not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE




1pm Starts

05 Aug 2020, 17:40

Hi all, hope you are all good and coping with the heat. Hoping Im ok to ask this here. I was hoping someone could give me some advice really. I work as a part timer on the 27.5 hour a week contract and since the whole "situation" has been in play Ive tried to play ball with the management and work from 1pm each day but other issues have popped up and Im looking to go back to my regular 9am starts. Only a handful of us have been doing 1pm starts and its not been rotational, not sure what other offices have had in play. I just wanted to ask you all if its obligatory that you work 1pm or is it optional??? Just wanted to have some info before going to management as I'm sure they won't be pleased. Many thanks in advance.

1pm Starts

05 Aug 2020, 17:56

Totally your choice, if you dom could force 1pm starts he would have more people doing it. But if he doesnt have a van for you they can send you to another office.

1pm Starts

05 Aug 2020, 18:06

If you are in the union and your rep is any good and not just looking after himself then speak to him about it first. He can speak to management on your behalf.

1pm Starts

05 Aug 2020, 18:30

its optional , as you dont have to change your regular working times if you dont want to .

1pm Starts

05 Aug 2020, 18:43

worktotime wrote:its optional , as you dont have to change your regular working times if you dont want to .


Is that true? I though your contract only specifies the number of contracted hours, not the start and end times, and the manager can set your hours to fit requirements (obviously you dont have to do OT unless you want to). Are you saying that if you regularly work set times you can insist on remaining on those times if asked to change? Only asking as I have had my start times pushed back to later in the day. Cheers.
Last edited by bucks123 on 05 Aug 2020, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.

1pm Starts

05 Aug 2020, 18:49

Bear in mind if Your full time and one of the main sorters You can’t come in late .Whos gonna Sort Mail for You to prep Your walk ?

1pm Starts

05 Aug 2020, 19:00

scoobydo79 wrote:Bear in mind if Your full time and one of the main sorters You can’t come in late .Whos gonna Sort Mail for You to prep Your walk ?


Why not? It would be easy enough to have you come in at 11:30am for instance, prep 3-4 duties, then dispatch at 1:30pm once vans come back.

1pm Starts

05 Aug 2020, 19:23

Thank you all for the advice, its appreciated. Just wanted an idea of what to expect upon putting it to management. There are plenty of people in the office that could have been running the same 1pm shift pattern that are also part timers but haven't been. So having been doing this for the last 4 months and having left other commitments I think I've more than played ball. Ill remain optimistic and hope management are understanding. Again many thanks all of you!

1pm Starts

05 Aug 2020, 20:09

Your manager is taking the mickey knowing that you are understanding and his eyes he sees you as soft.

Put your foot down and tell him nicely that after 4 months of starting at 1 pm your family commitments won`t let you anymore and you want to start in the morning (check your contract if it says what`s your starting time).

Also speak to your union rep first if you can, good luck :)

1pm Starts

05 Aug 2020, 20:19

Cucumber wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote:Bear in mind if Your full time and one of the main sorters You can’t come in late .Whos gonna Sort Mail for You to prep Your walk ?


Why not? It would be easy enough to have you come in at 11:30am for instance, prep 3-4 duties, then dispatch at 1:30pm once vans come back.

So who will sort the packets and letters/flats that come into the office at 5.40am?

1pm Starts

05 Aug 2020, 20:42

scoobydo79 wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote:Bear in mind if Your full time and one of the main sorters You can’t come in late .Whos gonna Sort Mail for You to prep Your walk ?


Why not? It would be easy enough to have you come in at 11:30am for instance, prep 3-4 duties, then dispatch at 1:30pm once vans come back.

So who will sort the packets and letters/flats that come into the office at 5.40am?

Our final dispatch to the DOs is 06:15. Most DOs get all their SDs on that dispatch

1pm Starts

05 Aug 2020, 20:48

scoobydo79 wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote:Bear in mind if Your full time and one of the main sorters You can’t come in late .Whos gonna Sort Mail for You to prep Your walk ?


Why not? It would be easy enough to have you come in at 11:30am for instance, prep 3-4 duties, then dispatch at 1:30pm once vans come back.

So who will sort the packets and letters/flats that come into the office at 5.40am?


What % of the staff in at 6/6:30am are actually sorting the letters/flats/packets. I'd bet that some are doing that and some are prepping frames - agreed?
With a bit more planning/ flexibility, there's nothing to stop some full time staff sorting IPS, others prep the early departures then all leave at 8:30-9am.
Next wave of full time start at 11-11:30am, prep their own duties, plus duties of part time later starts. Vans back for 1:30pm, out you go.

What I'm getting at is that no office needs 100% full time staff in at first thing in the morning, they might WANT to, but they don't NEED to be in.

1pm Starts

05 Aug 2020, 21:29

Our DOM asked for volunteers to work different times. Those that volunteered are working 11am-5pm, but almost all of them work their normal times on a Saturday. In all honesty if they wanted to go back onto their normal working hours, I don't really see what DOM can do about it.

1pm Starts

05 Aug 2020, 21:59

ScousePostie wrote:Our DOM asked for volunteers to work different times. Those that volunteered are working 11am-5pm, but almost all of them work their normal times on a Saturday. In all honesty if they wanted to go back onto their normal working hours, I don't really see what DOM can do about it.


Cant do a thing because its voluntary. We've got about 4 out of 60 starting late in our office because it suits them. But they've already said as winter approaches they aren't doing it anymore. It was 5 but that person sacked it off after waiting 2 hours for a van on a saturday

1pm Starts

05 Aug 2020, 22:57

I thought the point was to socially distance

1pm Starts

06 Aug 2020, 07:40

worktotime wrote:its optional , as you dont have to change your regular working times if you dont want to .

If it is optional, if nobody volunteered how would any form of social distancing take place in the morning?
If everybody just turned up at their normal time, could we all just say the place is unsafe and stop work?

I think changes to attendance patterns caused by the introduction of packets only Saturday were supposed to be voluntary, unless you were a part time reserve.

1pm Starts

16 Aug 2020, 16:44

I like you was asked to volunteer to work a later shift (11-4) when COVID kicked off in March, which I agreed to as I thought it would be safer.

Due to my walk being slightly amended recently (meaning a longer walk )I asked the DOM for overtime as not only is my walk longer but I’m always waiting around for a van for up to an hour after tieing up.

Rather than be offered the overtime I was told I am to start at 12 rather than 11. When I spoke to my union rep about this and he reviewed my contract it would appear that RM are entitled to do this due to some new flexibility clause being introduced into the newer contracts ( I started at RM 1.5 years ago).

I was obviously very surprised to find this out so I would be interested to know how your Dom responds to asking to revert back to normal working hours.

1pm Starts

16 Aug 2020, 17:55

Bobbyh wrote:I like you was asked to volunteer to work a later shift (11-4) when COVID kicked off in March, which I agreed to as I thought it would be safer.

Due to my walk being slightly amended recently (meaning a longer walk )I asked the DOM for overtime as not only is my walk longer but I’m always waiting around for a van for up to an hour after tieing up.

Rather than be offered the overtime I was told I am to start at 12 rather than 11. When I spoke to my union rep about this and he reviewed my contract it would appear that RM are entitled to do this due to some new flexibility clause being introduced into the newer contracts ( I started at RM 1.5 years ago).

I was obviously very surprised to find this out so I would be interested to know how your Dom responds to asking to revert back to normal working hours.


i made a thread about this earlier in the week but no one believed me!
In my office all part timers are being given the choice of being forced to work afternoon shifts on a rota or putting your car at Rms disposal (them insuring it) and following a van around on park and loop duties (no mail in private cars)

1pm Starts

16 Aug 2020, 18:02

Yes, we were also asked to use our private cars to follow the main driver in their van but I found out RM only offer 3rd party insurance so I opted against that

1pm Starts

16 Aug 2020, 18:15

Bobbyh wrote:Yes, we were also asked to use our private cars to follow the main driver in their van but I found out RM only offer 3rd party insurance so I opted against that


Seems my thread earlier in the week was accurate after all then.

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3