not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Returning to work for RM after IHR

11 Sep 2020, 11:18

I seem to remember when I got IHR 1.5 years ago the terms stipulated that returning to RM within 2 years would mean repayment of the lump sum would be required.
Anyone know if this is on a scale? Would seem a little off to return a week/month early and have to repay the entire amount, I can't find anything in writing in the ill health agreement about returning tho. Anyone have any knowledge/experience of this?

Cheers

11 Sep 2020, 12:16

Its very unlikely that they will re employ you. If they did you would have to provide sound medical evidence to prove you are fit to work. As far as i know you have to wait at least 2 years before you can apply at all. In the meantime you can still work as a casual or through an agency.

11 Sep 2020, 14:40

Why on earth would you want to return to this hell on earth job? :crazy:

11 Sep 2020, 14:42

when you leave via ill health i think they tick a box saying cannot re-employ. happened to a mate of mine

11 Sep 2020, 15:40

There's a bloke at my DO who returned to work for RM after getting IHR, he had to give the lump sum back.

Whether you're allowed to return would depend on the health reason you left in the first place and whether you've recovered or not. The bloke at my DO had recovered!

11 Sep 2020, 16:35

My rep told me the minimum requirement was 12 months and you had to have medical proof that the condition you had that caused IHR would no longer be an issue in any future employment. As for paying any monies back I can't say, best bet would be to contact HR or your union branch.

12 Sep 2020, 07:32

Queeg500 wrote:I seem to remember when I got IHR 1.5 years ago the terms stipulated that returning to RM within 2 years would mean repayment of the lump sum would be required.
Anyone know if this is on a scale? Would seem a little off to return a week/month early and have to repay the entire amount, I can't find anything in writing in the ill health agreement about returning tho. Anyone have any knowledge/experience of this?

Cheers

Seems a bit like taking the pxxs to accept a lump sum payment for ill health retirement then expect that you can come back to work if you ask me. So you just wanted a couple of yrs paid holidays?

12 Sep 2020, 08:16

rambo1 wrote:Seems a bit like taking the pxxs to accept a lump sum payment for ill health retirement then expect that you can come back to work if you ask me. So you just wanted a couple of yrs paid holidays?

A tad harsh.
IHR isn't very much money, certainly not enough to fund 2 years holidays.
And if you aren't well, what is the value of that money anyway? What price good health?

And in answer to the original post - I have known people return to the business after taking IHR. And why not?

12 Sep 2020, 09:33

poisonpostie wrote:Why on earth would you want to return to this hell on earth job? :crazy:

Are you still in job?? if so why??

12 Sep 2020, 11:04

clashcityrocker wrote:
rambo1 wrote:Seems a bit like taking the pxxs to accept a lump sum payment for ill health retirement then expect that you can come back to work if you ask me. So you just wanted a couple of yrs paid holidays?

A tad harsh.
And if you aren't well, what is the value of that money anyway? What price good health?

And in answer to the original post - I have known people return to the business after taking IHR. And why not?

Correct, the money certainly won't last 2 years and generally most people are in a pretty bad way health wise when they do go on IHR. The monies you get is there to compensate you, to a point, till such a time as you're fit enough to get other employment.

13 Sep 2020, 00:14

I know of a Manager getting paid off & then getting a job as a postie before another IHR. I couldnt believe they'd hire this OAP over a younger fitter leaner person. Diversity?

I dont know the timescale between leaving management & getting postie job. I heard it from a customers cousins ex while she was sleeping the neighbours etc... Apart from that it is a true story

13 Sep 2020, 07:49

Route1 wrote:I know of a Manager getting paid off & then getting a job as a postie before another IHR. I couldnt believe they'd hire this OAP over a younger fitter leaner person. Diversity?

I dont know the timescale between leaving management & getting postie job. I heard it from a customers cousins ex while she was sleeping the neighbours etc... Apart from that it is a true story

Funnily enough I heard the exact same thing about 10 years ago. A long standing manager getting IHR, for stress IIRC, then coming back as a posties 18 months later.

13 Sep 2020, 19:34

clashcityrocker wrote:A tad harsh.

That's what I think Clash .... "Health Before Wealth" .... is the way i look at it. :cuppa

13 Sep 2020, 19:40

Sugar wrote:
Funnily enough I heard the exact same thing about 10 years ago. A long standing manager getting IHR, for stress IIRC, then coming back as a posties 18 months later.

Well that makes a refreshing change .... A Failed Manager becoming a Postie! In my experience it's normally the other way around. :left:

Although I do know one DOM who was Busted from DOM to Postie (due to Gross Negligence/Incompetence/Fraud ..... don't know why they kept him in the Business? :hmmmm .... but I understand he's since been made back up to Reserve DOM. :cuppa

14 Sep 2020, 13:49

I don't argue with idiots, so our interaction is over, but here are the facts for you:
I was off due to mental health issues. Both my parents died of cancer over an 8 months period, I was trying to manage being their full time carer and work, I suffered severe depression, anxiety as well as other stuff (aka a breakdown).
I've done a lot of counselling and I'm well enough to return to employment.

Not that its any of your business, perhaps before running your mouth you might consider that sometimes people have to deal with real problems, there's no time limit on when they might overcome those problems, implying me, or anyone else, should never work again because of being on IHR, (caused by a situation beyond my control, that I have overcome), is kind of dumb.

I always enjoyed the job, left on very good terms, had a good relationship with manager and most of the office. I miss it.

Appreciate everyone else taking the time to offer helpful replies tho.

14 Sep 2020, 18:11

From previous threads on here with the same question, there was always a 2 year limit to come back and you had to prove that your previous problems/ailments had gone.
Good luck

17 Sep 2020, 21:26

Queeg500 wrote:

I don't argue with idiots, so our interaction is over, but here are the facts for you:
I was off due to mental health issues. Both my parents died of cancer over an 8 months period, I was trying to manage being their full time carer and work, I suffered severe depression, anxiety as well as other stuff (aka a breakdown).
I've done a lot of counselling and I'm well enough to return to employment.

Not that its any of your business, perhaps before running your mouth you might consider that sometimes people have to deal with real problems, there's no time limit on when they might overcome those problems, implying me, or anyone else, should never work again because of being on IHR, (caused by a situation beyond my control, that I have overcome), is kind of dumb.

I always enjoyed the job, left on very good terms, had a good relationship with manager and most of the office. I miss it.

Appreciate everyone else taking the time to offer helpful replies tho.

Looks like you've been shot down in Flames Rambo. :hmmmm Better Bail Out and pull that ripcord Mate. :cuppa

18 Sep 2020, 08:12

Dorset Plodder wrote:
Sugar wrote:

Well that makes a refreshing change .... A Failed Manager becoming a Postie! In my experience it's normally the other way around. :left:

Isn't that always the case?

In the job only 2 minutes and they're after being managers because they can't do it or it's physically too hard for them. A lot of issues in the company would be improved if they increased the time limit for 18 months to say 5 years before you could apply to be a manager.

Dorset Plodder wrote:Although I do know one DOM who was Busted from DOM to Postie (due to Gross Negligence/Incompetence/Fraud ..... don't know why they kept him in the Business? :hmmmm .... but I understand he's since been made back up to Reserve DOM. :cuppa

Another massive flaw with this company, they don't punish the managers anything like they do OPG's. OPG steps out of line and it's a 2 year warning even for a first offence and they are made to feel like a common criminal. Manager steps out of line and it's either not investigated no matter how much the OPG or union pursue it or they are quietly moved sideways till things calm down.

Show a manager that they are untouchable and they become an even bigger ar$ehole than they currently are.

And they wonder why moral keeps falling, sick leave from stress and depression grows year on year and people can't wait to get out of the company.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1