not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Bikes

05 Jul 2020, 08:48

What’s happened? Overnight a mate who works at another office said no cycling out to deliveries is allowed.It was OK during the lockdown and RM were asking people to do it.Now suddenly it’s not allowed. When it suits eh?

Bikes

05 Jul 2020, 09:22

It was never officially allowed.

From the guidance on temporary use of private vehicles dated 7th May.

This is limited to the use of private cars or vans – the use of motorcycles, cycles, e-scooters etc, is not permitted.

Bikes

05 Jul 2020, 13:52

Interesting lol .Our boss would have let Us go round on a firkin unicycle rather than have walks failing .It seemed OK to load mail into Your own car when they were in deep sh1t also. :arrrghhh

Bikes

06 Jul 2020, 19:45

Woody Guthrie wrote:It was never officially allowed.

This is limited to the use of private cars or vans – the use of motorcycles, cycles, e-scooters etc, is not permitted.

Weirdly every time they change something in the Corona brief, this keeps going back and forward.

No cycles, to covey, transport, travel anywhere on delivery or to delivery unless it is an approved RMG duty Structure

Bikes

06 Jul 2020, 20:50

A noticeable pulling back from things like this in our office, yet they are still happy with cars on delivery. It's making even more duties fail. Any reason?

Bikes

06 Jul 2020, 21:25

Cucumber wrote:A noticeable pulling back from things like this in our office, yet they are still happy with cars on delivery. It's making even more duties fail. Any reason?

Will be some sort of health and safety/insurance thing

Bikes

06 Jul 2020, 21:30

Acca Dacca wrote:
Cucumber wrote:A noticeable pulling back from things like this in our office, yet they are still happy with cars on delivery. It's making even more duties fail. Any reason?

Will be some sort of health and safety/insurance thing

Ah, could be to do with offices getting visits etc from H and S.

Bikes

06 Jul 2020, 21:32

So just to be clear are we not allowed to ride bikes or mopeds to our delivery points even though no mail is being carried on them.
Apparently theres a form you can fill in and sign that covers you for insurance purposes is this just for private cars.

Bikes

06 Jul 2020, 21:43

Should have made more of those e-trikes. I'm sure someone would have used it

Bikes

24 Jul 2020, 07:55

Woody Guthrie wrote:It was never officially allowed.

Apparently it is allowed. Here is the response I got from justsayit.
I have made enquiries and been informed that a number of colleagues at your office do indeed cycle to meet up with a van that leaves the office with their mail. The colleagues meet up with the driver and collect the bags of mail then complete duty and return to meet the van driver handing back any parcels and PDA’s which are then returned to the office by the van driver. This has been implemented to reduce the headcount in the office and to ensure social distancing is maintained. I am assured that for the very good reasons you mention no mail is taken out by bicycle.
Once again thank you for writing in and raising your concerns
Kind regards
Phil Northage
Just Say It channel manager

Back in the day I seem to remember a hi-vis and a cycle helmet were mandatory. Now (in the words of Cole Porter) anything goes.
I am shocked if the union has agreed to this.

Bikes

24 Jul 2020, 08:17

That's a strange anomaly because the guidance which was updated yesterday still states...

Can postmen use cycles to convey to their first point of delivery or on delivery?

No cycles should be used to covey, transport, travel anywhere on delivery or to delivery points unless it is part of an approved RMG duty Structure

Left hand, right hand.
Which hand do you believe?

Bikes

24 Jul 2020, 11:44

If they don't allow bikes don't use them it's their problem. I think half the problem in rm at the moment is the lack of cycle routes /rounds and getting rid of bag drops they burnt their bridges big time. The walking with park and loop is enormous and if they had kept some cycle rounds it would have solved a lot of problems for people's joints the average walk on a cycle round was about 7 miles and you could use your bike between points.

Bikes

24 Jul 2020, 15:13

Woody Guthrie wrote:
No cycles should be used to convey, transport, travel anywhere on delivery or to delivery points unless it is part of an approved RMG duty Structure

What is an approved RMG duty structure?
Who approves it?
Maybe I should ask my new BFF Phil?

Bikes

24 Jul 2020, 16:23

mbavelja wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:
No cycles should be used to convey, transport, travel anywhere on delivery or to delivery points unless it is part of an approved RMG duty Structure

What is an approved RMG duty structure?
Who approves it?
Maybe I should ask my new BFF Phil?

I'm assuming it's one that was designed as part of a revision.

Bikes

24 Jul 2020, 16:37

Would bikes even be allowed now under mail integrity rules (too easy for a thief to nick a bike)?

Bikes

24 Jul 2020, 22:44

SpacePhoenix wrote:Would bikes even be allowed now under mail integrity rules (too easy for a thief to nick a bike)?

I would assume rather than delivering mail from the bike, people have been cycling out to their walks as oppose to sharing a van to get there. You could then work out the back of van with a lwt as normal with the partner driving. There's no way you could deliver what we do on a bike nowadays.

Bikes

28 Jul 2020, 16:12

So it is not allowed:
I received this today from justsayit.

I must apologise for possibly providing mis-leading information. I have re-read what the DOM sent me and it was not confirmed that cycles were being used to connect with vans as the DOM was not clear at that point what modes of transport colleagues were using from their homes to meet the vans. I have been in touch with our Senior HSE team who confirmed what you rightly pointed out that cycles are not permitted. I have written to the DOM and explained if any of the team are using cycles then this should stop.

I think the confusion arose because of this snippet:
6. Another option that could be considered is for OPGs to use either local council cycles and/or maybe their own private cycles as an option to the first delivery point.

But if I have understood correctly you can travel by cycle to the first delivery point from your home but not from work.

Bikes

28 Jul 2020, 16:52

mbavelja wrote:So it is not allowed:
I received this today from justsayit.

I must apologise for possibly providing mis-leading information. I have re-read what the DOM sent me and it was not confirmed that cycles were being used to connect with vans as the DOM was not clear at that point what modes of transport colleagues were using from their homes to meet the vans. I have been in touch with our Senior HSE team who confirmed what you rightly pointed out that cycles are not permitted. I have written to the DOM and explained if any of the team are using cycles then this should stop.

I think the confusion arose because of this snippet:
6. Another option that could be considered is for OPGs to use either local council cycles and/or maybe their own private cycles as an option to the first delivery point.

But if I have understood correctly you can travel by cycle to the first delivery point from your home but not from work.

That’s bloody ridiculous.Especially if You cycle to Your office from home anyway.Who the F in RM thinks this up? No one in My office used their bike on delivery.It was just to get to their first loop and back afterwards

Bikes

28 Jul 2020, 19:10

I assume it is to do with liability.
If you have an accident on the way to work RM aren't liable.
If you have an accident at work then they are.

Bikes

28 Jul 2020, 19:24

The weird thing about this is that I've seen posties put their bikes in the van with the intention of cycling home. Whats to stop then from cycling to the loops as they aren't allowed van share??

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2