not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 14:34

When finishing & parking up our vans we been told to put van in gear, if we don’t do it we will be in office with conduct.

Any other office have to do this?

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 14:46

Total rubbish, carried out a RM parking survey 3 weeks age and parking on hill in gear reverse or 1st depending on facing up or down hill also turning wheels. Parking on level ground hand brake only and that is RM policy. Also I would argue that not everyone dips the clutch when starting a vehicle, van lunges forward hitting van or wall in front. Common Sense some thing that DOMs have.

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 14:53

Daveg50 wrote:Total rubbish, carried out a RM parking survey 3 weeks age and parking on hill in gear reverse or 1st depending on facing up or down hill also turning wheels. Parking on level ground hand brake only and that is RM policy. Also I would argue that not everyone dips the clutch when starting a vehicle, van lunges forward hitting van or wall in front. Common Sense some thing that DOMs have.

Manager is saying it’s rm policy! Manager went round all vans this morning & counted 14 with gear in neutral, we had to sign a form.

Like you said it’s common sense if your parked on hill then I would understand to put it in gear. Is there anywhere. Is there anywhere I can find rm parking policy online?

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 15:00

Could try the RM drivers manual, might be something in there. Just weight for the first accident when someone jumps in a van in a hurry and doesn't depress the clutch.

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 15:07

Daveg50 wrote:Could try the RM drivers manual, might be something in there. Just weight for the first accident when someone jumps in a van in a hurry and doesn't depress the clutch.

This has come up because someone had a roll away on delivery. That have come up with a slogan H.I.T (handbrake, in gear, turn wheel)!!!

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 15:28

Must admit I always leave any vehicle I drive in gear when parking I was taught that when learning to drive 46 years ago and must mention my current car will not start unless the clutch is pressed .passed my Royal Mail driving assessment in a Morris minor :cuppa

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 15:42

From an electronic copy of the RM Driving Manual (no date on it unfortunately):

Page 44:

End of duty
At the completion of duty you must:
• Park in the appropriate place.
• Apply the parking brake,
turn off all electrical equipment and cab/
load-space lights.
• Remove all mail, bags,pouches, street furniture keys and scanning
devices from the vehicle.
• Lock all doors and shutters and close all windows.
• Activate the alarm (if applicable).
• Complete the logbook and hand it in with the vehicle keys.
• Where applicable complete your vehicle logbook and tachograph chart.
Dispose of street furniture keys and scanning devices in accordance
with local arrangements
• Report any defects or incidents that have occurred.
• Ensure all vehicle lights are turned off (both exterior and interior).

But we've all been briefed in the past about 'HIT' for parking on hills but not on flat car parks for the very reason of someone
accidentally not depressing the clutch and lurching forward as Daveg said.

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 15:52

Due to the new handbrakes don't work shitty vans purchased/leased...

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 28&t=78662
&
https://www.myroyalmail.com/news/2019/01/think-hit

ALWAYS leave the vehicle in a low gear – use first gear if facing uphill or on level ground, and use reverse if facing downhill

THINK H.I.T. – Handbrake on, In gear, Turn wheels

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 16:05

panzer4 wrote:Must admit I always leave any vehicle I drive in gear when parking I was taught that when learning to drive 46 years ago and must mention my current car will not start unless the clutch is pressed .passed my Royal Mail driving assessment in a Morris minor :cuppa

Passed my R M Test in 1965 in a Morris 240 , part of the test was demonstrating you new how to " Double De Clutch "

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 16:35

That have come up with a slogan H.I.T (handbrake, in gear, turn wheel)!!!
you forgot S before the H for stop!

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 16:38

Problem with that is because they have tiny gearboxes the shitty little Bippers have a tendancy to suffer from gearbox freezing overnight in the winter up here (yes it does get that cold).

There's a few times I've had to wait 10 minutes with the engine running until the whole thing warms up enough to change gear and I don't fancy sitting with the clutch in for that long, I'll get cramp.

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 17:28

Daveg50 wrote:Could try the RM drivers manual, might be something in there. Just weight for the first accident when someone jumps in a van in a hurry and doesn't depress the clutch.

Its a basic thing you never start a car without checking if its in gear no matter how much a hurry you are in.

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 17:34

Woody Guthrie wrote:Problem with that is because they have tiny gearboxes the shitty little Bippers have a tendancy to suffer from gearbox freezing overnight in the winter up here (yes it does get that cold).

There's a few times I've had to wait 10 minutes with the engine running until the whole thing warms up enough to change gear and I don't fancy sitting with the clutch in for that long, I'll get cramp.

That true those Peugeot bippers are the worst

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 19:15

Every bloody day we have been hearing about in gear handbrake on, are they getting a massive spike in roll aways?

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 19:26

Your manager sounds like a jobsworth, any good manager with a brain would not be going around checking vans are in neutral!

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 20:04

Munchboii wrote:Your manager sounds like a jobsworth, any good manager with a brain would not be going around checking vans are in neutral!

To be fair it’s his manager telling him to do it!

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 21:38

To be fair it’s his manager telling him to do it!

and that's why we need to get rid of 2,000 of them. Too many managers with not enough real work to do

Parking vans in work.

13 Jul 2020, 21:57

Next they will insist we can’t drive with the seatbelt plugged in behind us to stop the beeping.

Parking vans in work.

14 Jul 2020, 07:57

cpsteve wrote:

Its a basic thing you never start a car without checking if its in gear no matter how much a hurry you are in.

I was taught the same, always leave it in gear. If someone doesn’t check it’s in gear before starting the engine then it doesn’t say much for their awareness - I don’t care how much of a rush they are in...I mean, what next, forgot to put seatbelt on, forgot to look both ways at a junction etc.

Parking vans in work.

14 Jul 2020, 10:13

does seem strange that they would do you for not putting it in gear on but not for leaving rubbish in it, leaving mail in it, leaving bags,trays,elastic bands and trolleys in it and leaving the passengers seat belt fixed in the drivers side, whoa but all hell will be unleashed if you dont put it in gear.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1