not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE



Manager Harassment & Stress

20 Jun 2020, 17:34

Hi all,

Don't know if some of you recognize my name but I'm a P/T on a 25hr contract and have been with RM just over a year now, recently my DOM has come back after being away ill for the better part of a year and will not leave me alone. I seem to always get spoken to about something I'm doing wrong even if I'm surrounded by those doing the same. Have been told I am a “dangerous driver” although I have driven professionally for years and had no word from anyone in our office while my dom was away, and that I’m mopey and unhappy at work when I’m looked at? The final straw was today when I arrived to work at 10:45 and was told to sit down in the office for a "chat", I was asked why I was not completing my rounds and cutting off and that it was selfish of me now that someone else has to do my work and was told that maybe this job isn't for me and basically threatened me with willful delay . The previous day I was tasked with a frame that had two days worth of post on it from not going out and 3 bags from the day before that, plus packets, O/S and specials. I did all the bags that had come back from the day before and all my tracked/specials and 3 bags from the frame itself but had to cut 2 bags, a bundle and some non tracked packets as I ran out of time. Before I went out I told my lino that I would struggle and he just said "ok, do what you can''. I spent all of this meeting this morning defending myself, myjob and my ability just to be told that I'm no good and that this job isn't for me.

I was also told that I don't get a 30 min break but a 20 min one and that numerous complaints have been made about me from other managers including my lino? I just want to know what I can do about this? I'm really stressed out about it. When I come into the office at 12:30 I have to prep my frame and load up which takes at least 30 mins plus my break that's another 20-30mins so before I've even left the office I'm an hour down and I explained this but all I got was "all the duties in the office and 4 hours long, it shouldn't take you any longer than that, I don’t understand what the problem is".

I'm treated differently to other staff and am given impossible rounds to complete with my hours and I'm not the only one, other P/T in my office are also given crazy amounts to do and we’re pushed from pillar to post without warning and it's getting quite difficult. Up until recently I was called every morning to tell me when to come into work as they don't have enough vans and basically waited from 9:00 each morning for a call to come in. I end up running on delivery most days just so I can finish on time and when I don’t I end up being late with cut off and they won’t pay O/T.

What can I do? Our union rep is my DOMs buddy so no chance of any help there, I almost want to take some time off due to stress because of how I’ve been spoken to. All I do is try my best and this is how you’re treated.

Manager Harassment & Stress

20 Jun 2020, 17:52

Go above your rep to the branch or the area rep, this is bullying and should not be tolerated in the workplace, I suggest you keep a diary of times, dates etc, work you are coming into, all that,s relevent to your working day, beat your dom with facts, not hearsay and myths, which seems to be his ideology, good luck.

Manager Harassment & Stress

20 Jun 2020, 18:01

osgoody1970 wrote:Go above your rep to the branch or the area rep, this is bullying and should not be tolerated in the workplace, I suggest you keep a diary of times, dates etc, work you are coming into, all that,s relevent to your working day, beat your dom with facts, not hearsay and myths, which seems to be his ideology, good luck.

good advice :thumbup , and who do these bastards thing they are :evil/mad .

Manager Harassment & Stress

20 Jun 2020, 18:55

Ask him to come out on the round with you and he can give you pointers on what you could do differently to complete on time if he feels you should be doing more - ask for retraining from the workplace coach - call their bluff

Put this on record with your rep present

Im not a betting man but if I was I would put a lot of money on him not bothering his arse

Manager Harassment & Stress

20 Jun 2020, 19:22

On the break issue. In this RMTV video May 2018 (although it's a process q&a) at 06.50 Simon Barker states the breaks for delivery by quoting the way forward agreement "we have commitments between 5-7 hours, 30 minutes..."
I do not know the duration of your shift.

https://www.myroyalmail.com/rmtv/rmtv-7 ... process-qa

Way forward post meal breaks;
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 36&t=22175

Manager Harassment & Stress

20 Jun 2020, 20:25

Thanks for all the kind words and advice, I'm on 5 hour shifts so 30 mins is correct, looks like my DOM is wrong. I think I'm gonna try and contact my area rep or have a word with my local to see what he can do, not sure if he will do anything, but I'll ask anyway.

It's horrible that I have to defend my job on the spot without union help, another part of the "chat" I had to answer for was why I was talking to a colleague outside the locker for 10-15 mins. My manager timed our conversation in the background and brought up at the end of the meeting if you can believe it. We were just talking about gardening while I was logging into my gun. My response was that It's nice to talk to work colleagues as the whole job is social and it helps because all the social "places" are shut at the moment, straight away they said that my performance was a mental health issue and was told that if I wanted I could start earlier and work a park and loop as long as I used my own car to follow a van. Again I'm not sure if that's allowed?

The whole situation is FUBAR

Manager Harassment & Stress

20 Jun 2020, 20:32

So sorry you are going through this harassment,first you must contact the area rep and tell them,next time you are asked in for a chat ask for a witness or record the conversation on your phone and most important contact the bully and harassment helpline and see your doctor .i know this sounds a lot to deal with and you will have doubts about continuing ,stay strong you will win , I did

Manager Harassment & Stress

20 Jun 2020, 20:51

Another thing to point out to this Dom is, you work a 5 hour day I presume, which is made up of, a four hour walk(the Dom’s words) 30 minute break, travel to and from said walk, lets say 20 minutes, leaves ten minutes to pouch off at the end of your duty, I therefore take it,that you have to do no redirections, tying up or loading a van?? Because their is no time left??

Manager Harassment & Stress

20 Jun 2020, 21:22

Never go in the managers office without a rep, or trustworthy colleague!

Manager Harassment & Stress

20 Jun 2020, 22:27

Sounds a nasty piece of work,but then that’s not surprising,we’ve heard it all before,and can’t be tolerated,it needs to be taken higher,I’d be happy to lock horns with him,and challenge him with a smile on every aspect of his mismanagement behaviour,unlike him who should know better,follow procedure to the letter,he obviously has issues in how he deals with his staff,and needs addressing,I wish you well,keep us updated.

Manager Harassment & Stress

20 Jun 2020, 22:45

Jamesfr3man wrote:Thanks for all the kind words and advice, I'm on 5 hour shifts so 30 mins is correct, looks like my DOM is wrong. I think I'm gonna try and contact my area rep or have a word with my local to see what he can do, not sure if he will do anything, but I'll ask anyway.

It's horrible that I have to defend my job on the spot without union help, another part of the "chat" I had to answer for was why I was talking to a colleague outside the locker for 10-15 mins. My manager timed our conversation in the background and brought up at the end of the meeting if you can believe it. We were just talking about gardening while I was logging into my gun. My response was that It's nice to talk to work colleagues as the whole job is social and it helps because all the social "places" are shut at the moment, straight away they said that my performance was a mental health issue and was told that if I wanted I could start earlier and work a park and loop as long as I used my own car to follow a van. Again I'm not sure if that's allowed?

The whole situation is FUBAR

Firstly, you most definitely should not be getting bullied like this. I would say however, that you aren't helping yourself if you are seen chatting for 15 mins, that's not on really, unless you're on your break. It doesn't take one minute to login to your PDA. Did your Dom take this up with the person you were chatting with? If not then there's evidence straight away of harassment of YOU.
The way the business is now, every minute should be spent working productively, unless you're taking your break. May sound harsh but that's the way it is and you will be taken up on it if you don't work like this. Of course like I said, if others are the same as you but only you get 'the chat' in the office, then you have a case. Nobody should be made to feel stressed by going to work.

Manager Harassment & Stress

20 Jun 2020, 22:55

osgoody1970 wrote:Another thing to point out to this Dom is, you work a 5 hour day I presume, which is made up of, a four hour walk(the Dom’s words) 30 minute break, travel to and from said walk, lets say 20 minutes, leaves ten minutes to pouch off at the end of your duty, I therefore take it,that you have to do no redirections, tying up or loading a van?? Because their is no time left??

And don't forget the increased volume at the moment. Follow the advice that's been given and report to the area rep. Good luck mate.

Manager Harassment & Stress

22 Jun 2020, 18:13

You didn't mention if you was in the CWU? I'm assuming you are and if your Unit rep can't help then I would contact your Area rep. The advices given previously are very relevant.

1. Don't go in the managers office without a rep or another colleague present
2. Keep a diary if you think you're being bullied


What will completely stop them in their tracks though are the words "bullying and harassment". Give the bullying and harassment helpline a call on 0800 5874 777 (I don't know if they are still open due to the pandemic, but its suppose to be a 24/7 service).

Manager Harassment & Stress

22 Jun 2020, 18:49

Get your area rep to go in with you, if your rep is friends with the Dom he needs to step down, as a rep myself I cannot tolerate these reps who are out for themselves

Manager Harassment & Stress

24 Jun 2020, 00:47

As regarding any threat to accuse you of willful delay, follow the correct procedure for cutting off. It is in your union handbook.
You tell them (in front of witness preferably) that you may not be able to complete in your duty time. My answer to all questions thereafter is simple and one they cannot dispute. 4 simple words: that's not my problem. Works every time and infuriates them as what your really saying is: that's your problem! Let them deal with it.

Manager Harassment & Stress

24 Jun 2020, 15:44

Hi all, thanks for all the advice and kind words. I've gone around my local rep and straight to my regional rep to deal with this problem, hopefully it can be sorted out. Today I came into the office and was told to take my car out on delivery by following a van following our meeting on saturday, I refused stating that I had been advised by our union that it was not RM policy. Luckily my DOM wasn't in and my lino got the wind up him, straight as I mentioned the word “union”. I however have been told that because I said I was going to use my car in the “meeting” on saturday for wednesdays delivery my DOM is going to have a meeting with me tomorrow because I lied? Today I walked to my start point and did as much as I could, I texted my lino that I would struggle and I ended up cutting 3 bags as it takes 25 mins to walk from the office to the start point, X2 that and it's almost an hour worth of delivery time.

Am I in the wrong here? What can I say tomorrow during the second installment of bollock vision that will keep me in the clear?

Manager Harassment & Stress

24 Jun 2020, 16:17

Unless you have business insurance, you are not insured to drive your car to the start of the delverypoint, so therefore, your stance would be, “I,m not insured to use my car for work purposes, and I did not know this at the time, you have all the bullets here, use them, 4 hour delivery, 30 mins break, 25 mins ew to and from delivery point, tell them to do the maths, cannot be done in 5 hours.

Manager Harassment & Stress

24 Jun 2020, 18:44

Jamesfr3man wrote:Hi all, thanks for all the advice and kind words. I've gone around my local rep and straight to my regional rep to deal with this problem, hopefully it can be sorted out. Today I came into the office and was told to take my car out on delivery by following a van following our meeting on saturday, I refused stating that I had been advised by our union that it was not RM policy. Luckily my DOM wasn't in and my lino got the wind up him, straight as I mentioned the word “union”. I however have been told that because I said I was going to use my car in the “meeting” on saturday for wednesdays delivery my DOM is going to have a meeting with me tomorrow because I lied? Today I walked to my start point and did as much as I could, I texted my lino that I would struggle and I ended up cutting 3 bags as it takes 25 mins to walk from the office to the start point, X2 that and it's almost an hour worth of delivery time.

Am I in the wrong here? What can I say tomorrow during the second installment of bollock vision that will keep me in the clear?


You are under no obligation to use your own car, especially as you probably don't have business insurance, it's Royal mails responsibility to transport you. Them calling you a liar for changing your mind about using your own car is a stretch to be honest. Take a rep/witness/trusted colleague in to the meeting and log/ record what is said.

Manager Harassment & Stress

24 Jun 2020, 20:23

Also take your contract in and ask them to point to the section which says you should be willing to use your car for business purposes.

Manager Harassment & Stress

24 Jun 2020, 23:34

Jamesfr3man wrote:Hi all, thanks for all the advice and kind words. I've gone around my local rep and straight to my regional rep to deal with this problem, hopefully it can be sorted out. Today I came into the office and was told to take my car out on delivery by following a van following our meeting on saturday, I refused stating that I had been advised by our union that it was not RM policy. Luckily my DOM wasn't in and my lino got the wind up him, straight as I mentioned the word “union”. I however have been told that because I said I was going to use my car in the “meeting” on saturday for wednesdays delivery my DOM is going to have a meeting with me tomorrow because I lied? Today I walked to my start point and did as much as I could, I texted my lino that I would struggle and I ended up cutting 3 bags as it takes 25 mins to walk from the office to the start point, X2 that and it's almost an hour worth of delivery time.

Am I in the wrong here? What can I say tomorrow during the second installment of bollock vision that will keep me in the clear?


As far as I understand ( or misunderstand) Royal Mail's insurance covers u to drive to your first delivery point only. I dont believe you are allowed to drive your car following the Royal Mail after this point ie you'd be driving without insurance. You are also not allowed to carry mail in your car. I walk the 15 min to my first bag. Same after the last loop. I can drive but why would i waste my fuel + wear & tear on the car without any compensation.

From what u have said it looks like u followed the correct procedure.

You should keep calm and respond politely to any questions. If you want to annoy them u can get cheeky with your answers but presented in a polite manner. I'd advise to take someone with you to the meeting as a witness preferably the area rep.

You didnt lie as after careful consideration u've decided not to take ur car on delivery as you can safely & timely walk to ur start point unless they wish to provide a van for u to drive. Mention this was on the advice on the union. The high cost of fuel & wear on the tyres could be covered with a fulltime contract.

I'd also fill in a grievance form making it official stating the dom is trying to bully u into taking ur car on delivery & follow the RM van.

Keep a diary of things as its easier to back up ur case with a written list of these "micro-aggressions".

Regarding the duty u did with 2 days worth of post. Last week it TWO guys to complete ONE walk + only parcels from the other walk & they left parcels too. This walk only partially cleared the previous day. One of the guys u'd say he was at it but they other guy is a hard worker so we believed them.

If want to get nasty you can say some of the following but its not productive.
(1) maybe suggest to the manager as he's been on "holiday" for a while and he's not quite up to speed with things. You'll let this slid this time because a decent dom would have seen the workload and allocated the correct resources.

(2) "I explained this but all I got was "all the duties in the office and 4 hours long, it shouldn't take you any longer than that, I don’t understand what the problem is". Tell him thats the problem. He doesnt understand the problem. Maybe time for another holiday or find alternative employment for his level of expertise.

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 2   1, 2