a fixed term then you simply won't be offered the position, they won't accept your request and downgrade your contract.
However, if the DO needs someone to fill a permanent vacancy then your application is processed accordingly.
Transfers are prioritised on whether or not an applicant has previously requested one but not been successful. If more than one candidate applies for the same position and have all previously been unsuccessful then seniority comes into play.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.
CHUCKYPIG
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 132
Joined: 07 Apr 2020, 21:01
Gender: Male

Transfers, temporary contracts.

Post by CHUCKYPIG »

Thanks for the info it is helpful. A question: If say for example I have been with Royal Mail for 2 years and I move to another office and then there is a resign for walks at that office.

Will my seniority go on the date when I first joined Royal Mail? Or the date when I moved to the new office?
theotherone
Posts: 430
Joined: 04 Jun 2020, 21:58
Gender: Male

Transfers, temporary contracts.

Post by theotherone »

CHUCKYPIG wrote:Thanks for the info it is helpful. A question: If say for example I have been with Royal Mail for 2 years and I move to another office and then there is a resign for walks at that office.

Will my seniority go on the date when I first joined Royal Mail? Or the date when I moved to the new office?
First Joined RM.It work to my advantage when I moved offices.Was never offered more contract hours at old D.O because way down on seniority,moved to new office and was top of PT seniority and when from 25 hours to 32 in a week! Took me over 10 years to go from 24 to 36.5 what I'm on now.
CHUCKYPIG
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 132
Joined: 07 Apr 2020, 21:01
Gender: Male

Transfers, temporary contracts.

Post by CHUCKYPIG »

theotherone wrote:
CHUCKYPIG wrote:Thanks for the info it is helpful. A question: If say for example I have been with Royal Mail for 2 years and I move to another office and then there is a resign for walks at that office.

Will my seniority go on the date when I first joined Royal Mail? Or the date when I moved to the new office?
First Joined RM.It work to my advantage when I moved offices.Was never offered more contract hours at old D.O because way down on seniority,moved to new office and was top of PT seniority and when from 25 hours to 32 in a week! Took me over 10 years to go from 24 to 36.5 what I'm on now.
Ok ta. That's good to know. I am thinking of transferring to an office down the road from me. I am spending too much time and money on travel currently and it will probably take me about 10 years to get my own walk or more hours where I am now.
Iknockedtwice
Posts: 47
Joined: 28 Jul 2019, 18:57
Gender: Male

Transfers, temporary contracts.

Post by Iknockedtwice »

Seniority is from the date you started with the company, you don’t start again as a bottom-feeder if you transfer.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Transfers, temporary contracts.

Post by postieblueshirt »

Yeah I took 16 years seniority with me that went down well at the resign that happened a year after transfer straight into a rural lol