not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 11:50

Most people consider this a well paid job. Weather this is because they have no friends outside of this job or they are single with no commitments I really don’t know. From my experience I am the laughing stock of my friends because I work the hardest, including Saturdays and earn less than nearly all of them. Some work in shops, on the buses, trains, and factories and all have nice cars and lovely homes. Most people I work with have nothing. Clapped out cars , renting because they can’t get a mortgage and just surviving.

I really think it’s probably easier if you are in this job up north where living is cheaper.Even the managers are on poor wages compared to other managerial jobs. I know this as my wife is a manager in a large company. The average wage in the uk is k28 so is this really a well paid job?

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 12:03

If you're a senior postie with a nice singleton rural duty then yes. For most other staff i would say no. The money may seem good for an unskilled job but when you factor in the backbreaking workloads, bullying and harrassment and all the other crap we have to put up with then IMO it isnt really.

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 12:15

I've always said yes it's well paid, however I live up north and my mortgage is very small and I have no children. If I wanted a larger house and wanted to have children I think I'd really struggle. But then I am only part time and that's my choice
So for people with new cars, a few kids and a decent size house I have no idea how they get by unless they're partners earn a decent amount

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 12:16

Defo no
Very demanding job
Hard on your body when people can get mostly same wage sitting on there arse in a telephone center

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 13:01

Yamr1 wrote:Defo no
Very demanding job
Hard on your body when people can get mostly same wage sitting on there arse in a telephone center

Done both.

Call centre - minimum wage, targets on calls taken, automated pushing calls through, cold calling (you don't like getting them I didn't like making them), every second watched, including toilet visits, unpaid breaks, calls recorded for later analysis, idiots calling you all the names under the sun (customer not managers) high-stress levels and no Union.

Would I swap that for an £11 per hour PT wage posties job - Not a f....... chance.

Perhaps the wrong question has been asked, is this job worth the stress and hassle and the toll it takes physically on a 20 hour or less wage - No. But for 30 - 38 hour its acceptable.

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 13:25

You do get good call center wages , wife works for a company as a boss but knows there pay grade shes not in the call center but they start at 20,000 and over certain time move up to 28,000 so more than a postie and about 1,000 bonus every yr

All company's different but as you no

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 13:26

Plus not cold calling

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 13:33

You have to remember everything that everybody else isnt real, cars are all rented houses are probably 100% mortgage and most people are just two pay packets away from loosing everything.

This is by far the best paid job i have had, i used to earn £25 more but i had to work an extra 15 hours to earn it. Can i afford a house? no can i afford to rent a house? no, can i afford a nice car? no, but ive never been able to with the other 4 jobs i have had and at least now im working a lot less.

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 15:15

Try getting a mortgage on £23k a year and you'll soon find out if your bank thinks we're well paid.

We're better paid than some and to be honest if you need to earn more you'll need some kind of qualifications but it's no fortune.

If you're a postie with a decent degree it's s**t money, if you've got one 'o' level in craft and design then you're probably at your own personal pay ceiling already.

You've got to know your limitations.

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 15:30

The pay is ok similar to my last job but the option of working outside and the finishing times swayed me too it, but the toll it’s taking on my body these days makes me think differently

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 15:53

If you enjoy the job and wake up everyday not dreading work then its well paid

I'd imagine no two postmen have the same level of satisfaction with the job

Look at the differences between a reserve driver in an office with a lot of disharmony with a bully manager and a postie with a manageable set walk in a nice location within an office with good banter between colleagues and decent management relations

Same job on paper but very very different

I enjoy the job and so would knock back better paid jobs to continue doing what I do now

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 16:26

If you're part time then it is impossible to survive with a family unless your other half is earning. I earned 17500 last year. My missus calls it "pin money". Hard to argue.

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 16:47

Good topic.

I like to think I’ve done some crap jobs - construction (backbreaking and dangerous), customer complaints in a call centre, even a stint as a glass collector in a rough pub having to wipe up people’s sick etc.

This isn’t one of the crap jobs, not in my eyes anyway. My average hours last year were 7 while 4 and I earned £27k for being outdoors delivering stuff. I’ve mates I went to uni with who design kitchens and work in marketing who are stressed as anything, have to take work home, frequently stay in the office till gone 6, are expected to do unpaid overtime at busy project times AND earned less than me.

I think it helps that I worked for RM, left to do other jobs then came back. I like to think I have a bit more of a balanced view than an old boy who started in the 1970s and says the job is dreadful but has never done a different job.

I was told my good feeling would pass once the honeymoon is over, I’ve been here 2 years now and still enjoy it, I never wake up dreading going in.

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 17:27

you must of done 10 or more hours over time a week to get 27 grand that takes some doin on delivery

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 18:20

Two year postie states can I afford a house? No. Can I afford a car? No ,can I afford to rent a house ? No. He has answered my question. Makes me think if you have to live like that, what’s the point?

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 18:32

mags999 wrote:you must of done 10 or more hours over time a week to get 27 grand that takes some doin on delivery

Theres a guy in my office does all the OT he can, works all his annual leave, days off and comes in at 4AM to sort the IPS.

He told me he earns 35K, i worked out that he once worked 60 hours per week OT when he was supposed to on annual leave. So he got almost 100 hours pay that week.

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 18:36

Decent job if you are getting more than 34 hours decent job if you are doing 20 hours and have few kids earning below £16000 decent job if you are looking to buy house below £14000 I got mortgage easily without any problem decent job if you happy with used car.... I still think this is the decent job with good pay and job security opertunity for more overtime

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 18:50

Shirtbuttons wrote:Two year postie states can I afford a house? No. Can I afford a car? No ,can I afford to rent a house ? No. He has answered my question. Makes me think if you have to live like that, what’s the point?

Ah, but the alternative for me is stacking in Tescos/packing in a warehouse and id have to work an extra 15 hours to get the same money to not be able to afford anything!

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 18:53

IMO it's reasonably paid. We aren't well paid, but we aren't badly paid either.

A lot of the issues some might have (apart from those who've been here years) would probably relate to the contracted hours more than anything, being part time.

I've done all sorts of jobs in all sorts of sectors. The "best paid" (for the time) was another unskilled job in a factory doing things like cleaning, putting labels on bottles, putting lids on, slicing cheese, boxing things up and palletising. Bit of overtime got me in the 40% tax bracket (ok quite a bit of OT tbf) around 20 years ago. I did hate the job though.

Been through all sorts of other stuff, in no particular order:

Driving (summer heat was intolerable stuck in a cab with what felt like an asthmatic blowing through a straw for "ventilation", and the bottle of warm yellow stuff for company. Lots of time pressure and entitled muppets "bending" the rules thinking their 5 minute jaunt to the hairdressers was much more important than the load you have in the back, with no regard to you having to conform to your tacho)
Construction (paid myself through college for years to get a trade, but ended up stuck in abusive pay schemes that the entire industry bought into whereby you're forced to pay just to get your wage, provided through a blatant [imo] tax fiddle [no idea if this still goes on], plus you never know if you've got a job next week, or how far you'd be commuting. As has been mentioned too: it's dangerous. Seen a couple of "life changing" accidents and a death on the sites I worked on)
Warehousing (one of the most "enjoyable" jobs in this, forklifting round a company yard on nights in summer. Just me, forklift, and a walkman. Pay was almost non-existant though)
Fiberglass factory (can't sleep due to the constant itching which went on for weeks after I quit. pay was crap too)

We could be better paid, and given the circumstances we work in we probably should be, but it isn't at "bad" pay levels IMO. I'll be blunt though: every single job out there has it's upsides and downsides. Until you try them you have no clue what goes on (bear in mind the people that seem to think we just deliver to their street then go home. You may be taking that line of thinking about any other job out there).

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 20:03

Or to put it another way a police constable starts at 20k a year, or £12hr, which job would you sooner do?

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4